I think I need a jump start...

Discussion in 'Fit Pad' started by jenevang, Aug 30, 2013.

1. jenevang

jenevang Rocking a two-piece under my scrubs

So, I fully admit that I need to lose at least 50 lbs. I weigh as much as I did when I was at my heaviest in pregnancy. EEK. I am almost 44 years old and my middle is not responding to the things it used to.

I have been walking, working out in gym or doing Insanity for over a year consistently - at least 3 x a week and often more. I have been trying to eat better, but honestly this is a problem for me with a large, busy family to feed and a lot of eating "on the go".

I have seen no results and in fact, may be getting thicker.

My husband is discouraged about this as am I. He's a fitness freak and is able to keep his body lean and in shape with 3 hours in the gym a week and eating whatever the heck he wants. Sometimes I want to strangle him in his sleep, LOL.

Anyway, I want a tried and true, healthy jump start. I think if I can start to see a difference, it will motivate me. All this to say...

Any good (again, healthy) quickie diets that you have tried (like these detox things - note that I'm not really touchy feely when it comes to my health, but some of them have got to be good for you, right?). Preferably that I can research free or cheap. I know I have to exercise more and eat less. I know I have to change my lifestyle. I've done the WW route. I just want some quick results that will keep me from raising my hands and saying "forget it".

OK, too whiney? LOL. Don't mean to be. I just want to be a success story! And figured I'd see if any of you ladies have any advice on this front.

2. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I'm watching this thread. If someone can magically make me not eat so many sweets and then actually enjoy exercise, I'm all ears.

3. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

Jen...message me any time you want to chat about this. Or come join my FB Healthy Living Lifestyle group (search it and pick the one with the red apple icon). It's a private group where we chat about exercise, food, vitamins, recipes, whatever...about food. A lot of us are low carb but there are all types of diet plans. It's not a very chatty group but it's where we all go to for questions and someone always has a suggestion. I was frustrated this yr after struggling with weight watchers and regular gym workouts without seeing a lot of results (after the first 25 lbs), I was stalled for months and my stomach area was not getting much thinner even though the rest of me did a bit. So I went low(ish) carb and saw immediate results. My stomach and arms thinned out and I lost another 10 lbs. It's not easy to cut way back on starches and bread but by eating 30-60 carbs a day I am feeling better, looking better and am not hungry all the time like I used to. Something for you to think about. I can't say what works for anyone other than me but I can say this is working well for me.

4. tdjohnson67

tdjohnson67 Member

Jen,
    I am right there with you at 46. In December 2012 I topped out at 260 pounds - YIKES! - where did it come from??? I started seeing a great doctor in my area that has a weight loss business that focuses on healthy living and exercise. Like he says, we know what we have to do, it is just getting it from our brain to our body. From a week b4 Christmas until my kids got out of school I steadily lost 37 pounds. But with the Summer, and other things, I stalled. School is back in and I have been able to get back to the gym 4X's a week on lifting weights and mid week a light day of just cardio, but I just cannot get back on my diet, but I will. I have to have accountablity or I just keep putting it off. I still have 70 pounds to go, Christmas is my project date. My kids often comment on how I am more fun and have more energy, a real perk with 3 youn'uns (11, 9, 5)

Just a few of the helps I have found is FitnessRx for Women, it is a great but expensive magazine. I just go to their fabulous website for free. They have print and go workouts that make it easy and efficient at the gym, along with all the recipes, and health advice. All their exercises have video or well worded instructions. Then there is Fitness Blender on YouTube, which has great workouts. If you want to do kettlebells they have a fantastic video workout that will bust your butt.

I work out at the YMCA which I love there is always a trainer around that I can ask if I am doing something correctly or what is the most effective way to do something. I got friendly (in a good way) with one of their trainers that I saw around weekly to the point if he saw me doing something that was a waste of time (not a good use of my time) he would suggest something that would be more efficient or let me know of new classes and clubs starting up. I love the community feel, and no judgement.

Best of luck to you, we as humans need to be supportive of each other, so I will be popping in to see how you are doing and keeping myself accountable. hee hee.

If this is a little stringy or run-on I apologize, it is WAY past my bed time. Which is a real issue for me. I find when I make myself adhere to a bedtime that is 10ish I do much better on getting myself to the gym, get up earlier, and I definitely eat better. Hard because I am such a night owl. :yawn

Loosing it with ya,
    Tracy