Keeping on top of MOC

Discussion in 'Scrapping Pad' started by littlekiwi, Jan 6, 2021.

1. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

How do you all do it?

The first few days were fine as I could 100% focus on MOC but now real life has kicked in. I’m not able to spend all day scrapping. Normally I’d scrap in the afternoon before family get home (so roughly 4pm til 8pm because I’m doing job applications during the day) but dare I say it, it’s way too hot (like 30c/86F with god knows what % humidity). I’d scrap later on in the evening once family have gone to bed but that’s just a recipe for disaster as I’ll be up all night and get no sleep so I’m not sure what to do as the further behind I get the less likely I am to do all 31.

2. Pachimac

Pachimac Give me all the cliché Christmas movies

Put it on your calendar as an event just like work and real life.

Angela Toucan likes this.
  3. littlekiwi

That was the intention that I’d spend each evening before family get home scrapping but it’s too stinking hot to be doing that at the moment and if I wait til later then I’m awake all night and kill any sort of productivity for the next day. The ultimate ideal time is late afternoon for me and as soon as the super hot spell of a couple days is over going back to late afternoon computer time is the plan. In the mean time, I just get further behind which is what I was trying to avoid this MOC.

4. Amson

Amson Yoo-hoo!

Just do the challenges that interest you the most. You may find some of the challenges don't take a lot of time. Alternatively you could work to a timer. For example give yourself one hour and then post as is. I always find I scrap quicker for MOC as I do not allow myself to change direction or spend hours looking through all the wonderful supplies that I own for the perfect element or paper.

And I understand you about temperature. It is 29.6 here in my study now and has been so hot today. Heat and humidity are awful.

5. littlekiwi

@Amson I do want to do as many, if not all the challenges I can especially now while I don’t have any travel for job interviews. I kind of have an idea for one of the two that I need to catchup on but just the thought of being on my laptop in the heat even with a fan blowing directly on me just doesn’t appeal

6. Amson

Amson Yoo-hoo!

I really hope that the weather cools down for you over the next few days.

7. littlekiwi

it should do, only meant to be 23-24 instead of 29 the rest of the week but who knows what Mother Nature will actually deliver

8. LoveItScrapIt

LoveItScrapIt I'm a poet, and everyone knows it!

I do each day on that day if I can, if not, then I spend the weekend catching up.

9. littlekiwi

that was the plan, to only get a day behind at most. Weekends are hard for me generally as I tend to have deadlines either late Sunday night or early Monday morning so I spend the Sunday night I have alone doing my job applications for the most part - I have two this weekend to do. It doesn’t help that I have serious fatigue and sleep issues (which I’m working on very slowly) so I end up resting a lot which is what my body needs currently - it just means I might get 2 great days, 1-2 ok days and the rest are just write offs for doing much at all. I’m now 3 days behind since Day 6 has just been posted

10. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

Scrap a part of your page during the day. If you cannot finish it in an hour save it and go back to it. Jenifer you can do it. We have confidence in you!

keepscrappin likes this.
  11. littlekiwi

That might be the way I have to do it, do hour long scrappy sessions.....the days of “how ever long it takes” might be over. Good practice for when I’m working full time too. I’ll give it a go later in the morning.....it’s already morning here....I mean 1.13am!

cfile likes this.
  12. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

When I worked and did Moc I would get up an hour or so earlier and scrapped the page before I went to work or thought about what I wanted to do during the day and scrapped it after dinner. This morning I made my page when I got up.. :) you can do it!!

keepscrappin likes this.
  13. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

I agree with what others have shared: set a time, just like an appointment, and then set a time limit for that appointment. Even if you don't finish the page, you will have started it. You can always come back later with another appointment time/time limit to finish it off.

I know you can do it!

EHStudios, cfile and bestcee like this.
  14. fruitysuet

fruitysuet Well-Known Member

I can hardly get past the heat you are having to endure. I'm sat here with a vest, top, cardigan, scarf and snuggle blanket whilst I am working!

I am wondering if it may fit better with you to spend time little and often doing bits towards the page. So use breakfast to identify which page you want to focus on next and sit and mull over whether you have/need photos for it. Lunch time can be used to put together some journaling. A coffee break later in the day and you can choose a kit (I find it quicker to start with a kit as the base and then just fill in at the end with any missing elements from a standard windows search). Then it's just a matter of putting all of those things together.

I do find that I do gravitate to some familiar and favourite kits for MOC. I particularly look towards a couple of the collabs (having in the past determined which parts are in store and not in store - I already have indicated in the folder names if they are in store or not). Of Wishes, Hopes and Dreams is a particular fave.

I admire your commitment to the job hunting - it sounds stressful and time consuming. I have a full time job, so I understand the time constraints, although now I am working from home it has freed up the time I would normally spend commuting. ETA I have three days booked as holiday throughout the month which I will use at catch up days. Perhaps you could afford yourself a couple of days to use in a similar way.

I do hope that you find a way that works for you.

keepscrappin likes this.
  15. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

because I am working behind the scenes, I do most of the pages in about 20 days. But one of my tricks is to print out the instructions, and I sketch on paper some ideas. Then when I sit down to actually scrap it goes much faster. I have a lot of waiting time (kids at appointments and such), so I pull out my bullet journal and sketch away ideas. I do this for the monthly challenges too. It is good to not be in front of the computer creating in my opinion! ♥
    that heat, eek, we are on the other hemisphere, and I am bundled up and it is not really cold, but to my desert loving heat body it is! lol

keepscrappin likes this.
  16. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

For me, the sooner I do something in the day, the better, because I'm a morning person, with most energy at the beginning of the day. As for scrapping specifically, maybe I'm speedy. I generally spend only an hour or a little longer on a layout. So even on the days I'm working I'm managing to make a layout in the evening. My husband has been making dinner on the days I work since I began this new job in October, so that helps too. And with regard to MOC, I think I focus on the part of the page that is the challenge and don't spend much time on the rest. Like for today's challenge, I spent the most time making my torn title. Gathering the photos was pretty easy because I caption my photos so they come up in a search in my files; I just searched for "siblings" and it resulted in a few hundred photos to choose from. Then I just tossed a couple elements on the page and called it done.

bestcee likes this.
  17. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

This is a big thing for me! I can't scrap first thing in the morning because it's my high energy time and I would rather be cleaning the house, etc. But in the afternoon, evening, my energy wanes, and it's the time I feel more creative. So that's the perfect time for me to scrap.
    Despite having access to the challenges ahead of time, I wait to complete them during the month. So, I find setting aside an hour a day is good. I do have some that take longer, like the photoless Day 3 - that one took me a long time gathering elements and words. So, I left it open, and would take 15 minute breaks from other things to work on it. In the end, it took longer than I intended, but on Day 4, I saw that it wouldn't take me super long because I had an idea right away. So, I was able to use up some of my hour to finish Day 3, while doing Day 4. If I couldn't, then I would have left Day 3 for later, and moved on to day 4.

18. Carla

Carla Well-Known Member

I can relate to the heat. After Hurricane Katrina, We sat in 95 degree F without electricity for 10 days...so no luxury of even having a fan just to blow air around. I cannot imagine trying to scrap in that kind of heat. I hope it gets cooler for you soon.

I do my scrapping early in the morning...like 5 am if the challenge is posted...then I sit on it for a few hours to make sure it is what I want to post.

bestcee likes this.
  19. littlekiwi

@fruitysuet my job hunt is only super time consuming at the moment due to the sheer amount of listings after the Christmas & New Year break.....there isn’t normally 300 in 2 days to go through.

20. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

I am behind and I know now that school has started I will get a bit more behind. I am working on simpler pages than I usually do and using tons of templates. There are two set of simple templates coming this coming release that might make everyone's life easier.