Name Something Your Mother or Grandmother... | Pad Patter 10.14.16

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by keepscrappin, Oct 14, 2016.

1. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

My Granny's split pea and ham soup as well as her Irish stew.
    My Mother made fabulous cheese, white sauces and gravies that transformed everything fabulously.

keepscrappin and Cath_ like this.
  2. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

My mom also made awesome fried chicken. I've made it a few times for my kids, but I'm lazy and usually just get KFC when we want fried chicken. I do know how to cut up a whole chicken. She taught me that which comes in handy when I get the rotisserie chickens at Sam's club. Another one of my lazy cook tricks.

Love the "drive us very carefully to her favorite restaurant." I've done that before. I'm like you I don't enjoy being in the kitchen. I love eating food, I just don't love cooking it. I'm a good cook, so that's not the problem. I'd just rather be scrappin instead of cookin. lol

That's so cool that you have a photo of your grandmother. My mom and her mom used to make chicken noodle soup. I remember helping them roll out and cut the noodles. One of my brothers and one of my sisters makes them all the time. Once again, I'm a lazy cook, so I just buy the country pasta noodles at wal-mart and make the rest of the soup like mom and Grandma Richens did. My hubby and kids never had them from my mom, so they don't know any better. I think they taste good too. Maybe not as fresh, but still so yummy.

Oh dear! That's too funny. Glad you don't hate chicken anymore.

Yum, Yum, Yum. I'm a sucker for pound cake with fresh strawberries and whipped cream. I'm not a fan of angel food cake, so when they want strawberry shortcake for a family party, I always volunteer so I can make sure it's pound cake and not angel food cake. I should really learn how to bake pound cake, instead of buying it at Sam's Club. It'd probably be more cost effective homemade.

Oh yes! I loved my mom's roast beef, potatoes and gravy. My mom made the best, moistest roasts. The secret is to use a roasting bag and lipton beefy onion soup mix. I like to make roast , potatoes, andbaby carrots in my crockpot. I add a cup of water a packet of beefy onion soup mix and add a couple of cans of cream of chicken. It makes the most wonderful gravy and it's all in one pot to clean up.

My hubby never really liked roasts until he married me. His mom would cremate them. I remember eating Sunday dinner at his house when we were dating and wondering what the mystery meat/leather was we were eating. It was so dry, I had to smoother it in gravy. Turns out that his maternal grandma never cooked, so his mom had to teach herself when she got married.

She did end up being a good cook, but not as good as my mom. I've since tweaked many recipes, making them my own by combining the good from both moms. My hubby loves my potato salad and funeral potatoes more than his mom's. Now that both of our moms are gone, he volunteers me to make the things he likes for family gatherings.

3. keepscrappin

We've had cereal for dinner many times, especially when hubby travels. My kids know how to take care of themselves, when mom says it's a fend for yourself night. lol

y_baros likes this.
  4. enjoyyourpix

enjoyyourpix My mama don't like you

gosh darn it! Now I want cereal.
    [​IMG]
    I'm out of milk though. Do I get dressed and go to store? Or sit her in my sweats and whine about it??? mmm. The struggle is real. Maybe I'll just have some dry Frosted Flakes? Yep. That's it.

bellbird, y_baros and keepscrappin like this.
  5. mimisgirl

mimisgirl It's all about ME!

on one side, my grandmother never cooked because my grandpa was a chef - on the other - her peach cobbler!! she had a peach tree in the back yard and would make cobbler every spring - I STILL cannot match it - it was that good!

6. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

All kinds of things. My Grandma taught me how to make egg noddles, which I never do, but I still remember how to do it. Grandma pickled all kinds of things, fruit pies, fudge, cakes, and cookies (and always sent us home with a bag of cookies from her freezer). She had a huge garden. So did we growing up, so we canned and froze all kinds of things. And with 6 of us kids: lots of casseroles that fed 8 to 10 people. Of all those things, I still make potato soup (with German rivels) and carrot cookies.

My first digital scapbook was actually a cookbook, old pictures, and childhood memories book that I made. I gave a copy to each of my siblings and to my parents. My parents even learned of a few "bad" things we got away with at the time.

bellbird and keepscrappin like this.
  7. keepscrappin

oh be still my heart! I love, love, love peach cobbler. :heartslub

That's so cool that your first scrapbook was a cookbook of all your favorites and childhood memories. What a treasure indeed.

8. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

I think this thread should go on forever... Just remembered my mil's fried chicken. omg. She started off by melting 1 lb of butter! I don't recall much other than that except smelling that amazing melting butter that she friend that chicken in. Done in a square electric frying pan. 'Talk about good...'

9. keepscrappin

Oooh... that does sound good! Now, you've turned on my smelling senses and I'm thinking of my mom frying chicken. She used a big 'ole cast iron frying pan, lots of oil, flour, garlic salt and pepper. Gotta have plenty of garlic, that's what she said made the chicken taste so good. I can practically taste it now while I'm typing. Too bad she's gone to heaven and I can't have her fry up a couple of chickens for me.

10. MrsPeel

MrsPeel LOVE LOVE LOVE!!!

I'm not reading this because I am already on my way to the kitchen after reading Justine's post...but one dish I LOVE to this day, my mum still makes it but my Grandma was the very best: something caled Kebbe- I ll find you the photo and recipe, but now I NEED to go eat LOL

bellbird and keepscrappin like this.
  11. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

@MrsPeel Kibbee...the raw lamb/beef and bulgar formed around a slender finger? Oh yes!!!

bellbird likes this.
  12. corsicar

corsicar Dinner tonight? Something chocolate I'm sure!

Reading through this thread... My tummy is grumbling! All the desserts sound amazing. My mom is Filipino so I loved pretty much everything she cooked. My absolute favorites are her chicken adobo (tangy sauce made of soy sauce and vinegar, with garlic) and the lumpia (fried egg rolls). The best!!

She also made a Jello pie? Not sure what to call it, but it had a butter/flour crust, with a filling of lemon jello mixed with whipped topping and cream cheese. Yum!

Last edited: Oct 15, 2016
    keepscrappin and BevG like this.
  13. KarenW

KarenW Send in the Clowns

My grandmother had 12 kids so bulk food was the order of the day - and as soon as the eldest was old enough cooking duties were handed on.

Mum was never much of a cook, did the basics well, meat and three veg every night but roasts on Sunday after church were the absolute highlight!

And she made and still makes the best sponge cakes - very light and in much demand.

keepscrappin and BevG like this.
  14. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

that sounds like something i'd eat, and i don't even like jelly/jello!

keepscrappin likes this.
  15. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

we usually make 2-3 variations on dinner every night - i would so hope none of the 12 were fussy eaters (and don't think i'd be very accommodating!)

keepscrappin likes this.
  16. keepscrappin

You have one smart grandma! Handing the cooking duties on as soon as the child was old enough is genius. I wish I would have thought of that. Last year I decided that I was tired of cooking and having one or more of my kids complain that they didn't like what was for dinner, so I gave each of them a night to cook. That way at least one night a week they could cook something they liked for dinner. It worked for a few months and then died off when the older kids got jobs and had to work most nights. My 10 year old needs to learn how to cook more things, so I may have to bring back the kid cooking nights and help her learn to cook her favorites.

17. Lynnette

Lynnette In my life, I've loved them all

Steamed carrot pudding! We have this every Thanksgiving and Christmas, my grandma always made it and now my Mom does it. Paired with a fluffy nutmeg sauce over it that is to die for! My mom also taught me how to make the perfect over easy eggs.
    I love this thread.

keepscrappin likes this.
  18. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

My grandma's salmon patties. Yummo! And my Mom used to make the best Texas sheet cake and lemon bars. and now I'm hungry! Lol!

19. keepscrappin

My sister used to make my Mom's Texas sheet cake when we were teenagers and it would be gone in a flash.... oh so yummy!

20. rchansen

rchansen in the sweet tooth recovery program

My grandmother made the best homemade lasagna!! We have it every year for Christmas. I'd LOVE to have it more often but we try to keep it a special meal.