Pad Patter | Random Question

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by jk703, Feb 28, 2023.

1. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

Haha! Let's all answer a random question... and chime in on other's questions if we want.

Here is a site that gives you a random question.... https://randomwordgenerator.com/question.php
    Then post it here and answer it! :giggle
    All the questions!

[​IMG]

My question:

1. How far back can you trace your family tree?
    Pretty far. My family has a history of including family names within our names. My name has my mothers maiden name, my mothers has her mom's maiden name... and it goes back for a number of years. My kids have my maiden name in their names as well.

I can also see when my grandfather came over to the Status of Liberty and found his name on a school trip.

RebeccaH likes this.
  2. tanteva

tanteva Even the professionals are bewildered

How difficult is it for you to try new things?

Depends on how interested I am. ADHD - have either no brakes or nothing but brakes. I'm not scared of new things, but I really have to be interested to bother doing things.

As for tracing my family tree:
    Almost every Swede can follow their tree back to the 1600s, when they begun to create the registers. However, it can be difficult at times. But I have gotten back there many times. But if you're happy to have some "fancy" ancestors, you can go way back. I haven't done the research myself, but from a book I've bought I can go back to a nobleman named Heinrich Knorr who lived in what today is Latvia, in the early 1400s.

RebeccaH, designbylime and jk703 like this.
  3. dotcomkari

dotcomkari The Deaf Superstar

Do you people watch?

Yes. I love to people watch. Sometimes me and my daughters Bianca and "Alex' will sit at the mall and watch people and make up stories about what we think they are doing that day or what their lives are like. .
    May be werid.. but it gets me out of my own head for a bit and brings for some good laughs

kimingvtx likes this.
  4. jk703

If I'm interested, I'll try new things. If I'm not, I don't really want to.

People watching is the best! I could sit anywhere and be happy watching people. We've made up stories too, lol!

5. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

What is the last thing that you totally overreacted to?

A few weeks ago, my mum went to take the recycling and rubbish (trash/garbage) downstairs as she normally does in the evening - it normally takes 5 mins at most. When she got downstairs, she realised the bins were actually up at the street so went and got them in. When she got up there she saw a neighbour she hadn't seen for awhile (my mum works shift work so has different hours than normal, often not getting home until 8.30-10.30pm) and she got talking with zero concept of time. I was wondering what was going on knowing more than likely she wasn't too far away (her cellphone, keys & wallet were all inside at home) but couldn't check as it was too dark to safely go down the stairs as the risk is I would get stuck down stairs with no way of getting help so I did the only thing I could given over two hours had passed and rang the police to say she was "missing". About half an hour later, she comes up the stairs so I asked where she had been and she explained all. I rang the police back saying she was safe and sound. My mum just had no concept of the fact she had been gone for nearly three hours! I felt incredibly guilty I had rung the police on my own mother but she did understand why I had done it.

RebeccaH and jk703 like this.
  6. designbylime

designbylime Definitely a cat person.

What memory have you been thinking about a lot lately?

My mothers green fingers. She was an amazing gardener but somehow everything always grew so much better in my garden that I didn't pay much attentions to:) Now that I'm putting me seeds for my herbal garden this year I would have loved her opinion on some of the herbs.

RebeccaH and jk703 like this.
  7. Memaw2Wm

Memaw2Wm Well-Known Member

What is the next thing you have on your to-buy list?
    A new car ... well a Honda CR-V to be exact. My youngest grandson (live-in) FINALLY got his driver's learner's permit. He's due to graduate high school in June, turns 18 in September and will need a vehicle to go to community college and a part-time job. I was going to buy him 2012-2013 Honda Civic, but at $15,000+ I decided to give him my 2016 Civic and buy myself a new car instead.

Jennifer, I once called the police b/c I couldn't locate my teenage daughter ... I'd called all of her friends (or so I thought), one of them said they'd seen her way over on the other side of our subdivision (1,600 houses) with a stranger. So I called the police ... they drove their cruisers through the neighborhood, talked to her friends, and were getting ready to have the police helicopter start searching when I remember she had a new-ish friend that lived just outside of our subdivision. Called that friend and yeah she was there.

After that she was REALLY good about leaving me a note ... this was back in the 90s before everyone had cell phones.

jk703 likes this.
  8. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

1. What technology advance are you looking forward to in the future?
    I always used to say wouldn't it be great if we could video chat with overseas loved ones. And now we can so I realy can't begin to think what the future might hold in technological advances.

jk703 likes this.
  9. LoveItScrapIt

LoveItScrapIt I'm a poet, and everyone knows it!

1. What would you be really good at if it wasn't for one thing?

a. I think I'd be really good at Ted Talks if it wasn't for my fear of speaking in public. rofl

jk703 likes this.
  10. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

What part of history do you find most interesting?

civil war
    George Washington
    John adams
    Abe lincoln
    Thomas jefferson

jk703 and HavaDrPepper like this.
  11. KayTeaPea

KayTeaPea I carried a watermelon

1. What future year are you most looking forward to arriving? I think 2050, as I will be 75 and my oldest child will be 50. Looking forward to where we are in life then!

jk703 likes this.
  12. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

If you could change the length of each day to make it perfect for you, how many hours would it be?
    I'm going to assume the question means the sunny part of the day, not the entire 24 hour day. Because I don't think I have a problem with the entire day being 24 hours and don't know what else I'd choose. But I sure do hate the short dark days of winter and would love it if I could have 14 or 16 hours of daylight every day. It would have to be magical though; how could that be possible with our axial tilt and rotation around the sun? :lol2

This is too fun to stop at one question. I'm going to do more.

How far back can you trace your family tree?
    I have had some family trace our ancestry and one path through my maternal grandmother and maternal great grandmother has been followed all the way back to a Welsh family in the 1600's. The husband was killed by a tree falling on him and his wife and children immigrated to the American colonies.

How difficult is it for you to try new things?
    It depends on what it is and how motivated I'm am. I love to try new foods and I'm game to try new activities. But if it's hard or unsafe, I might avoid it. I'm not a risk-taker.

What technology advance are you looking forward to in the future?
    on demand automated vehicles
    I won't be an early adopter and I'm nervous about the growing pains the technology will go through as it's developed (I know some deaths have already occurred related to self-driving vehicles) but after they have become established and the infrastructure is good, I will absolutely LOVE to not need to own a car, not need to deal with car maintenance, and just call for one as needed. Either that, or I wish I could live somewhere with excellent public transportation.

And now another one from the generator . . .

What do you wish you had spent more time doing when you were younger?
    I wish I had done extracurricular activities in high school. I was a quiet introverted person with even more introverted homebody parents who not only didn't encourage me, but sometimes discouraged me from doing anything socially or extracurricular-ly. I think I would have enjoyed running and I know I would have loved to work on the yearbook and/or school newspaper, especially with the photography opportunities, and also because I love to write.

jk703 and aballen like this.
  13. aballen

aballen Don't make me break out the milk

Have you ever seen a movie that you thought was better than the book?
    Nope! I do think that some movies do the book justice but if you only watch the movie you are missing so much that is found in the book.

What do you guys think?

cfile and jk703 like this.
  14. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

Not exactly, but close. When they made the movie of The Giver, I was impressed how closely they copied the book.

But yes, I don't think any movie can include every detail of the book without being impossibly long.

aballen likes this.
  15. Memaw2Wm

Memaw2Wm Well-Known Member

I agree … in a book you can hear characters thoughts, that not possible in movies or tv shows.

aballen and jk703 like this.
  16. jk703

I agree. Book has so much more depth. But in the movies, you can really see the characters expressions and body language!

cfile and aballen like this.
  17. umyesh

umyesh President of the Hangry Ladies Supper Club

How do you make decisions?
    I don't.

One example: I have what is called "drive-thru panic" when ordering food at a drive-thru. I can't make a decision fast enough and freeze up.

cfile, jk703 and tanteva like this.
  18. tanteva

What is the next thing you have on your to-buy list?
    Probably food, LOL But I need to get a new notebook. I have kept a book book (i.e. a sort of diary of books I've read) since 1994, and I've almost filled my current notebook.

What would you be really good at if it wasn't for one thing?
    Survive in the forest (in theory, I've read survivalist books/forums/etc for years) - if it wasn't for my SEVERE arachnophobia.

What part of history do you find most interesting?
    The Gustavian Era, i.e. 1772-1809 in Sweden. Especially the first part when Gustav III was king. Important changes was made in Sweden, and it's such a vibrant time.

What future year are you most looking forward to arriving?
    2031. That's the year I can legally retire. LOL

If you could change the length of each day to make it perfect for you, how many hours would it be?
    Wouldn't wanna do this. I'm having such hard time to understand the concept of time. Any changes would just confuse me even more!

What do you wish you had spent more time doing when you were younger?
    Learned to play an instrument! I wish I had taken the oppurtunity when I was a kid. I did learn to play the recorder (mandatory in schools in Sweden, at least back then), and I wanted to continue with the clarinet, but mom decided it was too expensive, and said no.

What technology advance are you looking forward to in the future?
    As always: I'm waiting for the time machine! I want to meet Gustav III, go to Woodstock and go to Palestine and see if Jesus is there.

Have you ever seen a movie that you thought was better than the book?
    YES!!! The Twilight Saga. How amazing to get the story without having to listen to Bella's stupidly annoying thoughts all the time. Those books are terrible. LOL

aballen and cfile like this.
  19. tanteva

I'm really thinking this website could be used to make really interesting layouts!

cfile, Memaw2Wm and jk703 like this.
  20. tanteva

Oh, I have the hardest time to make decisions. It's either totally without thinking (i.e. ADHD kick in & I act on impulse), or ... I keep thinking pros & cons for DAYS. Hubby is even worse than me. Imagine us trying to decide things together! it's a nightmare. LOL

umyesh likes this.