JANUARY 2: Blending Mode Technique Challenge

Discussion in 'MOC Challenges' started by heathergw, Jan 2, 2015.

1. heathergw

heathergw Singing in the Neil mobile

Happy Froggy BYOC Friday! Have you seen the new BYOC releases? It's so perfect for our next challenge for MOC3 with all the black/gray/white in the color scheme.

The second challenge this month is a blending mode technique -
    I will post a little tutorial and the challenge for you is to change the blending mode on 3 different layers/embellishments/journaling/papers/etc. on your page, whether you're blending papers or journal cards or elements, it needs to be three distinct examples of blending on your page.​

TUTORIAL:

Step 1: Open a paper
    [​IMG]

Step 2: Open a second paper
    [​IMG]

Step 3: Look at the upper left hand corner of the layers palette (in the lower right hand corner of Photoshop (same for Elements) and see the drop down menu for changing the blending mode
    [​IMG]

Step 4: Scroll through the drop down menu and check them all out. Have fun playing with all the different modes until you find the one you like
    (click to see larger image)
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Here's a few before and afters when changing the blend mode of elements and word art, as you can see, it's not just for blending papers:
    (click to see larger images)
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I don't want to be specific about what 3 parts of your page you're required to blend. I want you to create a layout that you will love and cherish and is "YOU". Have FUN, this is my most favorite tool in Photoshop!!! Once I learned this cool tool, I never scrapped the same way again and became an addict of blending.

What you need to know: Your page must be a new page in order to count for the Month of Challenges. Please post your page in your page thread you created in this folder. You should have one post per completed challenge page. If you complete all 31 challenges, your thread should contain 31 posts. Please do not comment in the participants’ page threads so we can keep them clean. You should also post your page here in this thread, and people can comment here if they wish. Pages should contain at least 75% current Lilypad product (currently for sale in the store from either permanent designers or guest designers).

Here's my finished page. I actually changed the blending mode on everything but the bottom paper, so much fun!
    [​IMG]

I'm so excited and can't wait to see your pages!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2015
  2. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

woot excited for this - thanks for the screen grabs and for being 'non-specific' about our choice of product blended

3. scrapsandsass

scrapsandsass Oh Ricky you're so fine ...

Here is mine. Everything is blended (four layers blended) but the background.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 2, 2015
  4. Cath_

Cath_ In my polka dot dress and apron

5. ArisaMinamoto

ArisaMinamoto Crazy for Coffee

I blendet: all Papers, Doodles/ Scribble Accents, Painting

[​IMG]

6. lindseylou

lindseylou Active Member

Here's mine. I used blending for the background, the flower, and the camera. I'm noticing now that the camera is a little harder to see, but it's a polka dot pattern blended onto it.

[​IMG]

7. carrie1977

carrie1977 Tequila and Taco Tuesday

8. Jeanet

Jeanet CT - Lynne-Marie

So many blended elements in this one - including my favorite way of recoloring dark objects. I simply duplicate the element and change the blending mode to screen. Sometimes I need to duplicate it a couple of times before it looks right and then I add a color layer which I set to Mutilply mode. I did it with the black heart from Valorie's Sprinkles.
    [​IMG]

9. dvhoward

dvhoward Don't bother me before 10am!

I had never blended a photo into paper before, so this was fun! I used the blending mode on 6 layers. They are detailed in the gallery.

[​IMG]

10. tam65

tam65 Break out the lawn mower!

This has given me a change to try something I have wanted to try for ages. I hope I have it right. I blended the edges of the photo into the paper, I blended two photos onto a photo and I blended the title so it did not stand up off the paper so much.

Passion

[​IMG]

11. jesskab

jesskab Watch me sizzle & twizzle

12. designbylime

designbylime Definitely a cat person.

13. mimisgirl

mimisgirl It's all about ME!

Totally With you Heather - blending opened up a whole work of possibilities for me artistically.
    This one has everything blended some how - the background is actually three papers blended together in linear and overlay modes.
    [​IMG]

14. lmjrocko

lmjrocko See that in my rear view mirror? That's Michigan!

[​IMG]

Blending:
    Photo - overlay
    Arrow - lighten
    Grateful - vivid light

15. zenjen

zenjen PIkes Peak Paradise

I did more than three, I got started and couldn't stop!

I blended the background with another paper for more texture, the green color on the cardboard is another paper for some color, the arrows are blended with another paper, the arrow circle is blended for color and a more stamp-y look and the date is blended to add more depth. Fun challenge, thanks!

[​IMG]

https://the-lilypad.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=175981&title=you-26amp-3b-me&cat=500

16. dennydenny

dennydenny Why can't it snow in the Bahamas?

I altered the background paper, the card and the paper heart
    [​IMG]

17. Mother Bear

Mother Bear Crikey!

A whole lot of blending in this layout.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 2, 2015
  18. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

here's my MOC2 - photo - pin light; grid paper- linear burn; word arts -multiply; birds - luminosity
    [​IMG]

19. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

Fun challenge! Several things blended - papers, trees, snow, tag, word art...

[​IMG]

20. violaine

violaine Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Thanks Heather for this challenge !