Moving sucks.

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by Karah, Sep 27, 2012.

1. Karah

Karah Karah

Big time. I feel like I'm so behind on everything going on here at the pad!! We are moving this weekend and we're in the final packing crunch and all I want to do is curl up on the couch and take a nap. :hissy Seriously - how did we get sooooo much stuff??? The only reason I'm on here right now is because DH just left to take a load of stuff to store at his office temporarily :giggle

So on that note, how many times have you moved? I moved only once as a kid and we have lived in 5 houses since we've been married (about to move to #6!). And it just gets harder each time. Ugh!

2. HeatherB

HeatherB Ain't nothin wrong with a few dust bunnies!

My parents still live in their first home, so growing up we were always in the same place.

I moved out when I graduated university, moved around a bit (upgrading apartments each time), then moved to our first home (spent 10 finally moved to our current home. So that's 6 times. Wow. We've been in this place for almost 10 years, and I have no intention or desire to move anywhere else.

I hope the rest of the move goes quickly and easily for you Karah. Moving is stressful!

3. suefalstaff

suefalstaff suefalstaff

I've just done a rough count and I reckon I've moved home at least 10 times ... that's the joys of being a pads-brat (i.e. my dad was in the military, so we moved a LOT!)

Good luck with your move!

4. charmedeebob

charmedeebob Heather's Team

I moved a few times as a kid and lots in my 20's, but only a couple times since
    Being married, and never with 3 kids!!! I can't imagine, I think I'm staying here until they all move out!! Lol good luck Karah, I hate moving so I feel your pain!

5. KarenW

KarenW Send in the Clowns

we moved a month ago - most painful expeirence in many, many years (sorry not being encouraging here..). We hadn't done a clear out since having a family (20 years!!!), Luckily our old house was being knocked down and the builder let us leave behind anything broken, packaging, magazines, a whole lot of rubbish. Was very satisfying clearing out stuff and then seeing all the rest pushed down and taken away... Moving back in 9 months - hopefully.

(and I was on the brink of exhausted tears for about two very long weeks)

6. Dana

Dana Dana

oh good luck karah!! it's amazing how much stuff we can accumulate :(

growing up, i moved twice (once when i was 5 and once when i was 15) .. but since college i've moved NINE times and i'll be moving again this summer. i'm going to start de-cluttering and getting rid of all our old baby stuff sooooon so that i'm not as stressed in june!

7. joelsgirl

joelsgirl joelsgirl

I feel ya! We just moved from Malaysia to the PHilippines, and we only took what we could pack in 400 lbs worth of suitcases & 5 50 lb boxes that were shipped. 400 lbs goes really fast when you're trying to pack all of your personal belongings into it! We've always lived "lightly" since we live abroad, but even so we had to get rid of soooooo much stuff. (And it was the pits because when we got here we had to buy most of it again!)

This was our 10th move, and we'll move again next summer...and then back to the US for half a year the next summer. I like to think that we're just teaching our kids to be flexible, but really I miss having roots!

Where are you moving? Pictures?

8. melrio

melrio I will hunt you!

Been in the same house now for 22 years. I do love moving furniture around for a change and I kinda would like to move just so I could really get rid of a bunch of crap and not take it with us.

9. renee82

renee82 renee82

hmmmm... let's see. I moved about 5 times when I was in college but only twice as a kid. My hubby and I lived in two different appartments and have bought three different houses. Most recently we moved almost a year ago and I don't plan on doing it again for a very long time. Good luck Karah!

10. staciahall

staciahall Quidditch, anyone?

My parents closed on their second home on my 19th birthday, so that's two. I lived in two apartments in college or at home with my parents, so 4. One duplex until 2nd child, then a house until divorced, so 6. Then in 2005, the kids and I moved here, a little smaller house. I plan to move when the market is better and get a smaller house for just me and the pets, but with guest rooms for when the kids are home. We did a really big purge moving from the bigger house to this one and got rid of so many things. I don't relish the idea of moving again but my daughter's stuff is already out and by that time, my son's probably will be too so I can declutter as much as I want.

11. twomoredays

twomoredays Her name is Rio and she dances on the sand

Let's see, we moved three times when I was a kid, then I moved here for college, and I've moved 8 times since! Oh, being in your twenties. And I stayed in one place for three years which is a decade in a college town.

We've lived in this duplex since we got married last year and we'll be here at least until June, but we'll probably spend at least another year after that. We'd like to buy a house, but, well, if wishes were houses or something.

Oh, and I meant to say I hate moving!!! I love books and they are terrible to move. On the plus side, now that I've started digi-scrapping, I probably won't have to move my paper stash next time! Moving is seriously one of my least favorite things. I'm having a hard time thinking of something more emotionally and physically draining.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2012
  12. Angie4b1g

Angie4b1g A hundred jobs but Bob Villa ain't one

When we moved here, I told dh the only way I was moving again was in a pine box. :rofl

13. DoodleBop

DoodleBop Just call me Sweetcakes.

I think one of the things I hate more than anything in this world is MOVING. yuck! And to top it off we are looking for a new home. Eep!

14. KimJ

KimJ Did you check in the refrigerator?

Ugh, Karah. Hope it all goes smoothly. and you're settled in soon.

As a kid we moved a few times that I was too young to remember, but then settled into the house my mom still lives in. I lived in two different dorms and then two different apartments in college. Moved back home for a couple of months before coming here just before I got married. We had a little one bedroom apartment for a few years and then built this house, which we've been in since 1995.

If we ever have to move again, it will be a total nightmare. We have enough stuff to fill at least three houses. I've been trying to emphasize the purge thing the last couple of years, and trying to beat it into DH's head that no matter how cheap something is, if we don't NEED it and won't really USE it, it's just clutter, but we still just have waaaaaaaay too much!

15. adejong

adejong Glutton for punishment

We've moved twice since we were married, and the last time (6 years ago) we said we're never doing that again!
    Good luck the move Karah!

16. sarahbhb

sarahbhb Happy Anniversary babe! Now, pack up!

yeah moving isn't fun at all...

I only moved a couple of times as a kid, about 5 or 6 times after I graduated from college but before I got married and about 12 times since marriage. Everyone thinks I should have the whole moving thing down, but it's never ever easy. I think you're right..I think it gets harder.

17. LeeAndra

LeeAndra A total Betty.

I moved multiple times from newborn to 2 years old, 3 times growing up, 3 times in college (not including that my parents moved while I was a junior), and 7 times since 2002. Ugh. I hate it.

This very last time was a nightmare since I was only halfway done with packing when my grandmother unexpectedly passed away. Hubs and his parents ended up finishing the packing and move... which means we still have not located several things that Hubs put 'in a safe place' during the move. :whistle

We will be moving again next year when Hubs is promoted and most likely a couple times after that as he moves up the UPS food chain and/or takes a new job after he's finished with his master's.

18. Sara

Sara Riding in the Neil mobile

Oh yes, moving is a big ball of stress and logistical nightmares. I hope that everything goes smoothly and you're feeling settled soon soon Karah!! I always hate that feeling of being behind and it usually takes awhile to work your way back in to normalcy after the moving process! Lots of smooth move vibes to you!! :beat

I have moved 4 times in 10 years, which actually is not as many movesv as I anticipated as a military spouse. So I'll take it. But it's definitely part of our lifestyle and something we have to cope with, so I try to make the best of it but the truth is I loathe moving with the fiery passion of 1000 suns.

Lots of luck to you love!

19. Karah

Karah Karah

Thanks for all the commiseration! I think what's hardest is that we JUST did this two years ago so I feel like it was yesterday that I was boxing all these same things up. It's such a pain! But hopefully, this time it's for the long-haul. lol

Having four kids really does make a HUGE difference. I had to spend probably 2 full days in each of their rooms and they STILL aren't totally done! haha.

20. KalaMae

KalaMae Member

I lived on the same farm until I went to college. Moved each year of my 4 years of college, including moving home/to my sister's for a couple of summers. In our 9 years of marriage we've moved twice, but unless DH gets some kind of crazy job offer, this will be the last time for a LONG time. Moving blows.