How to use a paper with Threshold Technique

Discussion in 'Learning Pad' started by *gina*, Mar 26, 2019.

1. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

here you go Kayla :)

https://the-lilypad.com/forum/threads/friends-dont-let-friends-fonts-float.26663/page-2#post-397611

keepscrappin likes this.
  2. cfile

to get rid of the white you can also use a blend mode onthe b/w layer.. your multiply and darkens will remove white also :)

3. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

Very cool technique Gina! Thanks for taking the time to write this up! I love your page too! :heartslub

4. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

Thanks so much @*gina* You are a great tutorial writer! I hope to try this one out this week...and even jump into PSCC to try it! brave me...haha

5. *gina*

*gina* It's all about the 3-C's

IntenseMagic, Karen and cfile like this.
  6. cfile

you are welcome.. not really link to a tutorial but the link for the no font float style for those that use PSE (and also for PSCC)

7. cookingmylife

I started this one in PSCC but 1st realized I had two versions of PS. 2nd deleted one. Not an auspicious start. 3rd several of the commands didn't do anything so...I went back to PSE 2019 and got started 4th the shortcut to make a color image didn't work so nor did the link under Enhance. Then it did.

Moving along, I got it all done in PSE and decided to do the last bit of actions for Supply Credits and making the Print and Web versions in PSCC just to get a bit of practice in with those. Credits worked but the File Save wanted a java script which I have NEVER used. And I've used those actions in PSCC before! sigh
    It appears to be One Of Those Days. :badputer I have no doubt the concept of this technique will stay in my brain though the steps will undoubtedly vanish shortly. LOL

1903-TLP-Threshold_web.jpg

cfile, *gina*, wvsandy and 1 other person like this.
  8. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

Love your page, Maureen. I feel your frustration.

Does anybody have a clue WHY my "merge down" option isn't active????? I tried Kayla's @keepscrappin tutorial for PSE and I can't get the "merge down" option to be activated no matter what I try. I have PSE 2018 and I know I've used it before on a previous tutorial. SO frustrated!

I guess I was too subtle in my request for help. :giggle:giggle

Maybe Christa @cfile can help me??? My "merge down" option (see above) isn't active. :hairpol

Last edited: Mar 27, 2019
    *gina*, keepscrappin and cfile like this.
  9. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

Cheryl - make sure you are RIGHT clicking (or as I tell my computer kids - wrong finger click) on the pattern paper layer in the layers palette. Then you will get the option to merge down. Hope that helps.

*gina* likes this.
  10. Cherylndesigns

I'm doing that, Kayla. The "merge down" option is not active. The other two "merges" are, but "merge down" is gray. Does that make sense? I don't know how to make it active. I know I've used it before for other techniques.

11. *gina*

*gina* It's all about the 3-C's

I'm so sorry that you have so many problems - that was not in my mind when I wrote this tutorial

12. cfile

Click on the threshold layer and right click on that .. it should reflect the merge down.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2019
  13. cfile

Maureen, that looks great.. take that photo of you into PS CC and do the same thing so it is black and then go to Edit>Define Brush Preset and save the black threshold photo of you as a brush. I have used the brush I made of myself many many times... you can use it really small as a watermark too for your pages :) I made mine years ago, and have used it many times as a brush :)

I used mine here in this page:
    [​IMG]

*gina* likes this.
  14. cookingmylife

@cfile I'd do that Christa if I felt like seeing myself freezing a lot. :cornfused in the summer ??? Maybe with another selfie someday! clever idea though.

cfile likes this.
  15. keepscrappin

Cheryl I think I may have figured out why you don't see the merge down option. Does the layer you're trying to merge down to have the smart object thumbnail in the corner like circled here?
    upload_2019-3-29_8-56-40.jpeg
    If it does, then the merge down option will likely be grayed out. You will need to simplify that smart object layer.
    On the smart object layer in the layers palette right click -> simplify layer.
    Then go to the layer above that you want to merge down and right click -> merge down

If that doesn't help, please share a screen shot and for us to see what else may be going on.

*gina* and Cherylndesigns like this.
  16. Cherylndesigns

Thanks, Kayla. I'll go try that. It just won't become active no matter what. I haven't tried that yet, though. I'll let you know.

*gina* and keepscrappin like this.
  17. Cherylndesigns

Kayla @keepscrappin you're a genius!!! That was my problem!! How did you figure that out??? I tried everything I could think of and it just would become active. Thank you!!!:bk:bk:bk

18. keepscrappin

You're welcome! :agree Glad it's working for you now.

I'm not really sure how I figured it out. I went into PSE this morning to see if maybe I had left out a step and realized that some of my layers were smart objects and some weren't. When I tried to merge down to a smart object, the option wasn't there so I figured that might be your problem. I teach computer coding to elementary school kids, so my mind is wired to look for the bugs in their code.

*gina* likes this.
  19. Cherylndesigns

Well, that was the problem! I just created a page and am getting ready to post it. I'm glad your brain is wired like it is. I was searching online for the solution and the only thing I found was that PSE 2018 was a little different and sometimes you had to "merge all". Well, that definitely didn't work! Thanks again! I was so disappointed that I could use this cool technique.

20. Cherylndesigns

I'm doing the happy dance! Here's my layout. I had this picture of my hubby, sister Rebecca and me that was taken in a beach bar in front of a very busy beachy wall. It worked out perfect for a whole page. That's again for the tutorials and the extra help, Kayla!!

[​IMG]