Memorabilia in photobooks

Discussion in 'Project Life/365/52' started by cacs, Apr 6, 2016.

1. cacs

cacs New Member

Hi everyone, I'm Christina and this is my first post since I'm a recently switched project lifer from paper to photo books! I'm stumped on a problem I was hoping someone could help me with. When I was doing my 12x12 3-ring album it was easy to slip in a page protector that held any sort of programs I would get from my kids' band shows. I don't have a lot of space to keep going with those 3 ring scrapbooks so I decided to switch to photo books for my yearly project life type albums, but still in the 12x12 size(I have done digital and hybrid pages before. I like to do all kinds of scrapping!). Anyway, these programs have a lot of pages to scan and include so I didn't want to do it that way because I would rather use those pages in the book for pictures and I was wondering if anybody had any ideas on how I can incorporate these types of things into my photo books?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me! :)

2. FarrahJobling

FarrahJobling FarrahJobling

What about a smaller page? Even on digital pages, you can leave part of the page near the edge blank and later cut it off

3. merank

merank Working my way through scrumdiddlyumptious bars

I've put a self adhesive plastic pocket on the inside back cover of a photo book to hold memorabilia. It worked really well for me. You can find all different sizes online or you can get more standard sizes (4x6, 8.5x11, etc.) at Staples.

4. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

Hm. This is a stumper!

Take pictures to include covers, ticket stubs, and other memorabilia on your pages. Then on the back cover, adhere a large sturdy envelope with all the programs and the items that you want to keep and are too big/too long to include on the actual pages.

If this is possible, I don't know.... But to make it actually fit within the binder of the album, I think I would add a few extra or a lot extra blank pages. Then cut them out. Then the bound book wouldn't be "overfilled" and still lie flat.

If you have A LOT of extra memorabilia or thick items, I might purchase a nice box that you can keep near your photo books, to pull out when you look at the book!

enjoyyourpix likes this.
  5. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

Jinx! Ha ha!

merank likes this.
  6. cacs

cacs New Member

Thank you for those ideas! I didn't even think about self adhesive pockets. I don't know how I missed that those even existed! lol

jk703 likes this.
  7. scrappyjedi

scrappyjedi Patience you must have, my young padawan

I switched from paper to digital and had the exact same problem! My solution so far has been to keep a small 8.5x11 binder for each year- one of the 1.5" or so ones so it's not too bulky- and keep memorabilia in standard page protectors in it. I know it adds an extra binder (and bulk) to the mix, but since they're smaller than big 12x12 albums, it's still less space after all. You could also use an accordion file or a box like Jenn suggested.

pbrooks likes this.
  8. enjoyyourpix

enjoyyourpix My mama don't like you

Those are great ideas! I scan all the programs and awards and add them to the layouts. I've found that I can shrink the awards and programs down and can fit more on a page.

[​IMG]
    Here was a bunch of kindergarten artwork. I used a photoshop blending mode to "erase" the stark white copy paper and have it blend into the paper below. I also cheated and "photoshopped" some of the pages so they fit in the squares. The construction paper pilgrim hat and turkey head and corn were much larger.
    [​IMG]
    Artwork was shrunk down. That duck with hands was much larger.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 6, 2016
    jk703, AllisonPennington and pbrooks like this.
  9. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

I snap pics of it all, and toss the programs/ticket stubs etc in garbage! I do the same with the kids artwork! I do a full page with a gallery of their work! 100% digi except for my planner...now don't touch all the stuff falling out of that! tee hee

jk703 and pbrooks like this.
  10. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

and a big ol' welcome to the LIly Pad!

11. RebeccaH

RebeccaH Life is exciting, yes it is!

First, SO glad you're here! Welcome!

Secondly, I'll throw in my 2 cents. I've addressed this a few ways in my books. The first, is the self-adhesive memorabilia pockets. If those aren't big enough, you could always fix a larger pocket into the back of the book... OR, you can purposely leave a blank page (or a page w/ only a background of patterned paper, etc) in your album, and adhere the memorabilia to that page, so it's in the album in chronological order. If you have certain things you want to keep a bit safer, you can use the adhesive laminating pages and stick one over the top of whatever you're adding. in this case, being a document of several pages, that probably wouldn't work. But for something like ticket stubs / zoo map / etc, it works great! Also, I've scanned and shrunk, as the other ladies have already mentioned as well.

jk703 likes this.
  12. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

I don't scrap chronologically, but I do keep my memorabilia in order in a smash book by year. It's basically in pockets or envelopes with some identifying remarks on a journal card. Then if I need to scan or photograph memorabilia to include on a digi page, I can easily find it.

RebeccaH likes this.
  13. Lindzee

Lindzee Aging gracefully

These are all such good ideas. I have all these types of items in a large box for each child, but I think organizing them into something more manageable using one of these ideas is great.

klee73010 likes this.
  14. klee73010

klee73010 I might have a thing for drummers

I agree with Lindzee! I need to organize the kids' stuff now, while there's not much.... lol

All my awards and programs from when I was younger and collecting them are still in my filing cabinet.

The past few events I've gotten a program for, I've taken a picture and thrown it away.

15. cacs

cacs New Member

Thanks for the welcome and thanks for all the great ideas! I think I can use each one, depending on certain things. I have taken pictures or scanned my boys' artwork and I intend on making a digital mini book. Those projects can be huge! I know with this new process it will take some getting used to and I'm still trying to figure things out so I really appreciate the help! Now if only I can figure out margins so nothing gets cut off....

16. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Welcome to The Lilypad!
    This totally depends on the book maker! Usually they have a spot where they tell you what the margins are. In general, I leave 1/4 on all sides unless I know I'm printing with a specific book binder that I know the dimensions. I always move journaling in farther, at least 1/2" from the edges. I don't worry if the edges of photos or elements are cut off, but I don't want to lose the words.

I'm also in the camp of scanning things, and usually shrinking. As I go back through programs and such from my childhood (paper scrapped or in a memory box) I find that I really don't care about a lot of the info or pages in those books. I like to see the page with my name, and I like the pages that have friends, or describe the who, what, when, where of the event unless I've captured that in another way. I do leave things full size on occasion - like my son's handprints when he was little.

I love the idea of a pocket in the back of a book! That's a great idea!

enjoyyourpix likes this.