LBP {life before Pinterest}

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by enjoyyourpix, May 18, 2016.

1. enjoyyourpix

enjoyyourpix My mama don't like you

Oh my word!! I decided to do a little decluttering and opened a file cabinet drawer. Look what I found:

2016-05-18 12.41.35.jpg
    In the kids' parties file folder, I actually cut and taped those ideas on a piece of paper. Sigh. Great ideas lost in folder. I think I'm safe to toss them. I have a 19 year old and almost 17 year old. I remember I used to have 2 shelves of a cabinet full of Martha Stewart magazines. I don't think I could throw them out until I had gone through them "one more time" to make sure there wasn't something I needed. Let's ignore the fact that I have about 24 inches of cooking light magazines in the cabinet under the kitchen island.

Tell us about your LBP {life before Pinterest}??

2. tkradtke

tkradtke Professional Brainstormer

I used to have files like this too! Mostly kid stuff cut out of Family Fun magazine. Now, not only do I NOT cut out articles and recipes, I don't even subscribe to any magazines anymore!

Oh... and I have at least a 24 inch high stack of Everyday Cooking magazines I can't seem to part with in my pantry.

~Mary, mrspotts and enjoyyourpix like this.
  3. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

:giggle I totally identify with you. Although I haven't found the time to use Pinterest. I have begun to use Evernote though!

Here's one example of my life before digital. Until some closet-cleaning of my own recently, I had about 5 years worth of Better Homes & Garden magazine from the 1990's. Yes, 20 year old magazines. I had subscribed just before we decided to buy our first house and I collected them because they have such great ideas for home decorating and fixing stuff. How much would you guess I referred to them? If you're thinking "never" you are correct! Yet it still took me a couple of weeks to dump them in the recycle bin after I weeded them out of my closet last month. :rolleyes:

~Mary and enjoyyourpix like this.
  4. Sara

Sara Riding in the Neil mobile

I had to giggle at your thread title. :giggle

And you are speaking my language. I was the same! I have binders of ideas from magazines for activities with the kids and crafts to try and recipes too! Ohhh the recipes. Cooking Light was my recipe hoarding source as well and I've stubbornly held on to them "just in case" haha!! And Creating Keepsakes and Simple Scrapbooks were my memory keeping sources once upon a time. I've kept too many of those too. I should probably cut the cord and let all of them go.

~Mary, enjoyyourpix and scrapsandsass like this.
  5. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

I have the same folders in my cabinet: I have a folder of house stuff even though I also have Pinterest. I love magazines, and IDK if I could ever give up my subscriptions. :)

Back from my jewelry-making days, I also have a 3-ring binder with ideas and sketches, divided by stye or technique, etc. I can't seem to get rid of the binder even though I haven't made anything in years.

6. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

I have adobe photoshop focus guide magazine/kinda like a soft cover book. I got them at a thrift store...not a full set :( but I still have a three ring binder that I put tutorials ( I printed them out....lol) cause I have to read it, do it, read again, and I have a hard time reading. As I am typing this, had a PINterest aha moment, that I could just PiN them?

~Mary, Tree City and enjoyyourpix like this.
  7. NancyP

NancyP All you need is a little bit of pixie dust

Yep! Totally agree! Need to weed out my filing cabinet but there is so much in there, I don't know where to start!!! Craft ideas-----decorating ideas-----recipes------health tips, I could go on and on.

8. jenevang

jenevang Rocking a two-piece under my scrubs

Oh, I was a total Magazine girl, too! And I looked at them about as often as I look at my Pinterest boards :giggle

This is so interesting, b/c I was just yesterday trying to clean out my Chrome bookmarks. I have MANY folders b/c I used the bookmark tab as my "Pinterest". I went through and pinned what I still wanted to keep and deleted much the rest. Very cool.

9. scrapsandsass

scrapsandsass Oh Ricky you're so fine ...

Ah yes, the file folders of clippings. I have many of those. I just threw some out, but I still have a ton of recipes to go through. I also have a bajillion magazines upstairs. I have the National Geographics for about 3+ years, and I can't bring myself to throw them away even though I think I bought a set of DVDs that has all of the Nat Geos since the beginning of time. I keep thinking I'm going to use them for word exercises, collage, or art journaling, or... :blush

10. Cath_

Cath_ In my polka dot dress and apron

oh i have clipping and full articles. I went as far as color coding them. I ain't ready to part with. Have what a 24-30 inch 2 drawer file cabinet 2 roles be drawer, with recipe magazine pages. another file cabinet with sewing (some real vintage)
    Homemaking and tips in another. Downstairs, oh if a compute computer magazine had a insteresting article, basic code program, tips, or if one of our products was advertized, i saved it.
    Have taste of home magazines back to first issue, food guides from the newspaper spanning alot of years, in gallon ziploc bags. Oh and snips from newspapers like cute clip art.
    just a speck of my collections

~Mary and Tree City like this.
  11. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

I LOVED Family Fun magazine!! That was my Pinterest back in the day. I made several of my kids' Halloween costumes with ideas from there.
    I still get Taste of Home's Quick Cooking magazine because I love their recipes, but I have ton I haven't had the time to look at yet.

jesskab, ~Mary and enjoyyourpix like this.
  12. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I have the physical ones too! It's probably time to clear them out.
    Here's my literal LBP:
    Last night I was cleaning out my virtual file cabinet on my hard drive. One of the folders was 'Scrapbook Inspiration'. Pages that I had found online, and downloaded the image to save so I could refer back to it.
    I uploaded the ones I still like to Pinterest and pinned them instead.

13. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

I so understand this. I have binders, in a basket, that are full of page protectors that are stuffed with torn out magazine pages. I just emptied 2 the other day. I purge whenever someone needs a binder. It's too overwhelming to do at once. One day that basket will be emptied!

14. enjoyyourpix

enjoyyourpix My mama don't like you

Okay ladies! I have an idea!! {pauses for a moment to let brain rest}

In the next week, find a recipe or a scrapbook layout or craft that you "saved for later" and make it! Post a picture here!!!

oh! And how 'bout a picture of where the idea came from. (I just remembered the lidded basket of Creative Memory magazines I have saved.)

bestcee, jesskab, ~Mary and 2 others like this.
  15. klee73010

klee73010 I might have a thing for drummers

I have some art ideas in a 3 ring binder... most of it is actually ideas I grabbed from the idea hooks at Michael's or Hobby Lobby, though some of them are also copies of pages from books I borrowed. I have a shelf or 3 of past memory makers and paperkuts magazines, some still in plastic packaging from not being opened. Dates range from March of 2004 through Dec 2006. Better homes and garden scrapping editions...

Recipe wise, i just grabbed entire cookbooks. I seriously have a bajillion. And never even think to read through them for tips, or even glance through them for meal planning. Lol but I also have 2 folders in there of printed out/copied recipes from my several attempts at family recipe books...

I have also tried using Evernote to an extent for both scrapping and recipe keeping. I have various lists and journaling, and meal plans and random things saved in Evernote.

16. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

Anne, I like to read (and reread) tutorials too. :) But I don't like clicking between links on my computer screen so having stuff written down/printed out works for me. You have two monitors set up, I think you've mentioned, so perhaps that's easier for you to do? I have a nice 22" monitor that I don't use... perhaps it's time to get it hooked up lol and go (more) digital.

17. QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom I'll never run out of things to do!

I have binders and boxes of folders filled with clippings, starting from when I was in Junior High and clipping things out of Seventeen magazine. The sad part is that I've gone through these things many times to get rid of those things I won't ever need, and in the process mistakenly tossing my binder full of saved recipes that I always used.

~Mary likes this.
  18. QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom I'll never run out of things to do!

I think my DH would kill me if I started another new project without first finishing one of the gadzillion other projects I've started over the years. I'm thinking about completing my Herbie the Love Bug model this summer. :-)

And I still have all of my CM magazines, too! And all of the page idea books, etc. I can't toss anything!

19. klee73010

klee73010 I might have a thing for drummers

I could stand to do this. Lol! Also, on occasion, be challenged to actuallyuse the inspiration I've Pinned, too! ;)

bestcee and enjoyyourpix like this.
  20. ~Mary

~Mary Clap along if you feel like happiness is the truth

Ha! I have Rubbermaid tote after Rubbermaid tote full of print-outs, recipes, magazine pages, stamp catalogs, quilt magazines, crochet magazines, scrapbook magazines, stamping magazines, woodworking magazines... I was pretty good about only saving the page(s) and not the whole magazines but I have so many. The sad thing is, I still do it! It's like I feel guilty putting a magazine into the recycling bin if I haven't saved something from it. My mom feels guilty, too, so she pays a freakin' fortune to mail me all of her old magazines, which I then rip pages from and recycle. It's awful. And I have a kazillion pins on Pinterest. And my Favorites on Edge which I can't figure out how to organize in this stupid new version. I love Pinterest, though. Just tonight I needed a recipe and went right to it where I had saved it there.

klee73010 and enjoyyourpix like this.