Organization!

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by abandy, Sep 24, 2012.

1. abandy

abandy abandy

There's been a lot of talk around the digital community lately (like on the Digi Show) about organization... I'd love to get some opinions? How do you organize? Do you use a folder system? ACDSee? Lightroom?

Does anyone organize by store? And designer? By color? I'd love to hear your thoughts!

2. 4noisyboys

4noisyboys Being a Grandma is the best!

I'm NOT organized enough. I started with ACDSee, my computer had a crash and lost the program and I never reinstalled it.

My EHD is "organized" by a few stores, CT's, designers, and like inside my TLP folder, I have designers, templates and alphas by designer, and then a few folders like paint, stitches, etc... I also have folders for just templates (and then by designers), overlays, brushes, cardstock, borders, buttons, dates...and then a few by themes (camping, boys kits, reading, sports, space, photography, etc...)

It's loosely organized, but I'd love to start fresh and do something like ACDSee. It would probably take me a year to get organized if I tried it now!

3. listgirl

listgirl listgirl

I used to use ACDSee to organize my digital stash. Until I realized that I was spending so much time organizing that I didn't have time to scrap or be creative. I also thought about how I scrapbook and realized that I only used kits once and it's rare that I ever re-use anything again, except for a few favorite designers. So now I'm happy to just folders by designer on my computer, and have the previews show up in my Lightroom. I work full time and really have limited creative time, so having a complicated or time-consuming organizational scheme just doesn't work for me. So I don't worry too much about it.

4. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I use a folder system. I have a folder for each store and then everything just goes in there.

I also keep my CT stuff in a separate folder and move it to the "Used" folder once I've used it so I don't download stuff without remembering to use it.

5. Heather Prins

Heather Prins Heather Prins

I am on a mac and tag everything in Bridge. it works for me cause I can search by store, by designer by colour by embellishment by season, whatever I want. I love to mix stuff up on my layouts and this system really allows for that.

6. Celeste

Celeste I'm moving to Hogwarts!

i stopped organazing in acdsee awhile ago. i have just folders by store and an other category for those stores i don't go to that often. i did start putting stuff that i purchase din a bought not used folder so i force myself to use it and look in there when the urge to shop grabs me! i find if i'm looking for something i can just used the search feature in windows explorer and usually can come up with something that will work (staple, button, brad, etc.) something i'd like to do is for each store create a folder with elements that i need regularly so i don't have to look for them - like a few staples, some stitching, buttons, etc.

7. suefalstaff

suefalstaff suefalstaff

Another vote for just using windows folders here! I have a folder for each store, then sub-folders for each designer, which means if / when a designer moves store, I end up with multiple folders for the same designer, but I find it easier that way when I'm typing up my LO credits!

8. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

I'm on a Mac, use iPhoto, a kit scrapper/75% and I also am a visual person.... so... I keep two iPhoto libraries.

One for photos, and one for scrap goodies. When I buy something, I DL, and then import to my "scrap" iPhoto. I make the kit preview the chosen image to represent all the photos. Then when I need to scrap, I scroll through all the images (kit previews). I don't have the time to tag, and don't really want to use bridge/more software, so this works for me! They are sorted by store, and kit name alphabetically. I can change the store if needed, and it takes about 5 minutes. I also keep a separate folder for kits I buy for non-ct, and keep them in the Need To Scrap Folder, lol! CT stuff gets scrapped with as soon as I can, and I usually don't DL more than 2 kits - the one I will work on NOW, and then NEXT. Beyond that... too confusing.

Everyone does their organizing differently... but once you find your way, it will work for you. It might be a mix of a few ways, but then it will be your own! Good Luck!

9. carolee

carolee Humming along in the Neil mobile

I organize by store, then designer. If I have a ton of stuff from a designer I will organize further.

For my CTs, when I download something I put it in a separate area first until I've scrapped with it and then it goes into my designer's folder.

10. 4noisyboys

4noisyboys Being a Grandma is the best!

it sounds like I'm about as organized as most people then!!

I'll just have to fine tune it a bit!

11. Brandi

Brandi You're so fine, you're so fine you blow my mind

Ohhh do I need to do some organizing. :thumbsdowns ICK! My stuff is done by folders on my MAC. Like this: KITS > Designers' Name > Name of Kit.

I totally need to switch it up and do by store as most all of my stuff is from here anyways! :flirty

12. Ronisdragon

Ronisdragon Why can't someday be now?

I have stuff set up in windows folders. I have a folder for full kits, elements only, alphas, templates etc. I have a few folders for specific types of kits such as Disney kits or Christmas. Other than that everything is just in there. I don't have that much stuff so my system is working so far. I do have trouble visualizing each kit when I'm trying to decide what I want to scrap with. I am printing out a small preview of each of my kits so I can easily see what I have. I know it sounds like a waste but I'm getting through the previews quickly since I don't have much. I feel like I have a much better sense of what I own with the previews. I'd like to tag eventually. I'd also like to get a hard drive to save everything on.

13. Angie4b1g

Angie4b1g A hundred jobs but Bob Villa ain't one

I just have it by designer, but I do tag it all in ACDSEE. I force myself to tag before I start the layout, since really it only takes a few minutes to tag it once I put my mind to it.

But, like Christine, I'm starting to wonder why I bother. I'm thinking it would be easier to just tag the previews and maybe even tag them by color, theme, etc. Not sure, I'm rethinking this. I'm not quite ready to give up tagging all the way, especially as it is ALL tagged, but I think I need a better method.

And I just have templates tagged as templates. Thinking of going in and separating 1 photo, 2 photo etc. In my spare time and all that. lol

14. staciahall

staciahall Quidditch, anyone?

I'm a heavy duty ACDSee user. I've tagged pretty much everything I have. Some things like Christmas kits are tagged Christmas unless I was enthused to further tag it. I have my templates by size and by how many photos. It's an addiction, I think ;) but because I've kept up with it, it works for me.

Like Carolee, I keep in one spot for CT stuff, then move to the designer folder once I've used it. I tag it when I'm moving it.

15. javamonster

javamonster Rwaarrr!

I'm at the point where I'm going to sort through all my stuff and divvy it by store. Although, I didn't realize when I started out exactly *how often* designers changed stores! I don't like nesting my folders beyond one level, though, because if I can't see it, it ain't there.

16. kim21673

kim21673 I'm slowly getting there!

I organize by store and then designer...except for BYOC stuff...that's by month.

I copy previews into folders....themes, designers, element pack type (stitches, paint, alphas, etc)

I used to use ACDSee and kept getting duplicate files so I decided to go the copy preview route and make my own tagging system...it works!!!