Memory | Pad Patter 1/20

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by jk703, Jan 20, 2022.

1. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

So, when I think about my posts on Thursday's, my first thought is to think about my life and what's going on, or what might be relatable. I like to hear others input, or ideas... and love all the suggestions that I get to read. Usually opens my mind, different perspectives and I love the chatter.

Last night I was thinking of something... and I said to myself..."This situation is a perfect Pad Patter!" Then I went to sleep.

Now... for the life of me, I cannot remember what I wanted to ask. It was such a good question too! I was so looking forward to hearing the feedback... and now I can't remember even a tiny smidge of what I wanted to ask. Ugh! I hate when this happens.

I guess I'm at the stage where I should've written it down.... I'll probably remember when I go to fall asleep tonight... and guess what, I'm coming on her immediately and asking my question! :giggle

Sometimes, I walk into a room needing to do something... and I'll forget. Leave and go to another room, and then I remember. That is one trick... but I was in bed and didn't do that. lol!

Does this happen to you?
    What have you forgotten?
    When do you remember?
    What jars your memory?

[​IMG]

michelepixels likes this.
  2. dotcomkari

dotcomkari The Deaf Superstar

My long term memory is so much better than my short term. I tend to forget what I'm doing while doing it sometimes ...lol
    I have to make long lists and use post it notes to remember stuff.. and even than ... lmao
    It's worse the older I'm getting

jk703 likes this.
  3. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

Does this happen to you? Yes, a lot!

What have you forgotten? what I was just talking about, what I was going to do next, the password I just looked at, so many things

When do you remember? later or never

What jars your memory? I have no idea. Sometimes it almost feels like what you might see with an old rusted damaged mechanical machine as it struggles to work, and then finally succeeds. I imagine my neurons chugging along slowly in spurts and then, sometime later, after I've given up on remembering, the thing pops into my mind!

The topic of memory fascinates me for two reasons. First, I've been interested in psychology forever. I even earned my B.A. in psychology in the 1990's. Secondly, my Mom died from Alzheimers last year, and I observed her losing her memory for many years. I've always loved journaling (starting keeping a diary in 1980 at the age of 8) but it has become almost an obsession now that it's so easy to record my life throughout the day with the Day One app. It has come in handy many times when I needed help remembering things too. I call my phone my external brain. :)

bestcee and jk703 like this.
  4. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

Oh my gosh. Ha ha! You totally made me chuckle. This stuff happens to me all the time. :giggle I swear it's worse now and half the time it's because I have so much to keep track of in my brain that it just shuts down on me. Lol!

jk703 likes this.
  5. Memaw2Wm

Memaw2Wm Well-Known Member

My memory is tricky ... I picture my brain as a filing cabinet ... it started out clean and organized, but over the years it's become cluttered, memories aren't filed properly, the files are bursting at the seams, so it can be hard to find what I'm looking for. Invariably what I'm looking for pops out later on when I've given up ...

jk703 likes this.
  6. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

My desk is a litter of Post It notes these days. I was NEVER like that. I had lists, of course, to get things done. But not notes scattered everywhere to remind me of things. And then I forget to read the Post It notes. LOL

Since radiation and starting hormone therapy, I definitely have brain fog. I start a sentence and then just, well, stop. Listen to one of my Watch Cheryl Scrap sessions for the past few months and you'll see a pattern.

Even my long term memory, that I long prided myself on, is starting to get holes in it.

I read daily - sometimes several times a day. I know this is a great way to strengthen your brain. It helps protect and increase memory and thinking skills. It just doesn't seem to be showing lately!

jk703 likes this.
  7. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

Glad I'm not alone! :giggle

I even forget words at time... and then explain the word I need until my friends yell it... or I substitute the word with the best thing I can think of.... then we howl with laughter cause it's usually off the wall and I do this a lot.

gonewiththewind likes this.
  8. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

Normal aging memory issues so far for me. I do remember things from a long time ago and when talking with people also involved, I find they have no memory of it at all. Remembering what I did last week, sometimes I struggle.

I do have notes and lists on the desk. I have for the last several years kept a small notebook in my purse that has information about household items (like sizing for curtains in case I find something I want), types of light bulbs used in different rooms etc. Oddball stuff. I also keep a list of the jigsaw puzzles that I own in there. It has come in handy. I picked one up at Wal-Mart the other day and thought about buying it. Then I pulled out the list... I already have it!

I will forget words and names and they will come back to me later. When I worked I kept a pencil and paper next to the bed because I would often think of things to solve problems at work so I'd write it down so I could remember it in the morning. My dreams solved a lot of work issues!

And, odd things will bring back long-term memories for me. Thanksgiving Day was exactly 50 years to the day since I had last seen my grandmother. She passed the day after Thanksgiving that year. When I realized that, all those memories of 16 year old me came back including the feelings of losing someone close to me (first person for me). Over the weekend, I took advantage and scrapped those feelings. Other times looking at a photo then doing a google search about maybe a location, will bring back memories.

jk703 likes this.
  9. QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom I'll never run out of things to do!

All the time, all my life. I finally figured out it was part of having ADD, which I didn’t know I had until about a decade ago. My big thing is I go onto the computer to find something, then get immediately distracted by something on the open webpage I’m going to do the search on, and -*+/ZAPPO\+*- it’s gone. My mind is continually racing around to all the various thoughts I have in my head and I never know where it’s going to land.
    Have you ever seen this guy? He talks about the difference between men’s and women’s brains. The best part is the Nothing Box. It’s simply hysterical.

10. Memaw2Wm

Memaw2Wm Well-Known Member

YES!!! For several years I couldn't pull bookcase/bookshelf out of my brain into my mouth. So I'd be trying to describe it ... "you know, that thing (make a flat gesture with my hand) that you put those things you read on (gesture shelving a book)." It was both funny and frustrating b/c I sure use those words a lot, lol!!!

jk703 likes this.
  11. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

I'd love to say my memory is good but its not. Ok, I lie....its ok but definitely could be better....most of the decline has come in the past 2-3 years since my sleep issues arose. If you are sleep deprived, you're not going to be running on all cylinders in any shape. I survive on reminders and doing things as soon as I can cause I've missed more than one deadline because I couldn't remember something

12. Scrapping with Liz

Scrapping with Liz Crafts for days.

Yes! I definitely think it's an age thing but I think it also has to do with technology and social media...so much flashing before our eyes that's it's hard to focus.

I've been slowly going through this book. It hurts. LOL.
    https://www.amazon.com/How-Develop-Brilliant-Memory-Week/dp/1780287909

@QuiltyMom - we did a couples study one time and it was called Men are like waffles and women are like spaghetti. I didn't watch your whole video (watching a movie with the kids) but I think maybe it's the same thing. Guys can go into their square and literally think about nothing else...or go into their nothing square. I can't even begin to imagine what that would be like. LOL.

QuiltyMom and Karen like this.
  13. Cath_

Cath_ In my polka dot dress and apron

I think my body is shutting down, for as thin and weak as I am. But shit, i can recall every word, encounter with his old girl friend (a stripper), from 47 years ago

14. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

Yes, totally all the time.
    I like to say my Mother Board is full - I think it's actually RAM, but mothering/mother board seems more fitting to me.
    @Memaw2Wm was totally right - I am just like that too.

Karen likes this.
  15. QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom I'll never run out of things to do!

Yeah, it’s just about the same thing. His basic premise was women’s brains were all wired around where nothing shuts off, while the men’s brains are all full of boxes, only one of which can be opened at a time. And I agree - I don’t get how they can do that!