National Potato Day | Pad Patter 8.19

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by bestcee, Aug 19, 2021.

1. tanteva

tanteva Even the professionals are bewildered

Wow - I thought this was a Swedish dish - "lapskojs" ... googled and it's said to be common in the entire Northern Europe. In Sweden it's traditionally served with pickled beets. It's kinda neat, actually. I need to figure out if there's a way to make this now that I'm a vegetarian. But I doubt it, hard to find that really salty taste in any of the "meats" I can get.

It's very common in Sweden to make this in a quick & easy way. There's a kind of salty meat sold in tins & you just mix it into mashed potatoes made from powder (I'm sure it has a name in English that I don't know ... Instant mash or something, I guess). This is a dinner you make when camping or in your summer house or where ever your cooking possibilities are limited. Easy to just bring the tin & the powder & a can of pickled beets.

2. Memaw2Wm

Memaw2Wm Well-Known Member

Lapskaus/Lapkojs remind me of corned beef hash which I like to eat with fried eggs.

3. tanteva

tanteva Even the professionals are bewildered

Sorry ... I'm a food geek ... love everything about food. Can't stop myself from commenting.

I think hash is more like the Swedish "Pyttipanna" - correct me if I'm wrong. The difference is that in Lapskojs you mix the (SALTY) meat pieces into mashed potatoes, but in a Pyttipanna you have the potatoes & meat (can be any kind of leftovers, like steak, sausage, whatever meat) & onion chopped in small cubes, and fried.

Pyttipanna is traditionally eaten (in Sweden) with fried eggs, but not the lapskojs. Both with pickled beets though. I eat it with ketchup at times in stead. Don't tell anyone, I could get ostracized (sp?) LOL

Memaw2Wm likes this.
  4. mary kate

mary kate Well-Known Member

1) Do you like potatoes?
    I LOVE potatoes, and they are definitely a staple food for me.

2) What's your favorite way to eat a potato?
    Mashed. (But I also love them baked, French-fried, home-fried, scalloped, and etc.)

3) What's your favorite potato dish?
    Scalloped potatoes.

4) What's your favorite potato?
    Russets from P.E.I.

5) Is there anything unusual you add potatoes to?
    Though I hardly ever make it anymore, on those rare occasions when I make a tourtière (a traditional French-Canadian meat pie), I add mashed potatoes to the meat filling, as per my mother's recipe.

5. Scrapping with Liz

Scrapping with Liz Crafts for days.

1) Do you like potatoes? I can easily pass them up.
    2) What's your favorite way to eat a potato? Probably has tater tots or fries. But can pass those up too.
    3) What's your favorite potato dish? Sweet Potato casserole.
    4) What's your favorite potato? Sweet Potato
    5) Is there anything unusual you add potatoes to? Not really. We'll put chili on our potatoes.

Anyone else out there not really like potatoes!?!?

6. ArmyGrl

ArmyGrl Merlot, Cab, Chard, Reisling - all 4 food groups!

Hee hee...I'm just a couch potato! Thats my favorite.

Memaw2Wm likes this.
  7. LeeAndra

LeeAndra A total Betty.

1) Do you like potatoes?
    I loooooooove potatoes.

2) What's your favorite way to eat a potato?
    We enjoy Pioneer Woman's crash hot potatoes. My mom's mashed potatoes hold a special place in my heart.

3) What's your favorite potato dish?
    See above. :)

4) What's your favorite potato?
    I am lazy so I only buy red potatoes and only make potato dishes that do not require peeling.

5) Is there anything unusual you add potatoes to?
    I don't think so?

8. Memaw2Wm

Memaw2Wm Well-Known Member

Yum! I like those too. I need to make some.

9. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

1) Do you like potatoes? yeah, not to the point that i'd die without them like DD
    2) What's your favorite way to eat a potato? umm, with a fork or spoon & my mouth :backing
    3) What's your favorite potato dish? i hate the peeling and physical mashing to get mashed potato but it's worth it and i usually add something else to reduce how much potato is in the mash anyway but it's probably the one thing i'd miss if i couldn't have potatoes again
    4) What's your favorite potato? Spud Lite (lower carb variety, it surely can't just be an Aussie thing?) takes some of the guilt out of potatoes but i usually mix them with cauli, cannelini beans, sweet potato or pumpkin or something else if they're being mashed
    5) Is there anything unusual you add potatoes to? not that i can think of

ETA: i would miss gnocchi (Italian potato pasta) if i couldn't eat potatoes again too so maybe that's my number 5 unusual thing?

10. Nemla

Nemla Stretching my skill set

@bellbird Spud lite ??????? Yep I am pretty sure it is an Aussie thing.
    1. I love potatoes
    2.Fave way to eat them? Potato salad in summer, oven roasted in winter....
    Or chips,or wedges,or fried..
    3.Fave dish ? An oven dish with sliced potatoes, sliced beetroot,Italian herbs,and olive oil sprinkled on top. I like pyt i panne too, (see Tanteva's post.)
    4. Fave sort ? Kelly for chips, All Many or Galactica for salad ,all others for everything else.
    5. No I don't do anything unusual with them.

bellbird likes this.
  11. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

My mom likes to dip plain salted potato chips in sour cream.
    I like to dip french fries in Chocolate shakes (frostys) from Wendy's. Those flavors go together well!

tanteva likes this.
  12. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I've never heard of Spud Lite. I'm super intrigued.

Here, we have to add cauli (or whatever) to the potato. Which is why I've never had low-carb potatoes. :whistle:rofl

bellbird likes this.