JANUARY 5: Photo Treatment

Discussion in 'MOC Challenges' started by jenn mccabe, Jan 5, 2015.

1. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

Day 5 | Photo Treatment Challenge

Hello Lilypad MOC scrappers!!!

For today’s challenge, I want you to create a page using a photo treatment. Since photo treatments can be such a personal thing, I don’t want to dictate which type of treatment you need to use on your photo. It can be anything you wish … a black & white conversion, sepia tone, an action, or you could even use a mobile app on your smart phone to add a fun treatment to your photo.

I also realize there are lots of us scrapping with programs other than PS or PSE, so following a tutorial can be difficult for some of you. But ... I do hope to challenge you to try something you haven’t done before. Try not to pick the same old action or technique you use on your photos all the time. Stretch your creative wings a bit!

For my page, I decided to get a little crazy with some features in Photoshop that I rarely use: the Filter Gallery, to help me create a Pop Art Halftone Photo Effect. If you have PS and PSE, you are welcome to follow along and try this technique on your page if you wish.

Here's the photo that I am starting with.

[​IMG]

This photo is my background layer. I am going to duplicate it 2x, so that I have three layers total. Select the middle layer in your layers palette. Then go to Filter (up in the menu bar) and select Filter Gallery and a window will pop up like in the image below.

[​IMG]
    Click the image to view larger (this will take you to Photobucket where you can click the zoom button to see a bigger image).

Under the Artistic folder, select Cutout (Poster Edges is another similar option if you are not thrilled with the Cutout effect). I played with the settings a bit (this will depend on your image) and settled on 8,4, and 2. Select OK to accept this filter. TIP: You may need to reduce the size of the zoom in the bottom right of the this window, to be able to see your full image, as I believe it defaults to 100%.

Select the top layer in your layers palette. Go up to Filter (up in the menu bar) and select Filter Gallery. Be sure to select Filter Gallery ... (with the three dots) and not the very top Filter Gallery (which will simply apply another instance of the last Filter you used).

[​IMG]

Under the Sketch folder, select Halftone Pattern. I used 7,9 and Dot for the Pattern Type under the settings (again, this will depend on your image). Select OK to accept this filter.

[​IMG]
    Click the image to view larger (this will take you to Photobucket where you can click the zoom button to see a bigger image).

If you are happy with your image, you can merge your layers and use your new Pop Art Halftone image on your page. I wanted to tweak my image just a bit, so the color would show through, using the blending modes in the layers palette.

HeatherGW's Day 2 Challenge was all about changing blending modes, so if you're not sure how to do this, her challenge can help! :)

I left the bottom layer alone.
    For the middle layer (with the color Cutout effect) I changed the blend mode to Overlay and its opacity was left at 100%.
    For the top layer (with the black and white Halftone Pattern effect) I change the blend mode to Screen and its opacity to 80%.

Here is my final image (cropped).

[​IMG]

Here is my page with my fun new photo treatment!

[​IMG]

What you need to know: Your page must be a new page in order to count for the Month of Challenges. Please post your page in your page thread you created in this folder. You should have one post per completed challenge page. If you complete all 31 challenges, your thread should contain 31 posts. Please do not comment in the participants’ page threads so we can keep them clean. You should also post your page here in this thread, and people can comment here if they wish. Pages should contain at least 75% current Lilypad product (currently for sale in the store from either permanent designers or guest designers).

I am SO looking forward to seeing your photo treatment pages fill up the gallery!

Last edited: Jan 7, 2015
  2. mimisgirl

mimisgirl It's all about ME!

Awesome Jenn! LOVE how you page turned out! And I LOVE photo treatment, but I do tend to gravitate towards certain ones - so here is to stretching myself! THANKS!

3. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

oh i haven't used half-tone in ages - will be back with one! thanks jenn

4. Ellie

Ellie Little Bunny Cupcake

Awesome! Can't wait to try!

5. Lindzee

Lindzee Aging gracefully

Thanks for the tutorial. It's a great idea to try.

6. TwoTinyTurtles

TwoTinyTurtles CT - Just Jaimee

Used Halftone! Love this effect! :)

[​IMG]

7. Jeanet

Jeanet CT - Lynne-Marie

Well you can't make it a photo treatment challenge, ask us to do something we don't normally do and not expect me to go crazy :D
    [​IMG]
    I used the stamp filter

8. jenn mccabe

you girls are speed demons! love your layouts and love the stamp effect Jeanet! :heartslub

9. lorryfach

lorryfach Likes to be chauffeured

10. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

this was way quicker for me than the last challenge- halftone always makes me think comics -any idea how would i get the skin to look less grey?
    [​IMG]

11. buzinettescrap

buzinettescrap I'm just a geek with dizzy feet!

oh yes !! I love to made photo treatment !!! I can't wait to test a new technique

12. Nana77

Nana77 Active Member

Awesome!! Here is mine :).. I used Hipstamatic + Camera+ apps..

[​IMG]

13. MlleTerraMoka

MlleTerraMoka Well-Known Member

I try a new photo treatment : pop art style.

[​IMG]

14. jenn mccabe

justine, did you play with your blend modes? try Screen and lower that opacity for the top layer (halftone effect). those black/grey skin tone area dots should take on the colors of the layer underneath it as you reduce the opacity of that top layer. you also might try leaving the middle layer alone and not changing its blend mode at all.

15. wendy85

wendy85 Guest

woww awesome pages already!
    here is mine

[​IMG]

16. Pallavi01

Pallavi01 You have that sharp, useless look about you

This is a fun challenge . I generally use actions but going to try it this way for today's layout :)

17. mollyc

mollyc PrettyPinkPicturesPlease

[​IMG]

I used a preset from VSCO Film.

18. Meibritt

Meibritt CT - Kate Hadfield

Love this challenge. Great tutorial, thanks Jenn

[​IMG]

19. scribler

scribler Blanket? Check! Slippers? Check! Sweater? Che

This was the hardest one for me yet. Had a hard time getting a photo treatment I liked. I used the halftone tutorial on this one. You can see it better if you look at the print size image in Photoshop than you can at 600x600.

[​IMG]

20. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

What a great morning...loved playing, thank you!
    [​IMG]