JUNE - ART JOURNAL challenge

Discussion in 'Art Journaling' started by Dalis, Jun 1, 2016.

1. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

This month is a little bit different. I think as art journalers we tend to manipulate and change a lot our supplies (including digital). If you currently don't alter your supplies then you are up for a treat. This month we are going to explore different ways (styles, actions, patterns, templates and others) to modify our digital supplies.

You know that I do my best to try to get you some sales for the challenges, but you could use some of your stash.... I am specially in love with some items in this week's SOSN.

Check out on how to install styles in here. Mind you ladies in newer versions of PSE you only need to go LOAD them. For CS you only need to double click the files.

" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen>

[​IMG]
    Grunge Collection {Alpha #1} by Paula Kesselring

[​IMG]
    Grunge Collection {Overlays #1} by Paula Kesselring

[​IMG]
    Storyteller 2016 :: Stamps N* Style - June Add-on by Just Jaimee

[​IMG]
    Big Rips torn paper templates

by Lynn Grieveson

[​IMG]
    Ripped and Stitched No.01

by Lynn Grieveson

[​IMG]
    CU - Sand Blast Actions by Mommyish

[​IMG]
    CU - Stylin' #163 - Water by Mommyish
    [​IMG]
    June BYOC 2015 - Textured Gesso Papers
    by Just Jaimee
    [​IMG]
    CU Design Brushes 4
    by Kristin Aagard

CHALLENGE: Use at least an overlay, action or style in your page. Something more than a shadow style. ;)

[​IMG]

Here are the videos on how to create all these subtle effects in this page. Make sure you click the HD (High Definition) button and the maximize button so you can see all the details I talk through out the videos.

-------------
    In this page I ended up using the sand blast on a brush and the June Story teller style on the "S" to add more interest. A few brushes here and there.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 21, 2016
  2. Dalis

You ladies are so quiet around here! Tell me what is your favorite style or action.

3. NancyP

NancyP All you need is a little bit of pixie dust

I am not a user of styles or actions because I honestly don't know how to use them. Well, except for the ones that came with PSE 11 (the styles). I have no idea how to load a style or an action into PSE and if I did get it uploaded then would have no idea how to use it. (sigh)

catschwartz and Li Li Wee like this.
  4. carilyne

carilyne It's only impossible if you think it is

I'm on Paintshop so styles and actions are beyond me. But I've been learning. I can blend though.

Cute picture Dalis!

Li Li Wee likes this.
  5. Dalis

Nancy, they are pretty easy to install and running them is just a click away. Most of the designers add a file or video on how to install styles or action for both CS and PSE.

6. mcurtt

mcurtt give me all the paleo brownies

I don't use actions, can never seem to get them to work. I have used Paula's burnt effect style that I like quite well. But I seem to use glitter styles more often than I would ever think I would. I guess I like bling. :hehe

paula kesselring, Dalis and Li Li Wee like this.
  7. Nemla

Nemla Stretching my skill set

On Craft Artist there is a styles tap, and I do use it ,but often it distorts the element to much. There is something called Fx though, it is more about embossing and shadows ,I use that a lot. Paint brushes too. And the transparency mode.
    In elements or Photoshop I tend to use them as they are, but to me they also distorts to much at times, so depending on the page. Opacity and preset paint effects are my friend. @NancyP when you download a style, unzip it,then click on it /or double click -depending how your computer is set. It will load a automatically into elements . It will show up as the last item on your styles tap. Or if it is brushes on your brush tap. Only do this once. . To use it put an element on your page click on the style and add and see what happens,go on I dare you LoL.

8. NancyP

Thanks, Vivi! You are a sweetie!

9. Dalis

Let me get a few videos (and or instructions) and post them here so you ladies can follow the process.

10. Lindzee

Lindzee Aging gracefully

Dalis - That is a very cute picture of you.

As you know, I do a lot of blending and playing around with transparency. I think my favorite action is one from Valorie Wibbens which turns anything into a sicker.
    https://the-lilypad.com/store/Make-A-Sticker.html
    For styles, I tend to use a lot of Just Jaimee, these are great, but I find you have to play around and try different stuff to get a specific effect.
    I use undo a lot too.. LOL.

11. Dalis

Have you ever tried changing the styles settings in the FX box.

12. Lindzee

Lindzee Aging gracefully

not too much - but its a great idea... hummm

13. mcurtt

Most definitely. :-)

14. KAPOH

KAPOH Well-Known Member

Am I missing something? Is there a June Art Journal challenge?

15. wvsandy

wvsandy Grinning Granny

Here I used a shadow style as well as a glitter and watercolor styles on elements from the M3.
    [​IMG]

paula kesselring likes this.
  16. carilyne

carilyne It's only impossible if you think it is

I don't think there is an official one, just saying we're going to play with styles, etc.
    @wvsandy that turned out really well. I love it.

wvsandy likes this.
  17. NancyP

Well for the past 2-3 hours I have been sitting here reading everything I can on actions for PSE 11. I went to You Tube, googled it, Pinterest, etc etc etc. and I am no further along than I was 2 hours ago!! I found a free action, downloaded it FIVE times because every time I downloaded it, I couldn't find it!! Finally put it in "My Documents" so I could find it. Uploaded it to PSE 11 and now I can't open the folder! GAAAHHHH!!!! So I played with an action that came with PSE 11 that turns a photo into Sepia. Well, my question is, what's the difference between that and my "Effects" button, where I can do the same thing???? I can also make a Sepia photo in Filters. So why do I need Actions??? Ohhhhl, I am so confused!!!!!

paula kesselring likes this.
  18. Dalis

@NancyP , Others,
    I unfortunately dislocated my jaw on a freak gym accident. I am in A LOT of pain at the moment, talking hurts, so I couldn't finish the videos. I will try to link you all to videos from some of our own designers on how to install the styles and actions.

19. wvsandy

wvsandy Grinning Granny

@Dalis Go to bed! Take care of yourself and the rest of us will look for answers for @NancyP .

Nancy, Style files end in .asl and action files end in .atn You don't have to use styles and actions but it adds enhancements beyond what PSE can do. In CC, I just pull the file and drop it on the open PhotoShop and it loads. I'll need to look to be sure about PSE 11. I'll post something in the morning.

20. mcurtt

@Dalis OMG!!! You poor thing. You sliced your finger not that long ago, and now this. Please take care! Hugsl