how to keep fit with a sprained ankle?!

Discussion in 'Fit Pad' started by AmberR, Jan 17, 2014.

1. AmberR

AmberR Take that naysayers! Pink is my color.

Hey, I went and crashed my bike on my birthday last week, ended up scraping my face up against a concrete wall and spraining my left knee and right ankle. The ankle sprain means no running for 4-6 weeks, not only that, I can't do any sort of exercise that requires a lot of twisting or turning...

and with a sore knee, I can't do much either.

so my question: what can I DO? I was planning on (and had started) runnning off the end-of-the-year and holiday lbs with the new year. and now I'm out of commission until mid-February or longer. which might not seem long, but the inability to get out and work up a sweat and get my stress worked out...it's getting to me.

I can't swim, i don't have access. is there ANYthing else I can do?! in a flat? with some hand weights and a mat? anything at ALL?!!!

2. Lynne-Marie

Lynne-Marie there is beauty in everything

Amber, I admire your desire to exercise under these conditions! Kinda makes my excuses seem pretty lame! ;)

3. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

They make walking videos. I've never done one or seen one, but I'm pretty sure they are for indoors and are low impact. Can you walk on a tread mill? Sorry that you're out of commission for running for so long. :(

4. Angie4b1g

Angie4b1g A hundred jobs but Bob Villa ain't one

I ran on my sprained ankle. Don't tell my doctor. :giggle

I just put a brace on it since it was weak and I didn't want to sprain it worse.

Otherwise, probably anything non-weight bearing. Cycling?

5. Jeanet

Jeanet CT - Lynne-Marie

Boxing. It's a brilliant exercise where you don't have to use your legs.

6. AmberR

Angie, I am terrified to run on it and strain it beyond repair. It's been three years since I sprained my wrist and it is still injured. I didn't realize I had sprained it and tried to keep working out, which made it worse. :( Do not want to put my ankle out of commission for life!!!

Jeanet, I thought about boxing, only it don't know how to box! Any tips?

7. AmberR

Oh yah, and as soon as my knee has healed, I do plan on doing some cycling! Only right now, the movement irritates the knee sprain. Boo

8. Jeanet

Jeanet CT - Lynne-Marie

Here's something to get you going. You can simply avoid the jumps she does until your ankle is better. No need to apply too much pressure on it or you will be out for much longer.
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i85WUbYQSbI[/video]

9. VickyD

VickyD Coffee - I need an IV for that!!

My idea would have been swimming, since that's out, I have no clue!

Hope you find something that works for you and hope the healing process is a quick one! xx

10. lynning

lynning Makes wishes come true

Find some little hand/free weights. SparkPeople has some great videos. Work on building core strength by doing crunches and doing planks.

I'm currently suffering with a pinched nerve - it causes muscle spasms and pain in my left shoulder and arm. I was planning to go to the gym today to do some weight training, but I slept poorly causing my pinched nerve to flare up.