Mama's with children that have eczema

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by Micheline Martin, May 19, 2012.

1. Micheline Martin

Micheline Martin New Member

Mama's with children that have eczema

Mystaya has had a nasty rash on her leg for a tiny bit now and it's starting to spread. My sister saw it and said it's Eczema (she has it too) and recommended Aveno Cream (with oatmeal and Shea butter in it) to help with the itching/pain and the rash should go away.

Well I put it on and it's worked but now it came back with a vengeance. I made a doctor's appointment for her next week to get cortisone cream.
    My question is is there something I could do to prevent flair ups?
    I bathe her twice a week (more if she is dirty) so it won't dry up her skin
    I also use Tide Free (has NO perfume in it). The Eczema is behind both thighs now and I would do anything to prevent it from spreading any bigger then it already has kwim?

2. karen perry

karen perry LOCK THE DOOR!

my kids havent had it badly but when finlay was a baby he had it on his face badly and i tried everything in the end the health visitor said use just vasoline and it magically did the trick so give it a try and good luck

3. girlygirl

girlygirl Member

4. Karah

Karah Karah

My daughter has had it since she was an infant (she's 7 now). Eczema doesn't really spread (at least in my experience) - it's not like poison ivy or something in that regard. It kind of has its spots and just keeps recurring. My daughter has needed a prescription since she was about a year old but we don't use hydrocortizone ... we use something else and it's an ointment and you only need to use the tiniest bit and the eczema patches go away very quickly. I used cetaphil cream on my son who had a more minor case of it and that was good enough to keep it from getting bad. I just bought my daughter some aveno eczema lotion (not the regular aveno, but it's actually designed for eczema) and that seems to be helping just keep her skin moisturized. She also gets it on the back of her legs the worst. Good luck - I know it's not fun :(

5. Laura

Laura Member

we started using cetaphil for madelyn. that's really helped hers calm.

6. kelley

kelley Gets excited over little green things.

Carter has it and has for a long time. I also didn't bathe him often at first, thinking it would dry him up, but actually it makes it much better when you bathe them more often. I use cetaphil emollient cream on him. I bathe him every other day, but when he has a flare, he bathes a few times a day (just a soak). You should use lukewarm water. Then, as soon as they get out of the bath, towel them off and apply the emollient cream right away. Our dermo said it is crucial to get the cream on right away while the skin is still moist. His flares never last now that we do that. I was given a steroid cream, but I don't use it because the cetaphil has always worked wonderfully and I hate to use steroids if something else will work. Hope that helps a bit!

7. charmedeebob

charmedeebob Heather's Team

I used a prescription cortisone cream on my daughter, but until we got that I used hydrocortisone 1% ointment over the counter and it helped. I also used Aquaphor and Bag Balm. She preferred the Bag Balm, I think it was the most soothing. We discovered less than a year ago that she is sensitive to dairy! Both her and my youngest have an intolerance, and since we took her off about 99% of the dairy in our diet, her eczema is MUCH better. She had it so bad on the back of her legs it was a bleeding plaque, and she had it in both elbows and on her wrists and ankles. Now the back of her legs is very mild and the rest of her only flares the tiniest bit if she hasn't been careful with her diet. It has helped immensely!

8. estir_bune

estir_bune No, it's snot

My daughter gets it horribly - specially in the spring. Her flare ups usually happen on the backs of her legs, inside elbows, neck,between fingers, and the cleft of her bottom - this year its on her thighs as well. We have several creams that we use, Protopic and Triamcinolone plus Cerave cream. Her allergies set it off, and it's harder than h e double hockey sticks to keep her away from allergens in the spring.... she is allergic to a mold that manifests, in the dirt and grass, in the spring. She is also allergic to several foods.

9. Micheline Martin

Thank you so much for your pointers guys!!
    The wierd thing is she NEVER had it before ( she's almost 9) , it just appeared out of no where. She had one spot on one leg and within a month the other leg had a huge spot too. She has a doctor's appointment on Friday but the rash went away (it flares up then goes away all the time) You can still see where it is, it's just not big red and blistery. I'm going to put her in tights(nylons) the day before her appointment in hopes of a flair up so the doctor will prescribe her some cream (or at least tell us what to use on it) without the flair up I'm afraid he'll say it's nothing.

10. estir_bune

estir_bune No, it's snot

take pictures of it...

11. lmccandless

lmccandless The Force is strong with this one. Boss of the Applesauce

Lots of good advice here already! I wanted to second what Charmaine said about diet. My oldest DD struggled with eczema until she was diagnosed with Celiac. Once she went off gluten, the eczema is 99% better. The only time it flares up is when she eats too much sugar. Allergies can definitely play a role with eczema so it's worth looking into that aspect more.

12. Micheline Martin

I'm wondering if it's maybe a milk allergy? She has been downing the milk SOOOO much lately. (Like drinking close to 1L to herself a day) and since she is so picky food wise that I don't want to restrict her. I'll def. take some pictures of it. I noticed it's starting to flare up again but just on the top of the rash not everywhere (god knows why?)

13. charmedeebob

I agree Laura, I think diet intolerances play a much larger role in our health than we realize. I eat gluten free because it makes me feel better, though I'm not technically celiac; I have an autoimmune disease. Doctors just kind of go, "oh" and then I'm sure they roll their eyes behind my back, but I know how I feel, they can't "measure" that!
    Micheline, it very well could be a dairy intolerance or allergy! Try to limit dairy for a week at a time; like a week on, week off, and see if you notice any difference in her flares. If it makes a difference, I bet that its related. You could also have her allergy tested, but that costs money and well, it kinda hurts LOL. Dont' feel bad for not catching it earlier, we didn't catch it until she was almost 6 years old, and we only figured it out because my youngest started with some of the same symptoms she had as a baby and we didn't connect it (rash around his mouth, etc). Her eczema didn't develop until she was about 4 years old, but I'm hoping that keeping the baby off dairy will prevent him from getting it at all!

14. Micheline Martin

Hey Char, the doctor might order an allergy test to be done if that is what he thinks is going on, and where I live we have free healthcare so it wouldn't cost me anything :)

15. charmedeebob

I would totally do it then, I sometimes forget that healthcare isn't always expensive in other places LOL. Shameful for a Canadian living in the US, how quickly I forget!!!