NBK Design's Advanced Challenge 1st Feb - 29th Feb WINNERS ANNOUNCED

Discussion in 'Designer Challenges' started by TrishD, Jan 31, 2020.

1. TrishD

TrishD Well-Known Member

CHALLENGE CLOSED-WINNER ANNOUNCED
    On behalf of NBK Designs I would like to thank all who participated in this challenge. There has been some fantastic designs and effects with changing colors using Hue/Saturation and it looks like some have learned a new technique.

The two winners for this challenge are GARRYNKIM and CHARLOTTE-M. Congratulations ladies, your coupon will be sent to you by PM soon

Welcome to the first NBK Design challenges of the year. I hope you've had a happy Christmas and New Year celebrations.
    Last year we noticed that some of you were having difficulties with some of the challenges because of software limitations. So this year we're doing something different. There will now be something for everyone - every month! We will have 2 challenges running at the same time, for the entire month. Easy Peasy will be for those who just want to do something quick and simple, or don't have more complex software. Advanced will be for those who enjoy a bit more of a challenge and want to expand their skills, and have the necessary software. You can of course take part in both challenges each month and in addition there will now be 2 winners for each challenge.

Let's start off with using the Hue/Saturation Adjustment feature in Photoshop or PSE to change the color of something in a photo to a different color altogether. Here's a video to give you some idea what I mean, we will be using the first method shown in the video but I will be doing a step by step with screen shots right here. I would rate this method as intermediate so give it a go. And if you're feeling adventurous you can go on and try some of the other methods in the video.
    https://digitalsynopsis.com/design/...q590BM_Vr-lQEKUPf3pa_BxA8VbeaZpbCGccva7rsBYp4
    Here's a sample of changing the color of my subject from blue to pink Follow my easy steps with an image that would be easy to extract. My image is from Unsplash free images https://unsplash.com/

[​IMG]

Step 1. Make a selection of the part you want to change, eg., jacket, hat, car, kitchen utensil, flower or even hair if you can make a good selection of hair.
    [​IMG]
    Don't be too concerned if you don't get a perfect selection as there are ways to correct that on the mask
    Step 2. While the select is still active choose the Adjustment Icon from the bottom of the Layers Panel and choose Hue/Saturation. A mask of your selection will appear above the background layer.
    [​IMG]
    Step 3. Use the HUE slider to change the color and the SATURATION slider to increase the color
    If you have missed a bit of the selection or added too much use the mask to correct it by using a white brush on the mask to paint in any parts you have missed or a black brush to fix any overspill.
    [​IMG]
    When you are happy with your results save the image as a JPG and make a layout using your choice of NBK's products. For my layout I used NBK's artCrush #12 https://the-lilypad.com/store/artCRUSH-No12-Artsy-Bits-Pieces-Kit.html
    Please include a Before and After image in your layout to show us that the method has worked correctly. I can't wait to see your designs and if you enjoyed this challenge

RULES
    This challenge runs from Feb 1st to Feb 29th (One Month)
    TWO lucky scrappers will be randomly chosen to win a $5 coupon to the NBK Design store.
    You must use 100% NBK Design Products.
    Post your layout in the NBK Design Gallery and in this forum, and link your layout to the gallery.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 1, 2020
    LilachOren, A-M and NBK-Design like this.
  2. LilachOren

LilachOren Well-Known Member

wow!!! I got to try it!! thank you

TrishD and NBK-Design like this.
  3. Oldenmeade

Oldenmeade Well-Known Member

Fabulous challenge Trish, and a great tutorial! Here's what I came up with.
    Original Image
    [​IMG]

Altered Image
    [​IMG]

Layout made with
    Easy Peasy Bits
    Easy Peasy Expressions
    Newspaper Clippings No2
    Oct 2015 Urban Masks

[​IMG]

TrishD likes this.
  4. A-M

A-M Not a lot of hustle in my hustle anymore

What a fun technique to learn about. Thankyou @TrishD

20200128_093949.jpg

[​IMG]

TrishD and Oldenmeade like this.
  5. cinderella

cinderella I was alone once...best.day.ever.

Thanks for the challenge! Here is my page
    [​IMG]
    and here is the before and after of the photo I used
    [​IMG][​IMG]

TrishD, AnneofAlamo and Oldenmeade like this.
  6. Janisn

Janisn Well-Known Member

7. RJMJ

RJMJ There is a shade of red for every woman.

What A Fun Challenge!...I Love Recoloring Items In Photos!....Or In This Case...Playing With The Hue/Saturation Adjustment!..It's Such Delicious Fun For Us Creative Types!!!...I Can't Believe I'm Back Here Just One Day After Completing MOC8!!!...Doing Yet Another Challenge!!!...I Guess I Just Can't Help Myself...I Do Love NBK's Challenges!!!...

*I Also Adore Poppies...They Are My Favorite Flower...As Some Of You May Know...I Love The Chance To Scrap Them Any Chance I Get...I Have Seen Red Poppies,Orange Poppies,Blue Poppies,White Poppies,Purple Poppies...But I Don't Believe I Have Ever Seen Pink Poppies...And I Wanted A Color That Was Different,Special & Unique...Kind Of Like All Of Our Dreams...Each Dream...Our Own Kind Of Vision...Each One Special...Unique...Wonderful...And All Our Own!!!...

*To Create My The Future Is Yours Layout-I Used:Focus-NBK Design

*Original Poppies Photo:

Poppy-Original Red-2.png

*Recolored Poppies To Pink:

Poppy-Pink ReColor-2.png

*Here's My Completed Layout:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 3, 2020
  8. lm44west

lm44west All You Need is Ice Cream

This looks like so much fun. Time to get to work recoloring.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 1, 2020
  9. Oldenmeade

Wow ladies - so fast and so fabulous!!

10. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

Thanks for the challenge! I also used a picture from Unsplash. I thought the girl looked sad, so I went with that. I changed the color of her hat from green to brown and did some coloring and other adjustments to the entire picture.

girl-in-hat-before-resized.gif
    Here's my layout.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

TrishD, Oldenmeade and NBK-Design like this.
  11. Joan K

Joan K Maybe I'll just grow down

The before image is in the upper left part of the layout. First I recolored it to a tealish blue (center), then I recolored the same jacket in a different picture - taken from the back - to a green shade (far right). The template and all additions were from the Over The Rainbow Collection - with lots of recoloring and blend modes. I think I wore out my hue/saturation slider on this one!
    [​IMG]

Oldenmeade and NBK-Design like this.
  12. nollipap

nollipap Well-Known Member

Thank you for a wonderful challenge- here is the end result - I used Art & Love Collection
    Hue & Saturation original.jpg
    Hue & Saturation coloring.jpg
    [​IMG][/URL]

Thuria, TrishD and Oldenmeade like this.
  13. Oldenmeade

I love your end result. The muted tones on the hat and journaling/quote all add to the reflective nature of the piece.

14. Oldenmeade

LOL Joan - I'd hate to think of my sliders running out :) Such a great job on the challenge! And it looks like a lovely place to hike.

Joan K likes this.
  15. Oldenmeade

Beautifully done! I have to say I like your altered version much better than the original. It's gorgeous!

16. wvsandy

wvsandy Grinning Granny

Fun Technique to learn. Thanks.
    [​IMG]

Joan K and Oldenmeade like this.
  17. Oldenmeade

What a lovely thought... helping God to choose the colors of the flowers. :)

18. SharLamb

SharLamb I should have been a Supreme

Oldenmeade likes this.
  19. marijke

marijke Weekends are for wine.

thank you for the challenge Trish

[​IMG]

I recolored the apples

NBK-challenge.jpg

TrishD and Oldenmeade like this.
  20. Ursula

Ursula Well-Known Member

Thanks for the challenge, Trish. I recoloured Josie's coat. She is a black-tri Aussie and I made a red-tri which is a recognized colour too.

[​IMG]

Oldenmeade and SharLamb like this.