ORGANIZATION!!! I suck at it.

Discussion in 'Scrapping Pad' started by chickypow, Oct 2, 2016.

1. chickypow

chickypow All I need is my gun, and my blankie

I know I've asked this before and got a ton of great answers but I can't find it. My TLP stash is getting huge and I need to get it under control instead of hunting around. I generally use several kits when doing a page and can't find anything!

So can you all give me your organization tips again??

2. Sokee

Sokee What we do in life echoes in eternity

I'm following as I 'm in the same boat as you.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2016
  3. chickypow

I'm totally lost. I only shop at the TLP so organizing by shop isn't really an issue but I swear I've bought like a quarter of the shop so it's a big stash lol

bestcee likes this.
  4. SirScrapalot

SirScrapalot Tackling my to-do list with gusto

I used to be good at it, but have fallen behind

[​IMG]

chickypow likes this.
  5. merank

merank Working my way through scrumdiddlyumptious bars

Kiss for Bart

6. rdjrneace

rdjrneace Following the yellow brick road on foot

I recently decided to organize by "theme" of kit so I have birthday, park, swimming, winter etc folders. It is hard that way if I want to find a kit by a specific designer but I am liking the theme more since it helps if I am looking for a pool/swim kit to know where they are instead of having to search through each designer's folder.

littlekiwi likes this.
  7. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

Mine is kind of like a tree structure. At top level, I have a folder for each of my favorite designers, then I also have a folder that holds all my other TLP designers (kind of a catch all). In a designer's folder, I have a folder for each kit (named as the kit name). In the TLP folder, I name the folder for each kit with the designer's initials and the kit name. This allows me to group them together. See example below.

I also like my alpha sets in a separate folder, but I name them "Alpha - name of kit" so I know which kit they came with. They live with the kit folder in the designer's folder (or larger TLP folder).

I use tags for individual items, i.e. smile, travel, dad, dream, hope, glitter, paint, animals-flying, frame, ... I will also tag the kit preview if it has an overall theme.

For ex:
    TLP - KAagard
    Alpha - Kit 1
    Kit 1
    Kit 2
    TLP - Lynn Grieveson
    Kit 1
    Kit 2
    TLP - M3
    Aug 2016
    Paula - kit 1
    LM - kit 2
    The Lilly Pad
    AP - kit 1
    BellaG - kit 1
    Coll - kit 1 (for blog hops & collaborate kits)
    SG - kit 1

p.s. I move things around all the time. As you can guess, I started out with one TLP folder and it grew from there!

chickypow likes this.
  8. klee73010

klee73010 I might have a thing for drummers

Well... I have about 250 folders to fix/sort/organize after this weekend (literally, I went a bit crazy). My workflow is something like this:
    *Unzip everything into my scrapbooking downloads folder on my computer hard drive.
    *consolidate kit/collection folders
    *delete TOUs, extra file info, and folders within folders, within folders
    *tag jpg papers with "justpapers"
    *tag jpg journal cards with "journalcards"
    *tag jpg previews with "justpreviews" "colortagme" and "themetagme"... then also collection tags (byoc, m3, or MPM for example), year, month... type (paper, elements, cards, alpha, etc)
    *Copy the folder to appropriate designer folder on my Back up EHD
    *Move the folder to my main scrapping EHD
    *import into PSE Organizer
    (Where I stack alphas and extra journal card variations)

This process seems lengthy, but really doesn't take too long, now that I have the tags recognized in windows file explorer.

I do it in this process flow because of different "failsafes" basically. I can search in my downloads folder by tags, the tags are saved into the back up EHD, and then on the main as well. The process of importing into Organizer is something I do in batches, like once a month.

As I have time, in Organizer I go through and do theme tagging, and remove "themetagme", or colors and remove "colortagme". Any time I do any tagging in Organizer, I write the data to the files. Periodically (like quarterly) I go back and update the back up to match the new tagged files on the main.

At any given time, I'd like the option to be searching through windows folders and be able to use tags, or in Organizer. This process works for me, for now.

chickypow likes this.
  9. klee73010

klee73010 I might have a thing for drummers

My files are kept in a designer folder, by kit. Only a few stores actually have store folders first
    TLP -
    >Designer folder
    >>Kit
    >>Kit
    >>Kit
    >Designer folder
    >Designer folder

chickypow likes this.
  10. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

@chickypow

I don't know if you've watch the Lightroom Organization Video, but there are ideas that you can apply to the program of your choice!

aballen and chickypow like this.
  11. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

I open my Lily Pad folder and if I need paint...I use the search over on the right...
    and there they show up!! I can then right click and open in file location.
    I organize by designer
    EXCEPT
    collabs,
    M3
    and
    BYOC
    I put an X- in front of past designers that puts them at the bottom of the alpha list.
    see the 000-need to use (that is my download folder) I file from there every week or two.
    the 00s section, byoc, subscriptions and I used to use it for my CT designer. and for DYD

those are by date and collection. org.jpg

LoveItScrapIt and bestcee like this.
  12. chickypow

Awesome Ideas!!! I'll watch that video and I love your organization @AnneofAlamo I totally forgot about the handy search bar!

gonewiththewind likes this.
  13. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

I'm visual and super simple.

I keep everything in folders named with the designer and kit/pack title (all items combined that go together into one folder).

Each folder is "labeled" with it's preview... I just scroll. If I need to search for something, I try to use the search bar. :)

chickypow likes this.
  14. chickypow

Thats how I'm doing it now. I'm finding it hard to find things but I DID forget about the search bar!!

jk703 likes this.
  15. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

That search bar is super handy... I'll type staple in and usually find 15 that will work, :giggle

16. fruitysuet

fruitysuet Well-Known Member

It was one of these great threads that got me using the search bar too ... wonderful! Quite a few designers name their elements really well so if I want a red button I can find one pretty easily.

I follow what a lot of people here do
    Store-Designer-Kit

I tend to scrap with a kit, then when I feel the need to search for additional bits and pieces first of all I do the search within the designer folder, if that fails, then level up to the store folder and if that fails level right up to all digi supplies.

I will also do an initial search on folder.jpg to get an overview of kits that will work together.

chickypow likes this.
  17. amandac

amandac Read, or Run? Hmmm ...

What is this "organised" of which you speak? It is an unknown concept to me ;)

[​IMG]

KatrinaHunt13 and chickypow like this.
  18. gwtwred

gwtwred Leaving, on a jet plane ...

I kissed the frog!

19. scrappyjedi

scrappyjedi Patience you must have, my young padawan

I organize in pretty much the same way that Anne does.

I have folders for BYOC, MPM, Storyteller, and M3, and then folders for each month inside of those. Inside the months are folders for Elements, Alphas, Papers, and Journaling Cards, then each individual folder that I unzip from a designer gets put into those. I mostly scrap from these larger collabs because I have a seriously hard time scrapping from a single kit! So this works well for me.

Sometimes I do pick up individual kits from a designer, and I have a folder for each designer that these are put into. I also have a whole separate folder for templates, with designer folders under that. When I look for a template I am generally looking for a certain style of page, and since each designer has their own unique template style, this makes it easy to find one that will work.

Oh, and I found a link to one of the previous organization threads if it helps at all! https://the-lilypad.com/forum/threads/how-do-you-organize-your-stash.41500/

chickypow likes this.
  20. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

Melissa if I'm reading you right, after you do the...say BYOC 16 09 folder and make your 1609 type folders (Alpha, JCs etc) you break up kits and put all the Alphas from the different designers in that 1609 Alpha folder? etc etc

I have such a hard time with BYOC and MPM that maybe this is what I need to do. I have tagged them in LR so I can do a search for 1609, BYOC, alpha and they will all come up but sometimes it's easier not to have to open LR if you know what I mean...

chickypow likes this.