Internet privacy and scrapping

Discussion in 'Scrapping Pad' started by Kat, Oct 6, 2018.

1. Kat

Kat Seeking wine/shopping/teeth brushing support group

Does anyone ever worry about sharing layouts online due to privacy?

I've been overthinking internet privacy lately because a fence company stole my profile photo from Twitter to use as my ID in their business. I had inquired about fence repair and gave them my name and email only.

I talked with their business management company in an online chat and they feel that if I/you/anyone posts anything online publicly available and particularly on social media that it's fair game due to "third party usage" in most TOS. I chatted completely anonymously with them but they gathered a large amount of data and knew a lot about me even without me giving my name.

So I have started wondering about sharing layouts and other personal things like that online. I mean, our layouts can get super personal sometimes, right? I googled my name and found that one of my galleries came up on google. I share on instagram and facebook often too.

Does this worry you guys? Or do you just accept that it's a part of life these days and/or use caution about what you share?

LoveItScrapIt likes this.
  2. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

I blur out license plates and address numbers. And if my journaling is private, I don't share the layout. Other than that, I'm not worried about it.

3. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

4. umyesh

umyesh President of the Hangry Ladies Supper Club

I kissed the frog!

5. bestcee

I would be sketchy about the fence thing legality. That sounds like the type of business move that caused the new cookies/privacy notices from Europe to go into effect. In fact, in my graphic class we had to read over the terms of agreements for common usage and that wouldn't fly. Typically as soon as you are using it for profit, you must get permission.

That said, I like Michele, I blur out names, and licenses. And if it's super personal journaling, you won't see it in the online layout. I have googled my son's name, and it's the same as a very popular poker player, and real estate agent. So, while I don't use his full name on any publicly posted layouts, he would not be high on the list to google if someone puts it together. Me? I share a name with a popular tennis star, family therapist, and real estate agent. Along with an etsy person. In fact, my Facebook isn't even on the first group of images.

And all that said, while I am careful about what I actively post online, I also know that no matter what you do and do not post online if someone really wants to track you down they can. If you look at the doxxing that happens, internet trolls have enough time on their hands to make it happen.

Tree City likes this.
  6. bestcee

7. umyesh

I kissed the frog!

8. umyesh

I'm sorry about your experience with the fence company. I worry about privacy a lot. I often don't journal if it's not required and then add journaling after I upload online.

9. HeatherB

HeatherB Ain't nothin wrong with a few dust bunnies!

I change journaling for posting online so that I don't have names, places, anything identifying. What worries me now is the prevalence of facial recognition software and having my layouts show up on a "face" search. Shutterfly showed me some of my layouts with a certain person in them and I was surprised at how accurate it was.

10. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

I worry about it all the time. That's one reason I'm not on FB anymore. I'm not on Twitter either. I'm still on Instagram, but don't post anything personal on there. I worry about it, but what are you going to do? If somebody wants to steal your information, it's certainly there for the taking. That being said, I really wish TLP was private! A couple of other sites I'm on are private. You have to be a member and be logged in to see anything.

11. rach3975

rach3975 Well-Known Member

First, about the fence company--I wouldn't use them, and I make sure to tell them that they'd lost my business because of their unauthorized use of my personal information/social profiles. Then I'd go review my privacy settings on all social media accounts and strengthen them if necessary.

I do worry about privacy, more so for my kids than for me. So from the time I started digiscrapping, I have been as careful as possible to be sure that our last name, city, kids' school names, and other personally identifying information is not associated with my scrapping identity. That's why I don't post layouts on Facebook or interact with designers or stores there.

I really haven't figured out how to deal with the rise of facial recognition software. For now my kids don't have enough of an online presence to be detected, but I probably do. (On FB pictures of them tend to get tagged as me since there's enough of a resemblance and FB doesn't recognize them separately.) As they've gotten older I've been a lot more careful about what journaling I post--anything I wouldn't want a future employer, college, etc. to see doesn't get posted. But beyond that, I don't know what else we can do. I'm not willing to give up posting layouts entirely (or start blurring all faces) unless I start to feel like there's more of a risk than I do now.

12. kimingvtx

kimingvtx I'll try anything once!

I worry a little bit about it. I don't share near as much as I used to! I am in a couple private groups on FB and I don't mind sharing in those.

13. jesskab

jesskab Watch me sizzle & twizzle

I don't worry about it so much with my scrapping. I do make sure to ask permission to use anyone else's pics or to show their kids on my page. I always tell them it will most likely be used for advertisement. I've never had a parent refuse.

bestcee likes this.
  14. jesskab

jesskab Watch me sizzle & twizzle

15. krscraps

krscraps I'm a nerd.

16. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

I used to... but as time goes on, I've begun to realize that people can use google for me and still find out about where I live, family members, and probably other way too personal information. At this point, I keep to my usual sites, and kind of go with the flow. If someone really wants to know about me, they will find a way.

bestcee and Kat like this.
  17. QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom I'll never run out of things to do!

Due to some unforseen circumstances surrounding my family I'm going to basically stop scrapping/sharing about my family online. If it's me, then ok. But it must be generic. Not my kids anymore or extended family members. I've so many pages/posts about my DD's skating that it's not funny. It's not only those who don't know us, but those who do - even friends - who will take things out of context, run with it, create havoc in their path and spread rumors. I've learned the hard way that you can't trust anyone online anymore. Sad. I'll post some things on the FB groups for CT reasons, but that'll be it.

I've still to delete photos and posts in facebook, but they're still "out there". I'll read people's posts, comment on them, but there won't be any more personal posts from me.

18. Amson

Amson Yoo-hoo!

I don't post anything about my daughters online at all and have not done so for many years. Earlier pages I removed when I returned to scrapping a few years ago. For myself, I am not too concerned but most pages still do not get posted. If I don't want anyone to read the journalling, I'll blur the writing or post in a smaller font.

19. Kat

Kat Seeking wine/shopping/teeth brushing support group

I really appreciate everyone's comments. It sounds like most of us are cautious (which I am too) and otherwise not super worried.

The thing with the fence company was a weird situation... they claimed they didn't know this was happening and agreed it was wrong. The company they hired uses Thryv (be warned about this company)... they are a business management solutions company and can get information off you with ZERO info provided. I chatted on their website to gather data and didn't give them my name or email or anything but they tracked me via my browser (a cookie or IP address?) and knew my name, my email/phone/address, my occupation, had my photo and my business logo. I gave them zero info. It was terrifying. This is the same company that believes that social media is a free for all if posted publicly (like your profile photos). I've started looking into ways to post a copyright on absolutely everything. Maybe even my layouts.

BTW, it's NOT legal, and is a copyright violation of the owner of the photograph. You or your photographer or whoever took the photo. If it does happen to you ask them for a copy of a model release form with your signature giving them permission to use your image. As a whole, we need to fight back on unauthorized usage of our personal images.

I also found my royal wedding videos embedded into a website from an asian country. They linked back to my you tube on another weird-o site. If people google me, they get that new scrapbooking gallery link on page 2. I don't want my photography clients looking at my personal layouts and learning about me. Most of my journaling is unreadable due to just the size but still.

I agree about wishing all these scrap sites would protect our images from non-members at the least.

@QuiltyMom I hear you totally. I have some odd circumstances too and want to protect my privacy and am torn between my usual day to day (photo business and scrapping online) vs. being more anonymous. People can easily google my name because it's unique and learn my home address and much more. I hate that, but it's in public records because we own a home. I use my "name" which is not actually my name but my initials/nickname but my last name is everywhere I feel like and so unique that it's easier to track me than it would be if there was someone else with a similar name. I'm thinking of changing my online identity altogether to remove my name. Seems extreme though.

QuiltyMom likes this.
  20. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

I don't really share my layouts anymore probably because I'm not scrapping much. I also don't share much on FB these days either. Of course, I don't have kids to even post about but I do think those of you that do have kids need to be very cautious about what you post and where.

I follow some former reality tv contestants and I constantly hear about one contestant in particular. She makes a living by shilling on IG and uses her 2 daughters in her IG photos regularly. Her girls are less than 6 years old. And, she makes a point about posting every time they go to DisneyLand which is quite often since they live in the LA area. Those girls would be so easy for anyone to find. That is what scares me about parents posting personal info. Just make the target even bigger!

There is also no such thing as internet privacy... If people want to find out anything, they can.