Name Brands??

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by dotcomkari, Mar 6, 2021.

1. dotcomkari

dotcomkari The Deaf Superstar

Are there any products where you just must have named brand??

For us, we are now are kinda a TIDE laundry soap family. we were using a cheaper brand, but it seemed like we were going through a lot of soap and clothes were never totally clean.. we went to tide and saw a huge difference in the first set of loads!

Also Eric has been a Charmin Toliet paper snub lately.. we use to not really care.. but he tried charmin at my parents and hasn't turned back. He says it is a blanket for his A**.. *L*

Another thing we don't skimp on is DOG food.. We have a certain more expensive brand we always buy for Neelix. Since he is truly an important member of the family. And some foods cause major stomach issues for him and cause him to make magic mush instead of magic nuggets.. so we are VERY picky on his dog food.

Also use DAWN dish soap. Just seems to stretch longer and we use less of it for dishes! ... also use to wash the dog. (reccomended by vet)... and always gets things clean.. the good old blue stuff...

2. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

Let's just say I'm a pretty brand loyal person. Too many to actually name although I agree with Eric on Charmin. That has been the only toilet paper in my house as long as I can remember! I had just stocked up at Sam's Club in January of 2020 so had no worries when the shutdowns began a year ago. Although I didn't make my mid-year run in July like normal, I still had some left but I started buying a pack at the grocery about every other trip. When I did get to Sam's in October, they didn't have any so I've still been buying at the grocery. I do have a place to put my paper stock in the basement so no storage issues here :)

dotcomkari likes this.
  3. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

We've found, most generally, that the "store brand" is as good as the "name brand". They're cheaper, too.

cfile likes this.
  4. dotcomkari

Yeah we buy a lot of store brand stuff and aldi brands..but some things we just cant skimp on anymore.
    Guess we have became snubs in our older age..lol

5. KimJ

KimJ Did you check in the refrigerator?

We do a lot of store brands. I'm not super picky about too many things, so even if I notice a difference, it doesn't bother me. We've even found a couple of things that we actually prefer the store brand.

We are Charmin people too though. Years ago when they changed up their product line we cycled through and tried several different brands and came back to the Charmin Ultra Strong.

As far as laundry detergent, we have been using All Free for years. We were at my mom's one time and I'd done a load of laundry using Cheer or Tide (I can't remember which), and DH broke out in a horrible rash all over his back after putting on one of the shirts I'd washed. I don't know if it was a coincidence, but as I'm sensitive to scents anyway I'm fine with using the hypoallergenic stuff. :)

cfile likes this.
  6. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

I’m about 50/50 on name brands vs store brands. Of the top of my head ketchup, bread, soft drink/pop, iced tea, probiotic yogurt, mayonnaise and lactose free cream cheese (if I buy it) must be name brand. Tomato relish, lactose free milk, cheese triangles I buy store brand either because it’s considerably cheaper or it’s just as good as name brand or like @KimJ I just prefer it.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2021
    KimJ likes this.
  7. Iowan

Iowan Is this heaven? No, it's Iowa

Although I don’t drink a lot of pop (soda as most non-Iowans call it) I only drink Diet Coke never the store brand colas.
    Along with many of you, we are also in the Charmin camp! I bet Proctor and Gamble loves this thread.

dotcomkari likes this.
  8. sm_amber

sm_amber I learn from the best..

Tillamook or Cabot cheese, Quilted Northern TP, Dove body wash, and Hidden Valley Ranch. Everything else we do generic/store brands.

9. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

This just reminded me that there is a P&G factory just 20 minutes from me (they make Tide Pods and liquid Tide there) and P&G is headquartered just 2 hours south of me. Probably why P&G products are well liked around these parts!

10. Donitab

Donitab If only the TV would yell back

Heinz ketchup, Hellman’s Mayo, Miracle Whip, Peter Pan Peanut Butter, Hershey’s Cocoa. I guess I’m kinda picky.

11. Scrapping with Liz

Scrapping with Liz Crafts for days.

There's a few things I like name brands but for the most part store brands will do.

I like Angel Soft toilet paper. We use name brand trash bags - I've had bad luck with generic brands. And we prefer name brand cereals. Everything else is pretty much whatever is the best deal.

12. rach3975

rach3975 Well-Known Member

I think we're brand snobs, LOL. It's not deliberate--there are a lot of store brand items we buy and love. But there are also a lot of name brands we insist on. Skippy peanut butter, Scott TP (DH insists--I think the store brand is fine!), Hershey cocoa, name brand yogurts, name brand cereals, Eggo pancakes, Pepperidge Farms breads, and Tide Free laundry detergent. (I vowed not to try any others after a couple bad experiences when a family member reacted to another detergent and I had to rewash everything they owned because I didn't know which things were washed with the new detergent.) Our store brand paper towels aren't very good, so I won't buy them. But we'll buy whichever of the name brand smaller sheets (like pick a size) are on sale. For very sharp cheddar cheese we buy Cabot or Cracker Barrel, and we will buy any of the name brand shredded cheeses rather than the store ones, but for most sliced and bar cheeses the store brand is good. Sometimes it's about the nutrition profile--we end up with name brands when we prefer something that there is no store version of, like Simply Heinz ketchup or Morningstar Farms vegetarian meat substitutes.

13. dotcomkari

I call soda pop too. Wisconsinite here...lol

AJK likes this.
  14. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

Charmin for us too! And I hate cheap paper napkins. And coffee has to be the good stuff. And ... guess we are rather brand specific.

15. dotcomkari

Never guessed there was so many charmin users here.. cha... cha... cha

16. weaselwatchr

weaselwatchr Viva, Las Vegas!

Quilted Northern TP in this house. Heinz ketchup only otherwise hubby would freak out as well as Hellman's Mayo. And name brand pop. I made the terrible mistake of getting store brand nilla wafers and they were just not the same. Otherwise store brand on everything else tho.

[​IMG]

cfile likes this.
  17. Nemla

Nemla Stretching my skill set

I buy most stuff at Lidl so it is store brand. But I can't stand any of their cereal's and I am not to keen on some of the shampoos either. But Nescafe,Bistow (for making gravy ) and Lurpak butter are non negotiable....oh and Macs tooth paste, Head and shoulders shampoo....

cfile likes this.
  18. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

We use ALL Free for the same reason Kim. Hubby was breaking out from other brands.

Starbucks Coffee, Heinz Ketchup and Hellman's Mayonaise are 3 other items that need to be name brand :) Toilet Tissue...growing up it was only Scotts.. now I use any brand but I prefer Angel Soft or Cottonelle but we also buy Walmart brand.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2021
    KimJ likes this.
  19. Mrsdudds

Mrsdudds Well-Known Member

We don't stick to brands for food, we buy them if they are on offer. Our laundry liquid is always local supermarket own brand. It's cheap, you get loads of washes from a bottle and it does the job. The only branded thing in our shopping trolley each week is our dog food, we buy Harrington's. We have tried our dogs on supermarket own food and they were fine for months, but recently I think they have changed the recipe and it didn't agree with the dogs. So back to the branded name dog food we went.

20. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

I am with @cfile and others on the ketchup and mayo. When I first moved from east to west coast i nearly had a heart attack when I couldn't find Hellman's mayo. I quickly learned that Best (I think that was what it is called out there, I'm back in NY now so I forget!) is the west coast counterpart. whew!
    I prefer Dawn too but my hubby went and did a big shopping trip months ago and bought tons of cheaper dish detergent. We still have 2 bottles of it - so I have to use it bf I can buy Dawn again. We prefer Tom's toothpaste and Mouthwash but I do sometimes buy other brands. My daughter will only eat certain brands of a lot of different things. And we only buy seafood from one small local grocery chain here. I don't buy it from the big grocery stores at all.

cfile likes this.