Kits never used

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by rdjrneace, May 12, 2020.

1. rdjrneace

rdjrneace Following the yellow brick road on foot

I am a hoarder of scrapbooking kits and I have realized I have bought kits that I have never used -- please tell me that I am not the only one to have done this?

I am in the process of tagging my kits so hopefully I can find easier and some of the kits I realize I have never used.

I need to stay away from the store and focus on my hoard(oh I mean stash).

Lisa B and Memaw2Wm like this.
  2. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

Hmm - yes... I don't use any tools to organize mine, but I have wished for a tracker that says I have used a kit. I have thrown the previews into a folder called Use First but then I forget to look in it... Best to just use them right away!

And yes, I have favorites that I return to over and over again.

Lisa B likes this.
  3. meganmecrazy

meganmecrazy Caution: Randomly Breaks Out into Show tunes

YES!!! I have so so so many kits that I haven't touched yet. I feel that if I have a better method of organizing them I will use them. @rdjrneace how are you going about tagging your kits? I may have to do the same lol

Lisa B and Joan K like this.
  4. sharonb

sharonb Cher Memere

Yes I want to know how to tag as well. I have tons I haven't used or used very little

5. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

In the same boat. I have no way of actually knowing what hasn't been used. I don't tag stuff so that wouldn't help me. I suppose when I'm bored some day I could go through my spreadsheet on supplies used and make another spreadsheet to coordinate with my Picasa database of kits.

I do have kits that I use over and over. I find it is the colors that draw me to the kits... and I've been avoiding kits with pink. I don't like the color and when it is a dominant color in the kit, I find that I don't even look to see what else is in there!

6. ArmyGrl

ArmyGrl Merlot, Cab, Chard, Reisling - all 4 food groups!

I have many, many kits too. And, if I use a kit, sometimes I can’t remember what I created with it. :blush This year I started to add a compressed .jpeg of my completed layout to the kit. That way I know I used the kit and what I created with it. I begin each of those file names with a “z-“, thus it gets placed at the very end (for easy finding). Also, I have a folder called “need to use.” If I use a kit even once, I move it out and into its forever home.

Overall, I label kits according to title and designer. And keep kits in designer folders by store.

I love to support our digital designers, so it doesn’t bother me one bit to have more kits than I can possibly use.

7. janedee

janedee Is a craft project ever really finished?

This is a fantastic idea Lisa! I'm definitely going to start doing this! There's been quite a few times when I've tried to find a layout I've made with a specific kit and its taken me ages to do it!

Lisa B likes this.
  8. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

Oh gosh, if I had used each purchased kit just once...I would be completely caught up on my scrapping LOL!

I have an Excel spreadsheet for kits and one for "extras" (individual paper/element/JC packs, masks/cut outs, etc). Perhaps I should add a "scrapped with" column to the spreadsheets so I could just add an X for the products I've used.

busywoman139 and Lisa B like this.
  9. A-M

A-M Not a lot of hustle in my hustle anymore

Yes, I have a huge stash from over the years and there definitely are kits that I have never used.

I do like @ArmyGrl Lisa's idea of storing a JPEG of the page created in the folder of that kit.

10. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

If you're asking strictly about KITS then I don't think I have any TLP kits I've never used.
    But I have a lot more products than kits. I have many paper and element packs without their matches (so not a complete kit), and freebies, and packs of stitching and ribbons and word art. So if you ask whether I have used every product in my TLP folder, then no.
    There are some kits and products I've re-used more times than others of course!

This is a great idea for a challenge. Make a layout only with products in your stash you haven't used before. :D It would really be a challenge for me since I don't have much money for purchasing new stuff.

11. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

I probably also have kits that I have never used. I have layouts in kits that I have completed for Ct work.
    My kits are filed by name with in designers folders, within stores. Once a kit has been retired i add an X- in front of it.
    I know that I should organise and remove stuff from my hard drive, but who has time for that when you could be scrapbooking and shopping?

Lisa B, wvsandy and Tree City like this.
  12. Angela Toucan

Angela Toucan I keep looking for THAT wardrobe

you are definitely not the only one. And not just scrapbooking kits. You should see my paper crafting, art, and sewing stash/mountains

13. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

What a great idea to add a copy of a layout into the folder to know what you've used it on! I think that would be especially helpful in my template folders, so I would know which of the templates inside a pack I've already used. :agree

keepscrappin and Tree City like this.
  14. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

If I added a copy of the layout in the folder with some of my kits, I would have more layouts than the number of items in the kit! There are some kits that I just use over and over. Great idea though!

jesskab likes this.
  15. ArmyGrl

ArmyGrl Merlot, Cab, Chard, Reisling - all 4 food groups!

Exactly! Time is precious...scrap more organize less...:D

Cherylndesigns likes this.
  16. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

I bet Cheryl @gonewiththewind knows what she's used! I'm going to be organized like Cheryl when I grow up! :lol

17. Memaw2Wm

Memaw2Wm Well-Known Member

I agree that this is a great idea. I buy way too many kits and templates, but I love them and I love supporting the various designers. I have quite the hoard/stash, lol!!!

18. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

I don't delete the downloads email and file the purchase email until after I’ve used each kit to help me make sure I’ve used it, especially for CT downloads.

I will say I’ve personally purchased cu items / styles and even classes that I haven’t completely finished or used yet. I’ve been watching some of those during quarantine.

19. rdjrneace

rdjrneace Following the yellow brick road on foot

I have been using ACDsee to try and organize. I am still trying to figure it out since I definitely need a better system. I found that I was not enjoying scrapping since I could never find a kit for a photo so I a working on tagging my kit previews and setting up folders for photos and putting a preview of the kit that I want to scrap those photos with. Another scrapbooker introduced me to this idea and I really like it except it does take time. Right now my desire to scrap is low so I am spending the time organizing.

Lisa B likes this.
  20. flowersgal

flowersgal I have big ears and wide arms

It's a big club you belong to. I'm a member. Have a stash going back for years. If the store didn't let me know, often I would buy the same kit twice and have actually done so in a couple of places. There is always something new calling my name to "go home with me". Add to cart is not my friend!!!

jesskab, Memaw2Wm and Lisa B like this.