Hybrid Layouts

Discussion in 'Hybrid Pad' started by sarahbhb, Apr 7, 2014.

1. sarahbhb

sarahbhb Happy Anniversary babe! Now, pack up!

How many of us are creating hybrid layouts? I know there are a few that I've noticed. I've been dabbling a bit in 8x8, I've been thinking about doing some 12x12s though.

I would love to see what y'all are creating. Here's my latest layout using some BYOC goodies (Heather's template and Amy W's paper and elements). I absolutely love how it turned out! I'm definitely going to be using templates more in the future, now that I can see how easy they are to fill with papers and print and cut with my Silhouette. So excited!

[​IMG]

^^^linked for credits

This layout was actually an 12x12 template, but I kept the photo, all the papers, etc the same size and cut my background paper down to 8x8 just to suit my tastes a little better.

2. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I did one hybrid layout two years ago at Christmas and it was awful. I was too lazy to cut out (by hand) as many elements as I really wanted to use, so it was just blah and looked so flat. I really would love to play around with hybrid more because I LOVE the look of them, but I don't have a silhouette or any other cutting machine and I know I won't do it myself without. I keep seeing the portrait price go down on Amazon and think I really need to get one just to play with. At the very least I think I'd make cards.

Your page is fantastic by the way Sarah! :)

3. sarahbhb

I didn't own a Silhouette until this past fall, and cut out everything by hand. It honestly wasn't that bad for the most part..and it was something I could do while watching TV with the family. But having said that I love love love love my Silhouette. I can get stuff done so much faster and do much more intricate cuts. Print and cut is definitely my favorite feature, though because I get to use all the awesomeness from my favorite digital desingers. Plus there's so much more you can do with it that just that...lots of gift ideas, home decor, etc out there. I use mine almost daily.

4. Katydid

Katydid Active Member

Oh goodness! I don't think I would attempt a hybrid layout without my Silhouette! LOL! I used to do cards and even boxes occasionally before I got my machine, and it wasn't too bad. But I didn't really have any desire to do a layout until the Silhouette came into my life ;). I did my first hybrid layout last month and now I'm addicted. Most of mine are for a different store, but I did do one for the BYOC challenge this month!

[​IMG]

Sarah - it looks like we used the same template set! Great minds, yeah? lol!

5. sarahbhb

Yeah, Heather's template set is awesome! I was so excited because I knew they would translate well into hybrid.

Here are a couple of 12x12 pages I did pre silhouette. Super simple, everything is paper, but everything is hand cut including all those chevrons. It really wasn't all that difficult..just took a little time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think I need to go through my template stash and tag the ones that will be good for hybrid..I'm loving how fun it is to turn templates into paper pages!

6. Katydid

Katydid Active Member

So cute! :) So you're just using white cardstock as your background? I haven't tried a 12x12 hybrid layout yet - I've only done 8.5x11 because I can print borderless up to that size. I also print my 12x12 digi pages as 8x8 so I wouldn't even know where to put a 12x12 page! haha!

7. sarahbhb

It depends...I tend to scrapbook in different sizes (I've got 12x12, 8.5x11, 8x8 and 6x6 albums). For 12x12s I'm only using cardstock. I've done some 8x8's that I printed the paper for, but I don't think I have any of them posted online. I should take a pic of an 8x8 that I just did based off of an old 12x12 digi layout. I really love how the hybrid version turned out.

I know I'm going to have to replace my printer soon and I'm actually considering buying a large format so I can print 12x12 backgrounds on occasion. I'm usually really happy with just cardstock, but occasionally I love a patterned paper background.

8. sushimommy

sushimommy Could you point me to the helipad?

I do mine mostly as 8x8, but have tons of solid and white 12x12 to use as backgrounds for that size. (Now that I do project life ( all hybrid), I put the 12x12s there - my printed digital albums are 8x8 like Katy said. I hand cut, no silhouette. (I do have a cricut, but it's easier to use scissors or punches for pages usually)

9. Li Li Wee

Li Li Wee I create my imagination

I rarely come in to this thread because I know I will be jealous when I see all this awesome hybrids that I can't do… great work ladies!!
    [​IMG]

10. Katherine B

Katherine B 2, 4, 6, 8, who do we appreciate?!

11. Justagirl

Justagirl Courageously dancing in the rain

Here's one from me thought I'd share with you. I've linked the image so you can see the digi version too ;) [​IMG]

12. Karen

Oh my gosh!!! This is stunning! I kinda don't want to post mine below yours! LOL! :)

13. Karen

Well... I finally broke down Sarah and bought a Silhouette! If I had your phone number I would have been calling you last night! I was SO frustrated getting the print and cut to work! I was looking all over in the forum for a link to the video tutorial that I know is on the blog somewhere and I watched several videos on YouTube too. Grr... I figured out how to bring the elements in and mostly how to trace around them, and how to print with registration marks, but when I loaded the paper, it would say registration failed. Grrr! Come to find out there are two different load buttons on the darn thing and I never saw anywhere that said which one to use. Once i pressed the correct load button, it read my registration marks and cut just fine. Phew! I spend literally all evening and night on this one page! I wasn't going to sleep until I finished it and I was not going to hand cut all those pieces while sitting in front of a Silhouette! LOL! Anyway, here's by first pocket style layout:

[​IMG]

14. sarahbhb

So glad you figured it out! Your page is amazing! I can't wait to see other projects you create. Hybrid is so much fun! And congrats on your 5k.

BTW you could have always msged me. I get both pms here and Facebook sent to my email so I probably would have noticed fairly quickly. :)

15. Karen

Ha ha! I know I could have messaged you Sarah... I was getting pretty close to doing just that, but I have this awful "I can do it myself" personality. My Mom says that was my first sentence "I can do it myself!" :)

Anyway, now that I know how to work the silhouette, I'm excited to try other stuff with it. I'm pretty sure my LOs will stay digi because that's just how my brain works, but there are quite of few other hybrid ideas brewing in my head now. :)