iPhone wrinkles?

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by QuiltyMom, Mar 27, 2017.

1. QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom I'll never run out of things to do!

How do ya'll deal with what I call the iPhone Wrinkle app?

Any photos taken of me with my phone makes me look at least 15 years older than I am. It makes my wrinkles (yes, I have them) look like deep craters (and they're not that huge). I have a few selfies that I need to doctor up to make me look more normal, but that's making me go crazy. Any tips/apps/filters, etc., that I could use to help with this problem? I don't want to sound vain, but sometimes it's the only way I can get in my photos and I just don't want to use them.

2. angiekey

angiekey Permanent residence in the gutter

Couple thoughts: it makes a difference whether you're using the main camera or the front-facing camera for selfies. They have a different zoom factor. I've found the main camera results in the most flattering selfies. When I use the front-facing camera, it makes my face look fat and emphasizes features I'd rather minimize, like my forehead and nose.

So practice using the main camera for those selfies, even though you won't be able to see yourself on-screen.

Second issue, particularly with wrinkles or uneven skin, is lighting. Find yourself a big window (I use our sliding glass door) and make sure the light that's coming in isn't direct light from the sun. (In other words, you want a north or south-facing window, not east/west).

Face the window so your whole face is getting lit, and then take the selfie. So it would be window, then phone, then your face. That should help. It's when light is coming from an angle to a wrinkle that you get a shadow that emphasizes the wrinkle and makes it look larger.

Sokee likes this.
  3. angiekey

angiekey Permanent residence in the gutter

For editing, I love Snapseed. Not only does it give me incredible control over color, curves, and depth, but it now has a face enhance tool at the very bottom of the list. Among other things, it will do skin smoothing with a single tap. Super impressive!

jenn mccabe, Sokee and QuiltyMom like this.
  4. QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom I'll never run out of things to do!

Thanks for all the information! I'll give that a try.

angiekey likes this.
  5. Serena

Serena Squishy soul poet who loves Walter Hunt

I second the using the main camera when you can, but as for apps, I use one called BeautyPlus. It's got other features I don't bother with, but I've been getting shots of myself that I actually REALLY like.. It's shocking as I usually don't like pics of myself and now I'm like "oooOOoOo, pretty!!!" They have an auto function as well as a do it yourself type and you can lower how much of the adjust you want. :D It's pretty nifty. I use Snapseed too, but I haven't tried it for skin enhancing and whatnot.

QuiltyMom likes this.
  6. Sokee

Sokee What we do in life echoes in eternity

this is interesting, I'm going to try using my main camera on my phone and looking into the apps that are suggested here too!

7. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

I'm no help because I'm in the same situation. I always feel like my selfies make me look way older than I am and really makes my wrinkles look way worse than I *think* they are. But I'm going to try some of these suggestions!

8. Celeste

Celeste I'm moving to Hogwarts!

great tips here!

9. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

...my solution? don't take selfies. :giggle Just kidding, but I do notice the same thing... darn cameras show my age WAY more than I feel like they should. I'm going to check into these suggestions too.

I will 2nd Angie in that my best selfies are when I am facing a window. :)

enjoyyourpix likes this.
  10. Rikki

Rikki Next I'm going to look up naughty limericks

Because of your recommendation I got the App today and love it. Admittedly some of the features are downright creepy (anime), but the filters and retouching possibilities are awesome. I like myself on pictures for a change! My husband is laughing about me - I even beautified HIM today - because he says that's not me. But who cares? :-) It's only a little touch up.

Serena and QuiltyMom like this.
  11. Serena

Don't worry, the anime one creeps me out a bit too!!! I don't really go to anything but the beautify editor anymore. I use the auto and then turn down the opacity and then they have this GORGEOUS filter called "Sweet" that puts this really soft colored filter on and then has this GREAT spotlight that really just makes the photo WOW. I turn the opacity down on that for the most part too but I looove it. Then you can take the blur off of the sides if you want depending. :D I, too, have never loved photos of myself and now I'm like "Oooh, who's a pretty girl?!" Then I realize that's how I talk to my cats and I wonder why they chew on my ankles... o_O

But seriously, yes, I've actually LIKED selfies lately, so I'm SUPER glad that it's helped you too! :D

And! I've beautified all my family too! Even my husband, so you're not alone! LOL!!! I'm glad to know I'm not too! ^.^ There's another app that I barely use that recommended the beauty app and it had all this make up you could add.. I tried it for a bit and had some hilarious ones of my son and husband in make up, but I rarely if ever use that one.

Rikki likes this.
  12. Rikki

@Serena You crack me up, but you are certainly not alone. I'm going around the house showing everybody my pics and they all just shake their head and say I'm nuts.
    Do you ever take pics with the front camera inside the app? I like the live preview but the photos turn out tiny!! I mean, now that I actually like the photos I need to use them on my AAM pages, right? But with that size all I can do is a 12x12 page of inchies (but I am sure I can soon fill the page with 100 pics of me the way I am playing with the app right now).

@AnneofAlamo That would actually make a great AAM page, wouldn't it? An inchie page with selfies?!

So I think I will have to stick to the regular camera and edit afterwards. Then at least the pictures have a somewhat useable size.

Serena likes this.
  13. Serena

Eeeeew, no. I'm a Faketographer. :martini (which is to say I like to pretend I know what I'm doing but really I just point the camera and get SUPER lucky because I take ten billionty pictures!

But, being that, I AM kind of a snob about lenses.. and the 'front facing' selfie lens is hooooorrible. I mean, it's a great idea but take a photo of something in front of you, then flip your camera around and take it again with the front facing. It'll have the EXACT same lighting/everything, but the front facing camera lenses aren't big enough to pull in all the light like the one on the back. So the photos are grainier, smaller and of poorer quality. (I'm also a jpg vs png snob for that reason too, jpgs just don't save the same pixel ration and the photos degrade every time you mess with it.)

So if you can, definitely get used to taking them with the front facing. You'll probably feel weird, and will get a few weird looks as you have to try over and over and over again because you keep cutting yourself off or getting a weird angle (at least I do..) but you'll get the hang of it and you'll thank yourself for the upgrade in quality!!

Also, I'm using some white out on the screen over your post.. Don't give Anne that inchies idea!!!! You need to put the app down and back away slowly!! You're going to the dark side!!!! LOL!!

Although... hmm... that could be fun. One selfie a day for 30 days just to see? And then post them on the inchies somehow? Hmmm... Ack! No no no!! Now you got ME on the dark side!!! I NEED MORE WHITE OUT!!!!

14. Serena

Also, ironically.. I'm working on a selfie layout as we speak... it's for the mirror challenge. LOL!

15. Rikki

@Serena Yeah, I know all about the horrible front camera...I was just wondering as it seems the app was meant to use it because of the live preview etc. Too bad the quality of the photos is so so bad with it. It's always so awkward with the back camera, but at least with the headphones we have a shutter release.

Can't wait to see the layout. I'll make sure to comment about your prettiness, :-)

Serena likes this.
  16. Serena

You're so sweet! I actually don't like the photo, it's the concept of it though that I thought was cool and would go with the challenge.. but I'm stuck. I have a paper, the title and me in a frame... and it's just... sitting there. :groan