January Book Club: All the Light We Cannot See

Discussion in 'Reading Pad' started by crystalbella77, Dec 30, 2015.

1. sm_amber

sm_amber I learn from the best..

Wasn't it the ... the neighbor, clock maker, maybe? That tipped off the diamond hunter about where to look? Or was he just the one who turned her dad in and that's it?.. I don't remember either way, but I really don't remember about him meeting up with ML's dad in prison.

2. sm_amber

I think aside from the obvious tragedy of Frederick's story, I was particularly touched by this one because I felt myself relating to Werner in their friendship. I've always felt for the underdog in situations, but (unfortunately) not stood up for them as frequently or as fiercely as I should. I could totally relate to Werner's guilt in these circumstances.

Karen likes this.
  3. crystalbella77

crystalbella77 Capture life and embrace it

I think that is part of this book that is hard reading. I think a lot [most?] would and do have a hard time sticking up for people even though that is what we want to do and convince ourselves that we would do. I actually found myself hoping he would and then praying he wouldn't while reading. If he had, he would have been tortured the same, but you also would like to think that some people do stand up to ugly evils even when it is that hard. It was a very compelling part of the story I think because it made you feel so torn and then just as guilty as he felt..wondering what you would do and partially hoping he remained safe. At least for me, that is how I felt and felt torn a bit. It was so so sad. I loved the moment where he seemed to notice the bird at his very end. Like he was himself once again. It was a very tragic part of the book...poor Frederick.

I was also drawn to Volkheimer. He seemed to be kind to Werner, but someone who could just kill or beat upon command. He had to have had so much pain thinking of the suffering he caused and had to live with. It is so crazy to me to think of a person like that..just killing point blank...and then moving to a tv repair man later in life (was that what it was?). I just couldn't imagine...He was very complex to me and confusing.

sm_amber likes this.
  4. DixieDoesPSP

DixieDoesPSP Well-Known Member

With Volkheimer I felt like because of his massive size he had been used most of his life. He seemed protective over Werner especially. I got the feeling he was a very complex character that we didnt really get to see the complexities of. You could almost write another book from his view point .

crystalbella77 likes this.
  5. sm_amber

Oohh.. that would be interesting.. and I agree about his size causing him to be taken advantage of..

6. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

I finished today! Now I can go back and read all the comments. LOL

7. gonewiththewind

Werner's death was detailed. He left the hospital tent and a guard was yelling for him to stop. He didn't stop, and walked onto a land mine. But I agree with you @Karen that it felt like we should have been there for more moments, to hear his last words, or something MORE than him leaving behind a knapsack, a childhood journal, and a model house. Then again, that's what happened. So many people, include Marie-Laure, didn't have ANY closure. So I suppose in the same way, as readers, we were subjected to that same kind of loss. I feel the unfinished, open, scariness of it all, too.

I disagree. Werner felt that Jutta was safe being away from the war, from the front line. He often day dreamed about where she was and what she was doing. The point of having that particular scene, in addition to showing how she struggled to find work, shelter, food, was that NO ONE was safe.

I'll be back to answer questions and comment on some other posts later.

bellbird and Karen like this.
  8. crystalbella77

I guess I never got that feeling. I felt like he always wondered about her and wished he had done things differently and things, but I never felt like he envisioned her life being good. It was already hard before he joined the war, so I think he knew it was hard for her after. I felt like he just missed her.

We all have different perceptions of people though and that's why book discussions are fun :)

9. gonewiththewind

Bah ~ I was in a hurry to finish up my post, and I came off sounding pompous. Not meant that way. I should have said, that **I thought** that the point of having that particular scene, in addition to showing how she struggled to find work, shelter, food, was that NO ONE was safe. NOT that it was definitively the point. LOL Sorry! I'll be more conscientious about my commenting and not be in a rush!

Karen likes this.
  10. crystalbella77

omgosh..you would never sound that way lol! I hope I didn't make you feel like you did?! I have known you for years now and that would never come across from you haha! Hope I didn't make you feel bad!!!

11. gonewiththewind

YOU didn't make me feel that way! I read the post and it sounded that way to me! LOL I was like, dude, Cheryl, dial it back a bit.

Karen and crystalbella77 like this.
  12. Jeanet

Jeanet CT - Lynne-Marie

I loved Frederick as well and that comment about his life not being his own broke my heart much more than any other detail in the book.
    I always imagined Werners memories of Jutta at the home as a way of telling himself that she at least was ok. Funny how we've read that differently :) But I guess that's the magic of books

13. QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom I'll never run out of things to do!

My husband gave me this and told me I must read it. Of course, it still sitting on my nightstand, unopened. Maybe this will get me to open it up and actually read it.

14. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

So I went back and read this chapter about Werner walking out of the tent. I must have been falling asleep right then because I remember him trying to eat and I remember him walking out of the tent, but I don't remember him stepping on a landmine. HOW did I miss that? Lol! That totally makes me feel better about my biggest gripe about this book. I thought they left his ending hanging in the air. Geez! :giggle Still makes me sad though. I too was holding out hope that they'd meet up again after the war.

bellbird likes this.
  15. gonewiththewind

I read it that way as well . . . that he imagined what life was like for her. But then the scene with the Russians and Jutta and the other ladies . . . I didn't feel that the scene was out of place because it showed that no one was safe . . . even though Werner was imagining what her life was like, it wasn't like that, for her or for anyone else. There was no safe place in WWII.

16. NancyP

NancyP All you need is a little bit of pixie dust

OK, I am not much of a reader but you have peaked my interest in this book! Especially since my late husband served in the German army in WWII. And I always like to add----NOT of his own choosing!! I watched The Book Thief last night and I was a basket case afterwards!! I guess because (if you have seen it) the little blond boy, Rudy, was the same age as my husband in 1938. So hubby was only 16 when they sent him to the war front in 1944.

enjoyyourpix likes this.
  17. crystalbella77

Oh wow Nancy! That is so crazy and I bet it gives you such a different perspective. I bet it makes it hard to read and hear things though. Such a sad time. I'd love to know what you think if you give this a go!

18. NancyP

NancyP All you need is a little bit of pixie dust

He came to America in '56 and rarely spoke about the war. He lived in Berlin. He could not go see Holocaust, and walked out about half way through Schindler's List. Am checking the library tomorrow for this book.

19. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

I'm impressed he even considered going to that movie. I haven't even been involved, wasn't even alive until decades after the war, but it bothers me too much to go see a movie about it. I won't go into the Holocaust Museum either. I think I'd just cry my way through it.

20. crystalbella77

This is me too. I was so nervous about this book and I did cry multiple times. :( I haven't even ever watched Schindler's List and most war movies because I do not handle it well. It's so awful to me. :(

michelepixels likes this.