Online Back up

Discussion in 'Scrapping Pad' started by littlekiwi, Aug 7, 2018.

1. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

I've decided at sometime during this week probably Tuesday before going to Watch Cheryl Scrap I'll chat online to Backblaze cause the time for my initial backup keeps fluctuating anywhere from 18 days to 300+ days and I've only added 3 word documents to my laptop. Almost feel like I'd be better off pausing the backup, making a serious dent into my digi sorting to get that down to a more manageable amount then start it up again cause I feel like I've done as much as I can to keep this uploading going in a downward direction when it comes to time

2. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Are you duplicating the folders? Or deleting? How are you moving it around to organise?

3. littlekiwi

No duplication here, just straight moving from my to sort folder into the folder they will live in. So even if I keep everything from a folder there will be bits that I end up deleting.

4. littlekiwi

Well I did a mass deletion after I checked out my stash - I think at some point I had dumped the contents of two ehd drives on to my computer, most of which was duplicates of what I had already. By deleting 7.5GB of stuff my backup has dropped from 103 days to 65. I only wish I could figure out a way to keep my laptop on all night without the light waking me up since it is in my bedroom cause that would probably help my case. At a bare minimum my laptop is on 12-15 hours a day either while I'm home or while I'm out during the day and evening

Tree City likes this.
  5. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

I will say that I think BB over-estimates remaining time, so perhaps that's part of the fluctuation. Maybe it adds a LOT more time whenever you add something to your laptop--even something small like a Word doc. But it does seem like you have a veeeeeeeerrrrry long time, even with slower internet speed. (our speed is fast but can vary. 100mbps is what we pay for but it sometimes it's as low as 40. I moved our router and it's helped. Less interference to my laptop. Wow, I'm on a tangent aren't I lol?)

6. littlekiwi

As long as it goes down rather than up I’m happy......it’s the fact it yo-yos by 100-200 days most days that’s had me scratching my head but hopefully with all the changes i’ve made to either backblaze or the data on my laptop I might see some improvement soon.

7. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

So are you moving things around while BB is trying to do its backup? (That's what I'm guessing after reading your digi stash sorting thread). If so, I *think* the problem may be that BB does an initial index before it does any backup. So in my mind if you are moving things around, it is constantly having to re-index which then gives you the very high amount of backup days.

You might be better off pausing the backup, doing the moving around of files then restarting the backup and not make any major changes until the backup is done. The other alternative would be to stop the sorting of the digi stash, let BB do its backup, then pick up on doing the sort again.

I hope you do get it figured out soon though.

bestcee, littlekiwi and Tree City like this.
  8. littlekiwi

Yes, I am moving stuff around and backing up at the same time but the spike in days came only when I’d downloaded some new kits after SOSN on Wednesday and new releases on Friday. The upload time has been bouncing around for the last 3-4 days but been fine before that. I’m not sure how long it will take me to organize my stash only cause I’m doing it when I’ve got some spare time between applying for jobs & preparing for job interviews and it’s been in this kind of mess for 14 months since I got my new laptop - I’ve never got to the fully organized stage yet.

9. littlekiwi

well ive hit a major roadblock where while backblaze is installed on my laptop it won't open which means nothing has been backed up for over 24 hours now....have no idea what has gone wrong cause I haven't done anything different

10. bestcee

Is it working yet?

11. bestcee

My laptop has a setting where the screen goes black, but the computer itself is still on. Maybe yours does too?

12. littlekiwi

Not without totally uninstalling Backblaze control panel everyday since I can’t seem to open it. I’ve done a system restore back to a few days before I had issues and will install backblaze again and try again - just haven’t been in the right mindset to tackle it.

13. littlekiwi

well doing a system restore seems to have helped - down to about 500 items and 4 days so going to just leave it going and see how it goes.

Tree City, Karen and bestcee like this.
  14. littlekiwi

yay, all backed up now!!!

15. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

Yay Jennifer! That's great news!

littlekiwi likes this.
  16. bestcee

Yay! I'm so glad it was faster than originally stated!