Melatonin for sleep?

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by MissKim, Feb 18, 2013.

1. MissKim

MissKim ichthyophobic

I had my annual physical today and I told my doctor how rough my sleep schedule is. I take two Benadryl every night so I can get my mind to shut down so I can fall asleep. My doctor suggested that I try Melatonin, but she didn't tell me what dosage. She did say I need to take it earlier in the evening than I would take the Benadryl because it takes longer to kick in.

Anyone tried it? Care to share your experience?

I don't want to take something like Ambien because I'm already a pretty crazy sleeper. I've been known to scream bloody murder in the middle of the night and I used to be a huge sleep walker. When I was very young, my parents woke up because they heard my Big Wheel going up and down the sidewalk. I don't really sleep walk often any more, but I have woken up and I'm hitting my husband in my sleep. Ambien has too many crazy side effects. I'm afraid I'd really hurt someone while asleep.

However, I really would like to get a solid 8 hours of sleep. Most nights I'm more like 5-6.

2. blinks14

blinks14 The wine made me do it!

I have bad bad bad sleep patterns due to working night shift. I have tried melatonin in the past. It does work and is helpful. It comes in a variety of dosages. I have taken both 5 and 10 mg doses. It is worth a try as its a natural supplement.

3. nun69

nun69 Active Member

I actually take Ambien cause I can't get my mind to shut down, but we had to start giving my littlest one some Melatonin cause he doesn't sleep. We ok'd it with the doctor first. I have only seen it in 3mg and 5mg and I tried it and it didn't work for me. I would recommend try the 3mg and see how it works and if not go to the 5 or take 2 of the 3mg. I am so glad that now EVERYONE gets a good nights sleep in our house! It does amazing for all of us! But they are right about taking a little earlier before going to bed. We give Peyton his actually around 6-630 and he goes to bed between 8-9 pm. But in his case he has ADHD and sometimes it just takes a little longer to work for him to get his mind to settle down :) Without it, he is up and about all hours of the night and will NOT get a good nights sleep.

4. Laura

Laura Member

i take it every night (5 mg) and my oldest daughter does as well. we both sleep fine once we are asleep (usually) but it's hard to fall asleep. since we started taking it we haven't had any problems.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2013
  5. staciahall

staciahall Quidditch, anyone?

Interesting conversation. My son in college says he sometimes has problems getting the mind to slow down. Might try it for him.

6. strawberryredhead

strawberryredhead Tacos, tostadas, tamales, OH MY!

I've had bouts of insomnia for years. Melatonin does not work for me. Last year I tried 3 different prescription sleep aids all with varying (and scary) degrees of side effects. I found Zquil (from the makers of Nyquil) about 4 or 5 months ago (it's OTC) and it has changed my life. I take the generic brand since it is so much cheaper, but I do believe it is the same active ingredient as in Benadryl, so that probably wouldn't be a change for you. Just thought I'd mention it in case anyone else is looking for something to try.

7. Peppermint

Peppermint One Little Bird

All 3 of us take Melatonin. They help me FALL asleep but not STAY asleep. The other night I slept for 6 hours straight and felt like crying, but usually I wake up all night long. It only really started in the last year, sometimes I feel as though I'm close to losing my mind over it.

Nicholas and Tom sleep like babies, though. Except that I sometimes wake Tom up with my restlessness. He's a man and falls right back asleep, though. But if he gets up to use the bathroom I'm up for a half hour. LOL

8. mrs2a50

mrs2a50 Pretty much the best.ever.

Can I give it to roxy? Because she's the reason I can't sleep!

9. 4noisyboys

4noisyboys Being a Grandma is the best!

I can't take it...even half a dose gives me nightmares. I can't take any of the OTC stuff with benedryl either. I can't wake up if I take it...I'm super groggy all day, again, even with half a dose.

I have take Ambien before, and I LOVE how well I sleep. What I don't like is feeling like I'm addicted and can't sleep without it.

Right now I'm not taking anything. I just go to bed late and hope I sleep! :)

10. MissKim

MissKim ichthyophobic

Maybe I don't want to try it, then. Maybe I'll just stick with Benadryl. And yes, same stuff as ZQuil. My doctor said it's fine to take it every night. I don't like feeling like I need to take something to get to sleep, either, but I hate not sleeping even more. I don't like being cranky.

11. Jenna

Jenna Jenna

Melatonin is a naturally occuring substance in your brain that tells you it's getting dark, time for bed. I'd suggest starting with 3mg to see if it works for you, I know from experience if you take too much it can cause vivid dream or nightmares. My 9yo takes 3mg a night to help him fall asleep. Only works if you are ready for bed, dark, calm. You can be running around and it will have no effect.

12. Ink and Pixels

Ink and Pixels Active Member

I have taken it - and bought 3mg and 5mg.. Usually I take one 5mg or 2-3mg. It does help but you should take it 30 mins or so before. I thought it was just me - I've had nightmares on occasion too!

I was up until after 2:00 am last night - lately I'm not falling asleep again.

You can give it to dogs! It's the reason I bought the 3mg pills for my sisters dog that gets separation anxiety!

13. MissKim

MissKim ichthyophobic

I teach 3-5 year olds with autism and a lot of them take 3 or 6 mg at night, so I thought surely adult dosage was more. I'm too afraid to try it on a day when I have to go to work the next day so I'll hold on to it until Friday, I think. Then I may give it a try.

14. Kimpson

Kimpson Kimpson

i've tried it in the past and it's helped a bit. i think i usually only took 5 mg. i don't remember having any crazy dreams, but then again, i didn't take it consistently for long, so maybe i just didn't notice. good luck!

15. nun69

nun69 Active Member

I think that is a good plan Kim....Melatonin didn't work for me, but I have been taking Advil PM lately (instead of my Ambien) and I have some really weird/bizzare dreams and I don't like them. I don't seem to sleep as good as I do on the Ambien and the last few days I have just been kinda BLAH :(