How to use triangular clipping masks?

Discussion in 'Scrapping Pad' started by MrsEm, May 22, 2019.

1. MrsEm

MrsEm Well-Known Member

I'm trying to catch up my pocket scrapping using JJ's ready to go templates but they have sooo many triangular photo spots and I'm really struggling finding ANY photos that will fit there. I feel like I must be missing something.

Here's an example of the template with triangle spots:
    https://the-lilypad.com/store/Ready...-Week-41-Storyteller-October-2018-Add-on.html

Does anyone have any examples of how they've used these areas? Whether it be filling it in with something other than a photo or just show me what sort of photos you make fit there?

2. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

Find a photo that has a lot of extra space around the main focus. Then look for one that has stuff in the corner you need it. You could also flip the photo if you need the focus in the other corner.

I don't do a lot of pocket pages, but I do use Lynn Grieveson's templates a lot and they often have faded photos that are similar to the triangle shapes.

3. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

I am a RTG template junkie haha. Sometimes I do struggle with those photo spots, but I am usually able to find a photo that I've taken off center and use that, or one that is taken from a distance. I have flipped them before, too, when maybe the subject was on the opposite side, like Bev said.

4. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

Maybe you could clip the photo to both the intended triangle photo spot and to the adjacent journal spot. Then, clip a paper on top of the "journaling-photo" triangle and lower the opacity to make it look like vellum (or make a solid color layer and clip that to the journaling/photo spot and lower its opacity a little). Move the template's text layer so it's above the vellum paper layer and journal away.

5. SeattleSheri

SeattleSheri Movers, cleaners, great hair. I'm a socialite!

You could clip multiple photos into one of the triangles or a neutral solid paper that matches the template if you want to skip the photo.

6. Angela Toucan

Angela Toucan I keep looking for THAT wardrobe

They are good for cropping in close to a part of a photo - maybe to the book someone is reading rather than looking at the entire photo of the person reading the book, or to cutout background clutter from a photo taken in a child's bedroom.

7. Angela Toucan

Angela Toucan I keep looking for THAT wardrobe

I used one of Jamie's PL templates with a triangle for this page.
    [​IMG]

cfile likes this.
  8. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I am like Jan and am a RTG junkie, but I will admit that very rarely do the triangle or other shaped photo spots make it into my final page. I almost always turn off the triangle photo spot and put a rectangle spot in it's place. I just create one with the shape tool and then clip my photo to it. You could also leave the triangle and clip a paper there and then put of new photo on top. I just use them as a suggestion for a photo spot and use the size that works for my pictures. Here's an example... see the top right photo spot? And the two half circle picture shapes on the right page below?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

I must say I'm with @Karen and usually turn a triangle off if it's in a template like this. That kind of triangle does not make me happy. Obviously, others' mileage varies on these. ymmv

Karen likes this.