Hulu + Live TV -- anybody have it?

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by dawnmarch, May 10, 2023.

1. dawnmarch

dawnmarch Actually, no. You are not funny!

Our cable bill is absurd so I am thinking about (finally) cutting the cord. But, hubby likes to record shows and loves sports, especially football and hockey. So, after looking at the billion streaming services out there, I'm thinking Hulu + live tv might be the best for us. It has unlimited online DVR, local channels plus most of the channels we watch (CNN, MSNBC, Comedy Central etc) AND includes ESPN+ which has most hockey games.

Anybody have it? Pros vs cons? In second place is YouTubeTV so thoughts on that are also welcome.

Thanks!!!

G.J. likes this.
  2. elseepe

elseepe I'll follow the sun

I had it for a little while several years ago. I found the interface a little clunky. I'm sure it's improved but it's still too expensive for me. I got YouTubeTV with a special through my cell phone provider, but that deal is over, so I'm going to cancel it too. With YouTubeTV I get all my local broadcast channels which is nice, but just not worth the full-price to me for what I watch. I'd be happy with a package that excluded all sports, but gave me my local broadcast channels for a cheap price. I'm likely going back to piecing it together with various apps and 1-day delays for shows I watch.

dawnmarch likes this.
  3. dawnmarch

Yeah, I think we need the local channels for football for my husband or I'd be ready to get rid of them too. Even with all that, Hulu+live tv would still be roughly half of what we are playing for cable. Thanks for the info!

4. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

We have regular Hulu because it comes with my cell phone plan, but it's the entry level version so there are still a couple of ads during shows.

We still have Comcast for cable for the same reason... my hubby must have the sports. Blah! :giggle

G.J. likes this.
  5. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

I did a comparison of several options awhile back. I listed all of the channels I get with my cable provider on a spreadsheet then highlighted the ones that I watch the most. Then I set up columns for Hulu Live TV, Sling-Live TV (B&O), YouTube TV, Philo, and FuboTV. I then went down the list of channel offerings for each of the services noting yes if they had them. I also listed channels that I would like to have that my cable provider doesn't offer.

When it came down to it, YouTube TV was the best option for me. It had local channels which was important to me. I would have to buy a separate antenna that I don't want to do to get those with the other services. There are some channels that I sometimes watch that are not on YouTube TV but are available on FrndlyTV for $11 per month (there's some other intriguing channels on it as well). The 2 added together would probably be less than my current cable if I paid for it not in a bundle price.

I wanted to watch a marathon of a reality show that was previously on a streaming service on April 30th (The Traitors was being shown on Bravo). They ran some episodes on Saturday as well and when I went to watch them, the channel was frozen on my cable. So I ended up getting set up on YouTube TV. Cable did get the freezing straightened out about 4 hours into the Saturday showings but on Sunday morning when the marathon actually started... it was frozen again. Didn't come back on for about 5 hours hours. Then when the marathon was over I wanted to watch something on Discovery ID from 9 to 11. Constant freezing issues.

All that to say that right now I do have both. I have been playing with YouTube TV by adding things to my library so it will DVR them to see how that works. What I really want it for is to watch the football games for my college alma mater. They are on CBSSN quite often and my cable doesn't have that channel. I will probably keep it for several months to figure out if I really want to keep it and actually ditch the cable but I do have a tv in the basement that is not a smart tv and is only used during tornado warnings. I like having it so that I can watch the local channels for updates. So that is something I have to consider... and getting the other tv's upstairs set up!

G.J. likes this.
  6. G.J.

G.J. If I Could Turn Back Time

I watch tv shows on hulu, youtube and tokyvideo. Some local tv channels for us are all available free and online.
    For MTV and movies we found pluto TV a little time ago, doesn't requires registration, it's a liitle bit like Netflix, so you must check the channel and the show, etc., it's a new hybrid propose and it's growing up, so new channels and tv shows are added.

7. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

We don't have Hulu Tv, we do have the Disney bundle with Hulu and ESPN+ - for hockey.

The biggest thing: Which team (s) does he follow and are you in their blackout area? Because if you are, there's a lot of games you won't get, and that might lean you towards a specific service. For us, the Blues and Blackhawks are blacked out. Not a big deal, since neither of those are teams we follow. So, we miss about 2-3 games of our teams, unless it happens to be the national game that week.

G.J. likes this.
  8. amien1

amien1 I do enjoy a good exclamation point!

We cut the cable cord in March. It was all going just fine until NHL Playoffs. I HATE that the games are all on DIFFERENT networks. Fubo is the only streaming service that has our local Root Sports Network- so of course we had to sign up for a trial of that one to watch our Seattle Kraken games in the first round. THEN, the TBS/TNT games we had to sign up for Sling TV for a month (not too expensive) to watch this 2nd round of games. So far I think we should be good with these two extra apps- but honestly, it's such a pain in the rear to remember which app has which networks to find the games. We are considering going BACK to cable, since at this point, we're paying about the same price as we were before with all these different apps...

Edited to add- that we DO have the ESPN+ bundle with hulu & disney too- but like Courtney said- the only games that play are not the ones we want to watch... Kraken & Oilers are our teams... figures!

bestcee likes this.
  9. dawnmarch

This is exactly the worry that's in the back of my mind. But, I think (?) having the live local network channels should help. With Hulu + live TV, we'd have ESPN, ESPN2, ESPN+, TNT, TBS and all of our local channels (where I think they would televise our local team -- which is theoretical because our local team -- the Phx Coyotes -- sucked too much to make the playoffs :D). I agree that it's ridiculous that all the games are on different networks. We've had to hunt around to figure out where the games are even on cable. And the season NHL sports package we paid for on cable does not include the playoffs. :badputer Of course, if we get Hulu + live tv this year, everything will probably be totally different next year. :eyeroll

BUT - you've convinced me that at the very least, I'll wait until after the playoffs to make the change!

Last edited: May 12, 2023
    amien1 and bestcee like this.
  10. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Are you blacked out for Oilers? I mean, I know they are almost close, but not really.

Also, just think, at least you'll be able to quit a bunch of the apps by end of playoffs. So, still save money the rest of the year?

amien1 likes this.
  11. amien1

amien1 I do enjoy a good exclamation point!

We are- which is just stupid since it's not close at all! lol! We don't watch football as much as hockey- but my husband has already mentioned if it's like this for football if it's even worth cancelling... We need ONE app that we can pick & chose what we want right... oh wait, that's almost like cable! :giggle

bestcee likes this.
  12. dawnmarch

LOL! DH is old school so I do worry that he's gonna be all grouchy about the potential inconvenience. But, I figure we can always go back to cable if it comes to that and probably even get a better deal if we've been gone for a while.

bestcee and amien1 like this.