How does scrapbooking change when the kids grow up?

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by Nixenkind, Jan 25, 2014.

1. Nixenkind

Nixenkind Dreaming of boiling in Brisbane.

I'm just curious again! At the moment, I mostly scrap kids things, kids stuff, kids pictures... sure, I do my awkward pocket wannabee Art Journaling, and I bet I'm going to continue that, but how will my family scrapbooking change once the kids grow up?
    I started to think about this because today, my daughters will spend the night at the waterpark on their own for the first time. It's a monthly event and all the kids from their school love it, so they decided to join in this month. I gave my eldest daughter (she's eleven years old) my little camera and told her to shoot some pictures, since I can't be there and want the event documented anyway. When I said that I'm a little sad about the fact that there will be more and more occasions I might want to scrap and can't because I'm not there with them, my daughter said: "Don't worry, we can link my smartphone to your computer so the pictures will download automatically after I took them- but when I marry, I want to get a scrapbooking album as a gift!"
    I must say, I like that thought. I bet she wouldn't want me to "automatically download" all her pictures once she's grown up, but it made me wonder- how does the scrapbooking Mom get pictures from her adult kids? Do your kids send them? Do they have a facebook account where you take the photos from? Do you scrap less now that the kids are adults? Did the topics change?
    Sorry if the questions are stupid... I'm just curious! Thank you for your answers!

2. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

great question, and I don't have adult (almost) kids, but my two oldest are boys, so I will have to hope for marriage to a woman that loves to take pics, as they both hate the camera! lol...
    but as they get older, my girls take the most hysterical photos now, they have their own camera, and I got into the habit a few years ago of handing a camera to other people so I was in the memory too.
    but MY mom just recently scanned all of our families slides...from my birth on up! I am making pages from 1963!! The scrapping never stops, there is always something to scrap. You can download photos from the internet of the place they went. Have a little blurb about who and why they went for you memory year book also.

3. tkradtke

tkradtke Professional Brainstormer

Mine are not grown (12 and 13), but I've been trying to figure this out myself as they get more and more independent. I think this is where I really like that I'm doing project life. With small "pockets" to fill, the photo doesn't have to be high quality, so I get photos where I can. My daughter spent a week with her grandparents (my parents) last summer. I had her phone photos to use in project life, plus I took screen shots of the photos my dad posted on facebook of their time together. My son went on the youth retreat with church in the fall and no electronics were allowed, but the youth pastor took photos and posted them to the private facebook page for the group and I took screen shots of those. I'm also very open about the fact that I do project life and my kids' friends have great parents who support that! When my daughter is with her best friend, the mom will snap random photos and send them to me so I can add them to my pages. My daughter's dance instructor is the same... she is always sending me photos from class. And, if I just don't have any photos, I find a graphic to document the event. Again, this works well with the small pockets to fill. So, when my daughter went to see a movie without the rest of us and there were no photos to document it, I grabbed a screen shot of the movie poster and included that. The only real snag that I run into is that my son is way less into photos than my daughter (both taking them and being in them), so sometimes my pages feel a little lopsided... but I make sure he's there in the journaling.

NancyBeck likes this.
  4. MissKim

MissKim ichthyophobic

My kids are 19, 17 and 14. My oldest is a sophomore in college but he lives with us, so he's included when he's around and doing something photo worthy. My 17 year old will move into the dorms next year and I guess what I'm thinking is that I'm not going to be documenting her life. Once she moves out, it's her job to document or not to document. What she does with us as a family -- dinner out, coming home to do laundry, etc. -- I'll document as I always do. I'll probably screen shot more text messages and if she sends me a photo, I'm sure I'll save that. But as far as documenting her college life, I probably won't. If she indicates that she'd like to do it, I'd happily buy her a Project Life set up and let her go (she's making a SN@P album this year for her senior year).

I primarily do Project Life layouts and I consider it a documentation of our everyday life. So while she's still a family member, she's not going to be in the album as much after August because she's not going to be here to be a part of it. Right now she uses one of my old iPhones to take photos when she's with friends if there's something she wants documented. (I'm a mean mom and my kids don't get iPhones until they can pay for them.) We also have a small point and shoot she'll sometimes take. My youngest daughter has a school issued iPad and she sometimes takes photos using it. My son has an iPhone but he rarely contributes photos for Project Life and I'm OK with that. I try to respect their privacy because I am going to be posting it on my blog, in galleries, etc. Teenagers are not always so happy with having every detail of their lives documented.

What worries the most is what I'm going to document when my youngest moves out. That will be one boring scrapbook.

5. rmcabana

rmcabana Hit me with your best shot

Oh this is really making me think about how big my nieces and nephew are getting! My oldest niece, Taylor, is almost 11 and she's sending me pictures from her cell phone! It's so weird. But now that they are getting bigger, they are busy and I just don't see them much. Their parents don't take many photos and the ones they get from their cell phones are usually pretty bad. I try to be there for as many events as I can and I plan different adventures with the kids when we can, but I definitely don't have as many pictures of them to scrap.

I still have lots of other stuff to scrap. I love to make pages about my own adventures and my dog. And my sister has 7 month old now. But I started scrapping when Taylor still a baby, so it's kind of bittersweet. I just think I'm going to have to make them pose for me as they get bigger or I'm just going to stalk them when they're old enough to be on Facebook or whatever network we've moved on to in the next few years.

6. wvsandy

wvsandy Grinning Granny

I didn't discover digital scrapbooking until after my youngest got married and moved out with her 6 yr old daughter. This child had been like a child to me so I scrapped her first 6 yrs so she wouldn't forget us. My daughter continues to send pictures as often as possible and I've set up Dropbox for her to copy her photos to. I bought a DSLR for my granddaughter so she can learn photography. We have 6 additional children and a total of 17 grandchildren. None of them scrap so I try to capture what I can. I tell them all that I don't want gifts but just photos. I have scanned photos from my Mom's house and many of the photos from my collection. I have made history books for several of the kids and additional books for some of the grandkids. I have never done Project Life and I never will. My pages are rarely about my life but rather a way to stay involved in all of their lives. I did start Art Journaling several yrs ago so they will have somewhat of a record of my thoughts. BTW: the grandchildren LOVE being in the layouts. I think that they are the ones who will be interested in learning this hobby.

7. Roboliver

Roboliver I feel right at home at the Glitter Gulch!

I scrap more old photos now because I don't get as many photos of my teens like I did when they were little.

8. staciahall

staciahall Quidditch, anyone?

I have a 23 and a 20 year old. The oldest lives 3 hours away and the youngest will move out for college this fall. I still scrap a lot about them (and my gallery reflects that). They both really enjoy having their stories told. My daughter sends photos all the time, iPhone photos and dslr photos, too. She even knows to send the background info that goes with them and will give me the interesting bits like her favorite part of the event, etc and how she feels about it because she wants to be able to remember that part of it. The first thing he does after a movie/concert is drop off the ticket on my scrap desk.

They both enjoy the PL albums with the little everyday moments and the regular albums that are just about one of them. I use a lot of texts both as photos and as journaling to support photos/stories for both types of albums. And now I can have the benefit of time to be able to scrap about then and now events, both for them and for me. My daughter loves to look at the layouts that I do now about me. She is my biggest commenter!

I'm also scrapping photos from my parents childhood and from my grandparents younger years as I have inherited the photos to do so. I've surprised my dad by asking for specific memories about a photo or a time in his life and been surprised in return about how many stories spring to the surface.

9. amandac

amandac Read, or Run? Hmmm ...

The hardest part about the kids growing up is that are less inclined to let you take their picture ... so you have less to scrap with :D

10. mlewis

mlewis mlewis

I've wondered this myself! Mine are 7 and 10 so still plenty of events and things to scrapbook, but I definitely take less photos than I did when they were little and changing daily.

11. melrio

melrio I will hunt you!

Well.....here's the ol' bag chimming in on this subject. Are ya ready?!?!?! LOL

I have 2 grown sons (Wade-29, Chad-28) that have both been married, divorced, and re-married/engaged with gobs of grandbabies! LOL Much of my scrapbooking pages are of mine and DHs life and all the things that we go/see/do but the turn went more towards scrapbooking my granchildren and their daily lives.

So look at it like this....your kids, hopefully, will grow up and have things that they do or get married and have kids so you will have that to look forward to or whatever you and your S/O have going on in your lives. We stay pretty busy with deer camp, riding the motorcycle, camping, etc.

Like the saying goes: "You sure got a whole lot of livin' to do!"

Last edited: Jan 28, 2014