**WINNER ANNOUNCED** June 2022 - Week 4 Monthly Muse Challenge

Discussion in 'Art Journaling' started by wombat146, Jun 26, 2022.

1. wombat146

wombat146 Check out my kilt! And my turret!

Congratulations to our
    JUNE MUSE CHALLENGE WINNER:

**cinderella**
    :byay:circles:cheer:clap:clappy:dance:fairydance
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

Hi there everyone, can you believe it??? the last week of June, OMG!! where in the heck did it go!!!! :cornfused

This week it is all about TEXTURES to finish off this month and I wanted to showcase two art journaling artists that really inspire in this area, but in different ways.

Jessica of Jesson Art, uses collage and a host of mixed media mediums on her pages but I especially love how she adds texture to her art by using stencils. She will then paint or spray inks over the top of the stencil and let it drip down through so the pattern can be seen. Jessica uses texture/modelling paste on her stencils which is bit more thicker than gesso or paint so you end up with lovely raised texture. Take a look at some of her work in the inspiraton boards below and also check out her Youtube channel to see how she creates them. I especially like these process vids as she doesn't talk over it but does pop up text as to what she is doing and also gives a list of supplies used in her descriptions.

Jesson Art - Jessica
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/JessonArt/videos
    JESSON-ART-WEB-1.jpg
    JESSON-ART-WEB-2.jpg

Froyle Davies (FroyleArt) is another artist I admire in creating some beautiful textures in her work. Froyle uses a lot of tissue paper for this, painting or stamping on it before hand and then adding it to her journal pages or canvases. Her colours are bold, nothing soft and pastel with this lady! :) and her designs are just stunning.

Froyle is very much about creating your own papers to collage with and I also love some of the colour combo's that she uses in her art. I have provided Froyle's Youtube link as well but be warned, she is a fabulous 'out there' type of person and LOUD!!! lol! I sometimes have to be in the mood to actually listen to her but when I do I always end up giggling with her! lol!

FroyleArt
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/FroyleArt

FROYLE-ART-WEB-1.jpg
    FROYLE-ART-WEB-2.jpg
    Challenge this week: Use the boards above to get some inspiration for your page, this week its all about TEXTURE so I would love see some on your page and of course, anything else you want to throw on it!! :)

Here is my page: I used Froyle's last piece of artwork for my inspiration, especially the model's face. My page features my eldest granddaughter and I used the Threshold tool to give it a bold and contrasty look to it.
    12X12-GRACE---LIVE-YOUR-DREAM.jpg
    Credits are in the gallery.

You may create any style of layout (ie. clean and simple, artsy, pocket style etc.) you wish, with or without a photo. Create any size page you wish. This is for everyone, so have fun and see where the inspiration takes you. But I DO want to see some texture in your page! :)

Please post your layout to the Art Journaling Gallery HERE prior to Midnight EST July 3, 2022 and then post it in this thread by copying the code (at the right of your gallery image) from the box under "Share BB Code".

We will draw a winner at the beginning of next month for a coupon!! Every layout you create is equal to one entry in the random draw. So if you create 1 layout you are entered once, if you create 4 layouts you are entered 4 times. :)

You can use any products in The Lilypad store or retired products from current Lilypad designers, (just make sure you follow our gallery guidelines).

Looking forward to seeing what you creative peeps do this week!!

Last edited: Jul 5, 2022
    CharlotteM and AJK like this.
  2. Smwhite

Smwhite Well-Known Member

Both are amazing artists with definitive styles! Thanks for the inspiration this week!

wombat146 likes this.
  3. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

What wonderful, creative inspiration, Ona! I LOVE your inspiration page, too! I can't wait to delve into this.

wombat146 likes this.
  4. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

Thanks for your inspiration and the amazing artists, Ona. Here's my page.

[​IMG]

wombat146 likes this.
  5. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

I have no rhyme or reason for this page, it just is, LOL!
    [​IMG]

wombat146 likes this.
  6. caapmun

caapmun Well-Known Member

7. wombat146

Great pages everyone!! :fairydance

8. tanteva

tanteva Even the professionals are bewildered

Well ... texture ... not something I feel comfortable with. I never get those gesso things look real. Can't say I really took inspiration from any of the images. Meant to do something like the one with the door, cuz I absolutely love that one. But .... when I open PSE ... things just start to happen by themselves, and I ended up with something totally different LOL

[​IMG]

PLEASE - tell me - how do I use the gesso? Blendmode? Opacity? or anything else that makes it look real?

9. wombat146

Eva, what a great page!! and you got some texture happening in it!! yay!!

As to gesso, I use normally use two techniques, one is applying a very thin drop shadow or applying a High Pass Filter. This is a comparison using two different types of gessos (Rachel's is actually an Impasto (paint which is thick like gesso)).
    gesso-sharpening-800.jpg

Hopefully you will be able to see the difference between them, the left is one is untouched the right side ones are after the drop shadow (top one) and High Pass Filter (bottom one) has been applied. Let me know if you know how to create the High Pass Filter, happy to explain further if you need me to. :)

And sometimes, I will use both of those methods! :) Just depends on how much texture I want to add. :)

10. tanteva

tanteva Even the professionals are bewildered

Thanks Ona! @wombat146 The high pass looks like what I was wanting. Will try it. Ooops - now I have to make another art journal page! LOL

wombat146 likes this.
  11. Janisn

Janisn Well-Known Member

I was inspired by Froyle's doorway layout, but I went pastel. Used 7 papers from NBK's artCrush 52 blended to get background and overlayed lace for texture.
    [​IMG]

wombat146 and tanteva like this.
  12. Pachimac

Pachimac Give me all the cliché Christmas movies

OMG, Jesson Art is so amazing!!!! I have to keep reminding myself that I'm new at this and she's very experienced!

Dalis and wombat146 like this.
  13. cinderella

cinderella I was alone once...best.day.ever.

What a great month! Thank you for all the prompts and for introducing so many amazing artists.
    For my page I was mostly inspired by the fourth and last image of Jesson Art.
    [​IMG]

wombat146 likes this.
  14. Pachimac

Screen Shot 2022-06-29 at 11.51.22 AM.png
    Here is my page! I was inspired by Jessica's butterfly page, on her instagram. I can't seem to get the link so I screen cap'd it.

[​IMG]

Screen Shot 2022-06-29 at 11.51.22 AM.png

AJK and wombat146 like this.
  15. wombat146

It's amazing, isn't it!? When I first started out I just sat and watched her and then took notes on everything she did, virtually compiled a little step by step process for myself to use. Really learned a lot from Jessica's art!

16. Angela Toucan

Angela Toucan I keep looking for THAT wardrobe

thank you for the inspiration. I've added playing with Gesso to my techniques today.
    [​IMG]

wombat146 likes this.
  17. Pachimac

i think I need help with the high pass filter. When I did it, it just turned my entire gesso blob grey.

18. wombat146

LOL! The Blob!! makes me think of that movie from years and years ago! :lmao Okay........ when you are applying the High Pass, keep an eye on your little viewer screen (you might have use the - (minus) button to make your gesso pic smaller and then drag it into that little viewer.... once you get the image in the viewer you can increase the size again). As you move your slider to the right you will increase the sharpness strength BUT, if you start getting colours in there amongst the grey then stop and go back a little bit........... just a question, are you duplicating your gesso layer first? and applying the High Pass to that top duplicate layer? because you then need to change the blend mode on that layer to Linear Light (make sure to link the two layers together so they don't separate when you want to move it around your layout but don't use Ctrl+E to merge the two together as you will get some unwanted grey toning around it). Hope that helps, let me know if that doesn't work Susie! :)

19. wombat146

A big thank you to everyone that joined me for the June Monthly Muse Challenge, I had so much fun looking at all of the FABULOUS layouts that you ladies all created!!! Super Awesome work!!!!

Winner for June has been announced in the first post!!! :fairydance

cinderella likes this.
  20. cinderella

cinderella I was alone once...best.day.ever.

Thank you so much, Ona @wombat146! I really enjoyed June's challenges! Looking forward to the new ones!

wombat146 likes this.