Packing for a trip

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by QuiltyMom, Feb 13, 2019.

1. QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom I'll never run out of things to do!

Why is it that packing for a trip is so hard to do? I have the same list that I follow, but I end up taking hours (or sometimes days) to get the job done. I'm leaving early tomorrow morning for a week in California so I can attend a memorial service for a family member, and I'm still fretting about what I'll pack. I do have a list that I use every time I travel, but it's still hard. I do have all the other stuff gathered, like presents and the like, which is a good thing!

The stumbling block this time is that I haven't figured out what to wear to the service. In the long run it really doesn't matter, but I have an extreme fear of either being over- or under-dressed at any occasion.

It doesn't help that I'm spending the day washing clothes and polishing/waterproofing the shoes I'm going to bring to rainy SoCal. When I used to travel for my job I'd almost miss flights because I didn't want to pack.

Is there anyone else out there like me on this issue?

2. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

Nope I can pack in about 2 hours... if I am going overseas, I pack the night before or if i have an early flight I pack the night before. I have my list but I only take a carryon, even overseas for 10 days so I make sure I pack just what I need. Good luck.. I would say a black dress would work so wear that for the memorial.. so so sorry for your loss. Hugs and good luck with your packing Jan!

3. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I've learned not to start packing too soon or I end up taking WAY more than I need. I'm always the one at the luggage check in that has a bag that is too heavy too. Lol. It drives my hubby crazy.

4. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

I have a list of clothes I want to take and make sure that they are clean and ironed a few days ahead. Two days ahead I pack the supplements and medicine box, also laying out the toiletries.
    I can pack in under an hour if left alone with no interuptions.
    With interruptions I forget what I need and have left stuff behind.

cfile likes this.
  5. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

I’m a last minute packer every time

6. SharLamb

SharLamb I should have been a Supreme

Nope. I could pack to go to China in 30 minutes! We travel a lot to visit kids and to play golf...plus road trips for the heck of it! I figure if I forget something, there are stores wherever I’m going that carry what I might need. As far as what to wear: Nobody notices what anyone else is wearing, for the most part.

bestcee, patsyt and flowersgal like this.
  7. burnbright

burnbright Active Member

I get stuff ready early then pack the night before. There is always stuff we need up to the last minute. We put a not on our door not to forget the insulin the fridge for my diabetic husband.

When I went to the Colosseum, I saw a woman in a dress with a puffy pink skirt. I totally took a picture because it was so surprising. There was also a bide and groom so it is possible she was with the wedding. The wedding photos must be amazing with the ancient buildings in the background.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/kejcollins/46180734195/in/dateposted-public/

8. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

Packing isn't my major problem - it's "unpacking" that gets me. If I don't do it immediately upon returning, it takes me several days. Good luck and I'm so sorry for your loss, Jan. @QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom likes this.
  9. SeattleSheri

SeattleSheri Movers, cleaners, great hair. I'm a socialite!

I loathe packing, I mean LOATHE! I, too, fret over what to bring and never seem to totally nail it despite the inordinate amount of time spent on it, lol. We are headed to So Cal early next week too.

Sorry to hear that you had a family member pass away, please accept my condolences. Hopefully the service will give you an opportunity to celebrate their life and see some other family members.

QuiltyMom and Cherylndesigns like this.
  10. TravelScrapSleepRepeat

TravelScrapSleepRepeat Active Member

Agreed! I live out of my suitcase on the trip....and then for a week or two after....

Cherylndesigns likes this.
  11. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

Unless I have to get up early, I am a last minute packer but with a list. I also pack for my husband. It is always a surprise to him what he gets to wear. I almost always come home with 2 or 3 pieces that never get worn while away. My kids have always packed their own clothes except when they were 5 or younger. I just give them guidelines like 1 outfit they could wear to church and 5 other outfits or something like that.

For me the hardest part is during the winter knowing what to pack for other people's houses. I like it on the cool side so I can wear sweaters but sometimes I have wished I had brought long sleeve shirts instead because it is hot inside.

Well there was also that winter trip to Ky, where it was snowing and all 5 of us left our winter coats at home. It was in the 60s in NC when we left and it never occurred to us to throw coats in the car. Fortunately, our relatives had coats for us to borrow.

12. mcurtt

mcurtt give me all the paleo brownies

I'm a last minute packer, and I don't ever take much. When we went to Europe for a month (back in 1997), DH and I each had a small rolling suitcase & a backpack. The backpacks were primarily filled with gifts as we were going to be visiting multiple families. I figure I can always do hand wash or find a laundromat somewhere.

13. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

Totally a last minute packer - case in point it is currently 7pm Friday and I leave for my trip away at 3pm Saturday, so far my bag for the on board the bus is packed but nothing else.

14. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

I'm like Karen - down to the driven crazy DH.

I know you are already in So Cal, I hope it went as well as possible Jan

Karen likes this.