Monthly Muse March 2018 - Week #1

Discussion in 'Art Journaling' started by bcgal00, Mar 2, 2018.

1. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

[​IMG]

Welcome to the March edition of Monthly Muse. There will be 4 weekly challenges, posted on Friday the 2nd, 9th, 16th and 23rd.

This month will be about music. Music can evoke many emotions, many feelings. Each week we are going to focus on a different emotional state and create pages based on song titles and/or lyrics as they relate to that emotional state, however the music affects us.

Muse: Music and Emotion

[​IMG]

Music can be a very powerful tool for emotional release, balance, expression, understanding, enlightenment and so much more. Music doesn't have to be lyrics to have an impact on you, the melody alone can do that but often times, it is the title or lyrics that will prod your memory, bring up feelings, etc.

I will provide some music playlist titles to inspire you or you may find your musical inspiration, based on that week's emotional state. This is up to interpretation and please create your page in any style and go in any direction the inspiration takes you.

INSPIRATION
    Week 1: Happiness

Music can inspire us, can bring happy memories and feelings to the surface. Have you ever listened to a song and it just brings a smile to your face? Maybe you stepped a little lighter, feeling a sense of well-being, of feeling uplifted?

Here's a playlist of songs that may provoke that sense of "uplifting" in your mood or bring to mind a happy memory. You may choose your own musical inspiration based on this week's inspiration "happiness". It's not necessary to include the song title and/or lyrics in your page design but it would be fun to include them. Let the inspiration take you whichever way you want, have fun with it!

[​IMG]
    Remember, you may create any style of layout you wish, with or without photos. Create any size page you wish. This is for everyone! There are no restrictions, have fun and see where the inspiration takes you.

Please post your layout to the Art Journaling Gallery HERE prior to March 31st and then post it in this thread by copying the code (at the right of your gallery image) from the box under "Share BB Code".

We will draw a winner at the beginning of next month, even more incentives for your inspiration! You can use any products in The Lilypad store, make sure you follow our gallery guidelines. Pages are due last day of the month.

If you have any questions, ask here in this thread. Have fun and I can't wait to see how "Music & Emotion" inspires you.

2. Rikki

Rikki Next I'm going to look up naughty limericks

Oh, this is fun! I have made a couple of pages recently with lyrics etc. I will add a personal challenge to this and will use my favourite band for inspiration for my pages this month.

3. NancyP

NancyP All you need is a little bit of pixie dust

WOW, I'm getting old!!! The only ones I recognize are under the "Don't Worry, Be Happy" category!!!!

wvsandy and Cherylndesigns like this.
  4. Pups_r_Paps

Pups_r_Paps Well-Known Member

NancyP - I was thinking the same thing!!!! Glad we can use a song of our own choosing!

Cherylndesigns likes this.
  5. KAPOH

KAPOH Well-Known Member

:lalalaWell, that spoiled MY happiness for the week - OLD - I don't know MOST of these songs or the artists! Let me put on a Sinatra RECORD (!). That will make this old geezer "happy!"
    I actually found one song from the list (!) that I know AND like! This is my ATC:
    [​IMG]

6. Pups_r_Paps

Pups_r_Paps Well-Known Member

This song by Blake Shelton is so sweet, it just makes me smile when I hear it:
    [​IMG]

7. Rikki

Rikki Next I'm going to look up naughty limericks

My self imposed challenge to only use the lyrics of one badn already throws a spanner in the works. I don't think that The Smiths have even one happy song. :)

But there are lyrics with the word happy in them, even though they come with an immediate qualifier.

[​IMG]

Mylinn, Cherylndesigns and mcurtt like this.
  8. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

I chose the song MOVE (Keep Walkin') by Toby Mac, not because it speaks of happiness, but because its sound, rhythm and message give me a sense of strength and joy.
    [​IMG]

Mylinn, Cherylndesigns and mcurtt like this.
  9. mcurtt

mcurtt give me all the paleo brownies

I guess I went "cutsey".

[​IMG]

Mylinn, wvsandy, GlazeFamily3 and 2 others like this.
  10. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

How fun! I love music, especially happy music. Love all of these awesome layouts.

11. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

@NancyP - ha ha - and I only know about half of the ones in that category!!

12. bbymks5

bbymks5 Where oh where can it be?!?

I know, I know...a lot people gag on Christmas music, but this song ALWAYS makes me happy!

[​IMG]

Mylinn and mcurtt like this.
  13. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

@bbymks5 I listen to Christmas music ALL year round! My kids love it and so do I! lol
    Happy music, I am all ready for this, love this Muse!

14. cinderella

cinderella I was alone once...best.day.ever.

The kind of music I like isn't actually happy. I'm more into metal and hard rock:eg9. The only happy song I know is the one I sing to my daughter "If you're happy and you know it, clap your hands".
    That was my starting point, but my page turned out a bit different than happy kids stomping their feet.
    Thank you for the inspiration!
    [​IMG]

15. blueberries

blueberries Did I ever tell you I have a thing for snakes?

You know the hardest part about these challenges is going to be turning in a finished piece without a dissertation on music, auditory synesthesia, and why I love a particular song so much.

It seems too easy, this song: Happy by Pharrell Williams. But as I went through my playlists I realized it was the only one that truly fit the bill. Other songs can make me smile or laugh, make me dance or energize me, but this one can take me from my literal lowest point to outright happy in less than four minutes, every single time.

The lyrics aren't great for journaling, so I just tried to show how this song makes me feel. Hopefully I got it right :-D

[​IMG]

Mylinn, mcurtt and Rikki like this.
  16. Janisn

Janisn Well-Known Member

A 1970s song revived in the movie Guardians of the Galaxy - When Chris Pratt turns on the music and starts dancing, kicking up water on this bleak, ruined, desolate planet it seems to say to me you can find happiness if you just put some effort into it no matter how bleak things look.
    [​IMG]

17. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

I enjoy seeing all these interpretations, wonderful pages, everyone!

Mylinn likes this.
  18. wvsandy

wvsandy Grinning Granny

I used Happy Talk from South Pacific.
    [​IMG]

mcurtt likes this.
  19. nof007750

nof007750 Active Member

No matter my mood, this play list is guaranteed to put a smile on my face.
    [​IMG]

Cherylndesigns, Mylinn and mcurtt like this.
  20. Mylinn

Mylinn What's that old bat up to now??

I tried and tried to think of the 'perfect' song for this...then tried to think of a song that made me happy (beside's Pharrell's*). No luck.
    Saw week 2 was posted and got desperate. Resorted to internet surfing for inspiration and wound up learning a bunch about music and emotion from various medical articles. It was HAPPY-ness is virtual flesh. So, my offering is random bits of the happiness I found about/from music. . .

[​IMG]

*i have several about/from it already, lol.