New or Newish here? Let's play "Getting to know you"!!

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by jenn mccabe, Dec 18, 2015.

1. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

I'm noticing lots of new faces and names here in the forum and gallery. :wave

How about a little "Getting to Know You Game"??? :beat:heartlub:beat

If you are new, or you've been lurking for awhile, or you come and go like the wind, or maybe you've been on a scrapping hiatus while life happens, or you're always here and we can't get rid of you (just kidding about that part!!!) ... join in for a little getting to know you game:

Tell us:
    How long have you been scrapping?
    What's your fave snack/guilty food pleasure?
    What are you currently reading or watching?
    What's the last vacation you went on and where? (If you have one coming up soon that you are excited about share that if you wish!)
    One random fact about you?

I'll start:
    How long have you been scrapping? Since 2000 (when my 1st was born - was all paper and then went digi in 2009).
    What's your fave snack/guilty food pleasure? Right now I am craving anything chocolate, but my mean daughter told me you have to walk the length of football field to burn off 1 M&M. :thumbsdowns
    What are you currently reading and/or watching? I'm reading Little Life and I'm not a big TV person, but I finished Season 1 of Man in the High Castle (amazon prime) and it was pretty good! will def'tly tune in for Season 2.
    What's the last vacation you went on and where? (If you have one coming up soon that you are excited about share that if you wish!) Sadly, my life is seriously lacking in this dept. Maybe that is why I am asking all of you ... so I can live vicariously through you all. My husband did confide in me that he almost bought us tickets to see U2 in Paris last month ... what? Who goes to Paris just to see U2. He's so eclectic. I just want a regular vacation dude!!!
    One random fact about you? After waiting ... oh I don't know, like forever ... I finally got a Silhouette. I'm so excited about it ... but I admit I went to the craft stores today, looking for some fun accessories and just kind of stood there dumbfounded. I think I need to hunt out some fun tuts and projects for what exactly to do with this thing. Oh and not really about me but this is weird ... my husband, the eclectic one, gave everyone in the house all our Christmas presents this week. One by One. As he shopped over the course of the last few days, he would come home & seek us each out and deliver it in the shopping bag from the store. He did really good this year, but is that his way of getting out of wrapping everything? I would have preferred opening them on Christmas morning. :dizzy

2. ~Mary

~Mary Clap along if you feel like happiness is the truth

I've been scrapping since 1984, which was my senior year in high school. I scrapped on and off for years and when the big craze started in the mid 90's I ran with it. (I owned an online scrapbook store, briefly.) I started digiscrapping instead of paper scrapping in 2010. I still have way too much paper scrapping stuff b/c I also (used to) rubber stamp.

I like to snack on Skinny Pop popcorn so that I don't feel as guilty when I sneak and eat a huge Hershey's Symphony bar. Chocolate is a weakness.

I read every day, usually an hour or more before bed. Right now I'm reading a cheesy urban fiction series for the umpteenth time about an assassin who owns a barbecue restaurant. I tend to read the same books over and over and over. I read fantasy, urban fantasy, and some sci-fi. I read on my phone now that I have a bigger one. I use the Kindle app. My old Kindle is somewhere in the basement? I donated all of my old paperbacks. I don't watch tv on tv, as in during regularly scheduled times. I can't stand the advertisements. I prefer Netflix or On Demand. Right now I'm watching The Blacklist and loving it. I also love Sherlock and The Arrow.

What's the last vacation you went on and where?
    It wasn't so much a vacation as it was just a weekend trip to Roswell, NM. Good, clean, quirky fun! We had a whole summer of trips planned but on that first one, to Roswell, the dogs learned how to open hotel doors. We said forget it, bought an Xbox One and sat on our tails playing Witcher 3 all summer instead. Our next planned big trip is to St. Augustine, next summer, as my 50th birthday present.

All facts about me are random! A quick summary might be better. I'm an army wife, hubby is special ops. My two daughters are grown and married and live far away. I have two grandbabies who are my absolute LOVEs. Since they also live far away I have two cats, two dogs, and a guinea pig. Right now I'm in El Paso, TX but that will change again next year. I went to the Univ of Alabama, so Roll Tide! I hate to get dressed and go places, but since it's Star Wars tonight, I have to go do that now. In a minute.

jenn mccabe likes this.
  3. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I am one who has come been stuck in the revolving door here! Lol. My scrappy home is closing, and since I do enjoy the people here when I've stopped by, I'm currently looking for a comfy couch to claim!

How long have you been scrapping? Since 1996, we'll sort of. 1996 was my first scrappy book, but I actuality have a smash book type journal from 1993-1994. I went Digi in January 2013, and have stayed with it. I do a couple of hybrid projects, and a silhouette is under my tree for Christmas, so I'll be learning with you!

What's your fave snack/guilty food pleasure? Chips. Preferably all dressed when I have someone coming or going from Canada! But when I don't, it's the cheese Munchies bag with pretzels, doritos, and sun chips. M&Ms if I'm in a chocolate mood. My guilty food is buffalo chicken strips with ranch. Love it!

Currently reading Orange is the new black, World War Z, and the Cinderella murders. Yes, all at once ;) I'm watching Izombie on Netflix and loving it!
    What's the last vacation you went on and where? My last vacation was to Disneyland August 2013. We are planning one for 2015 but debating on WDW Seattle, or a cruise.

One random fact about you? I never know how to answer this one! Do I share I can touch my nose with my tongue? That I've lived in a bunch of towns across the US? That I'm Canadian and American? Or that I can take a great selfie with my dslr, and crappy ones with my phone?

Thanks for the welcome! And there's a spot next to me on the couch if anyone wants to sit!

4. renee82

renee82 renee82

What a great idea! So fun! Here goes:

I have been a digiscrapper since January 2006.

One of my favs is Hawkins Cheezies!!!! Sooo good!

I'm reading Marrow by Tarryn Fisher and watching Walking Dead on Netflix, Grey's, Big Bang Theory and Elementary.

What's the last vacation you went on and where? (If you have one coming up soon that you are excited about share that if you wish!)

We went to Florida in March. I LOVE visiting Florida and we had the best weather! It was such a cold winter here in Canada that it was great to get away!

I'm an x-ray technologist and a full blown hockey mom. ;)

Last edited: Dec 18, 2015
  5. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

Mary!! Symphony is my weakness, and I sneak one now and again whilst shopping and I live in ALAMOgordo, NM...an hour from YOU!
    I promise not to stalk but would love to meet up with you before you roll tide!

~Mary likes this.
  6. rdjrneace

rdjrneace Following the yellow brick road on foot

How long have you been scrapping? At least since 2005 when grandbaby was born but I was dabbling in the dreaded paper scrapping prior (dreaded because you had to dig out the supplies and then put them all away when company came)

What's your fave snack/guilty food pleasure? Definitely chocolate (and my body will tell you that)

What are you currently reading or watching? I read mostly romance (regency historical) novels and I watch sports. Yes I am a sports fanatic, mainly college basketball (GO UK) and pro football but I do watch just about any sport EXCEPT GOLF.

What's the last vacation you went on and where? (If you have one coming up soon that you are excited about share that if you wish!) August 2015 and we went to Charleston SC. Way to hot in August and traffic was terrible. I can't stand crowds and the crowded roads/streets was just to much for me. My dream vacation would be Hawaii but hubby can't stand to fly over water so either I go without him or knock him out once we are on the plane.

One random fact about you? Random huh; well I am a proud 54 year grandmother of 9.

I pulling up a seat next to Courtney since I am also coming from the same store that is closing and hoping that someone else will come and talk with us newbies.

scrapsandsass and jenn mccabe like this.
  7. MelanieB

MelanieB Well-Known Member

Welcome, new friends! We always have enough couch space for everyone + we have warm hugs + hot cocoa! :grouphug :giggle

Since spring 2013! I still feel very much like a newbie myself, since I just dove right into digital scrapbooking & pocket scrapbooking, and bypassed paper scrapbooking altogether. I found my way here through Pinterest!

Chocolate cake & cupcakes. With icing.

I just saw Star Wars VII and it was awesome!

I don't actually "watch" TV, it's usually on loud in the other room so I can hear when I am working in my office. During the day I am always looking for reruns of CSI:Miami & NCIS. I just don't have time to get into new shows right now!

NYC, baby! But if I could go anywhere in the world, I would go back to the Disney Aulani resort on Oahu, Hawaii. It was paradise!

I've never had a cup of coffee in my life. It smells bad.

:heartslub

Last edited: Dec 18, 2015
    scrapsandsass likes this.
  8. Cristina

Cristina Handmade with love, actually

I love reading these posts! OK I'm neither new nor newish but I'll play along! :thumbsups

Nonstop since 2008. :heartlub

Chips. Aaaah.

I'm reading a series of novels by Kristan Higgins. Perfect to decompress!

Seattle, end of October. Well it was a work trip really but I went a day early with my husband and totally count it as a vacation. :)

I'm in charge of our Elf on the Shelf. We don't have kids, but hey... it's fun anyway and we love it!

9. EllenT

EllenT I live for that hourglass ...

Started in 1998. Went digital in 2005.

I don't drink coffee but I do drink 2 Monsters a day. Also love anything with cream cheese icing on it.

I don't read much because I'm a slow reader, but I do love my TV shows. Walking Dead, Greys, anything dancing, Downton Abbey, Game of Thrones and Scorpion. I am also a College basketball fan (Go CARDS), and pro football (Who Deys) and I have watched Days Of Our Lives since high school lol (a long time).

The last vacation was a couple years ago, went to see the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland.

I am one of 8 siblings and I have a 6 month old puppy (who is in a lot of my pages).

10. stowell14

stowell14 Active Member

Yay, thanks for this thread! I am new here and sometimes its hard to just jump in! Threads like this are helpful! :)

I've been scrapping since 2008. I made part of one paper scrapbook and it just didn't work for me, but jumped into digi and never looked back! I briefly designed for a few years, but did not enjoy it much, retired, and now just scrap as much as I can!

Anything salty or chocolate!!! Right now my weakness is peppermint bark. Mmmmmm...

I have 4 young kids so reading and watching TV doesn't come easy. I mostly listen to books now. I'm currently relistening to the Harry Potter series, they never get old! And at night, my hubby and I are working our way through How I Met Your Mother on Netflix.

Southern California! We did SeaWorld, Legoland, and then 3 days of Disney! We went in October.

I have issues with things matching. My photos have to match the kits. And all the closets in our house have to have the clothes hanging in the same color order. My family doesn't understand my pain, so that leave me to have to hang up all the clean clothes!!

jenn mccabe and jk703 like this.
  11. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

I adore newbies and oldies tee hee!! and so hope you sit next to me!! I just wrote a big ol' blog post that has some ins and outs about the pad, and will help you "get it" It will go live Sunday, and be there after the big upgrade here...and if you have any questions, or just need a friend, I love people and especially scrapping people, and I have to say ya'll are filling the gallery with pure beautiful pages.
    2004, I used power point and didn't even know about the internet...lol
    love starch and chocolate...like a tortilla with pnut butter and chocolate melted is my fav
    I just started the X is for?? by...egads, I forgot her name, but I love this series...a is for alibi..yada yada
    golly we went to Cali a few years back San Diego...and I am pondering, we haven't gone anywhere in a while..just crazy. I want to see the Badlands and Mt. Rushmore so bad.
    I take a 20 minute power nap every day. It freaks my kids out, cause I lay on the couch and in seconds am out, and 20 minutes later, my eyes open. They have numerous times all been sitting there waiting...weirdo childen. :giggle

Last edited: Dec 19, 2015
    scrapsandsass and jk703 like this.
  12. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Title? I may feel like reading about a barbeque making assassin! Seriously, I'm intrigued.

13. Sharon Evans

Sharon Evans Well-Known Member

Hey everyone, I've been in and out of here since July, but planning on hanging around now . . .
    I've been scrapping since 2000; switched to Digi in 2007 when my eldest grandchild was born and have never looked back.
    Only when I'm in America - but I LOVE Trader Joe's Aged Cheddar and Horseradish chips!
    I have a new Kate Morton book waiting to be read, but I'm saving it for the plane. Downloading Little Life to my iPad as we speak. Don't watch much TV, but prefer British series when I do.
    Spent 3 weeks in San Francisco with my DD and her family last September, and I'm planning to go back there for two weeks in January. That's a pretty big as I live in Perth, Western Australia!
    Errrrr - random fact . . . I currently have grandchildren in three different countries!

scrapsandsass and jenn mccabe like this.
  14. crystalbella77

crystalbella77 Capture life and embrace it

I will have a play wince I am new to being back here <3 <3

Tell us:

About 8 years...a wee bit longer maybe? I never paper scrapped before digi scrapping either so it was brand new to me!

My fave snack is chips and salsa or everything pretzels and hummus. Those are not really guilty pleasure...though I eat so much of them I should feel a bit guilty haha! If talking JUST junk food I love love love doughnuts!

I haven't read in forever! I used to read so so so much. About 200 books a year. I have a 16 month old and it's been since before I was pregnant that I have had enough time to read. Wah! We just finished watching Jessica Jones on Netflix. We are big into superheroes around here. :)

Haven't had a vacation in about 3 years. We had some major rough patches in there and haven't been able to go. I am determined to get away at least for a weekend somewhere next year. My fave place to go is Hilton Head, SC. I love it there soooooo much!

I am the least decisive person on the face of the earth. I really and truly will do anything in my power to not make decisions (unless I have to of course...I do know how to adult..it's just lame haha). I am pretty laid back and so luckily I can let others make all my decisions for me and be content haha! I will annoy people close to me all the time with questions about the stupidest things. I also let my kids plan the dinner menu a lot just so I don't have to decide what to cook. It's ridiculous!

jenn mccabe likes this.
  15. lorryfach

lorryfach Likes to be chauffeured

I am not new at all, but hey, y'all need to get to know us too, right?

How long have you been scrapping? I had my first book printed in 2005, so I guess over 10 years... eep!

What's your fave snack/guilty food pleasure? Quesadillas. I mean, I love chocolate, of course, but I can usually talk myself out of sweets if I know it's a bad idea, but cheese? I will always eat cheese.

What are you currently reading or watching? Sleepy Hollow, iZombie

What's the last vacation you went on and where? We went to Vienna for Eurovision this year, with some extra "see the sights" time, and also had my parents fly over from the States to see us there.

One random fact about you? My nursery and childhood bedroom was completely done in yellow gingham. Yellow is still my favorite color. Less random kind of stuff: I'm originally from the US but I live in Copenhagen with my Danish DH and our two kids, who are 5 and 7 and all over my LOs. Sometimes they help me scrap. :)

I am always on the lookout for Trader Joe stuff when I'm in Aldi, but I haven't seen this one! Arrrrg! Sounds awesome!

16. rdjrneace

rdjrneace Following the yellow brick road on foot

Ellen where do you live. I figure from your post you must live somewhere around Cincinnati OH (does Cards stand for Louisville and I know Who Dey is the Bengals).

17. jenevang

jenevang Rocking a two-piece under my scrubs

#1 Sounds like we have similar tastes in books and TV shows.
    #2 I'm gonna have to let the Roll Tide comment slip :giggle (#gogators)

Glad to have you!
    #1 Welcome to the black hole that can be hybrid scrapping, hehe.
    #2 DSLR selfies... that's quite a skill

I'm so sorry for all of you losing your digi-home, but hope you find a place for yourself here.
    And I'm a sucker for historical fiction as well. I'm not crazy enough to wish I actually LIVED back then, but it is fun to read about :)

Oh, Melanie... how did I not know this. My heart is broken :imok

Glad to have you!
    #1 We just returned from SoCal. But we didn't get to do the "fun" stuff this time... just family, hehe
    #2 I would love to see your closet. And you would twitch looking into mine, LOL. I love order as well, it just doesn't happen for me much ;)

Glad you will be hanging around! And that is an interesting fact... 3 countries. Visiting them is fun, I'll bet :)

:heartslub

SO GLAD TO GET TO KNOW YOU NEW FRIENDS (and you know I love you, old friends).

18. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

Since 2008?

chocolate... anything chocolate!

watching A Chef's Life on PBS

10/30-11/8/2015 we went on a coach tour to Scotland England & Wales ... awesome trip!

I retired at 50... (a week shy of 51 meeting my goal of retiring at 50). It has been 3 years and I love it!

19. jenevang

jenevang Rocking a two-piece under my scrubs

So, I'm gonna play along... I'm not new, but new to some of you that are new (wow, that is a lot of news)

Forever. I may or may not still have magnetic albums *gasp* from Junior High holding all kinds of photos and memorabilia. If you don't remember the magnetic albums, you are too young to feel my pain when I look at them, knowing they are doing damage to my "treasures".

Probably coffee with fancy creamer or it I'm really decadent, Starbucks :)

YouTube videos about planning and crafting, hehe. I do listen to Audiobooks all the time and am currently "reading" one about a hitman with OCD called Spotless (apparently, I really do share Mary's love for cheesy books).

Visited in-laws in Southern California for Thanksgiving. So happy to come home :giggle

Even though I hate the habit, I find myself actually biting my nails when I'm watching one of my kids play a sport. #stereotypemuch

20. MrsPeel

MrsPeel LOVE LOVE LOVE!!!

well, I will call him & tell him he should surprise you with a trip to London. No need to book hotel (which will take down 60% of your holiday cost) as you will be staying with ME. Plus, we live in a super trendy neighborhood, the mecca of music in London, where the Round House is (iTunes Festival happens there among other awesome shows) so we can send him to Camden to watch whatever he wants whilst we talk about Silhouettes and what to do with them LOL. Seriously.
    I will make the The Lilypad goes Euro (maybe Disney!) happen next year, so you should really talk him into giving you the trip... :heartlub

I'm LOVING the new faces (and pages!!!!) though I know and admired some of you for a while,I have never spoken beyond galleries... loving reading more about you all, will come back and read properly!!! just flying by right now!!! :heartlub