How do you save your Layouts?

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by DisneyMom, Jun 25, 2018.

1. DisneyMom

DisneyMom official mousketeer

Ever since I started digi-scrapbooking I've scrapped my layouts as 12x12 300 resolution. I always save the psd file (in case I need to edit the layers, spelling etc after). After I save that in a psd folder, I then merge all layers and save another file as 12x12 300 res (for printing), then I'll save another web version as an 8x8 75res for posting online.

However most of my albums I print are 8x8. So when I'm ready to print I go back to my 12x12 jpeg layouts and change the image sizes then save those in another folder for printing.

When all is said and done I have the exact same layout saved as....
    - 12x12 300 res PSD (layers)
    - 12x12 300 res JPEG (flattened)
    - 8x8 300 res JPEG (flattened)
    - 8x8 75 res JPEG (web quality 150 or less)

So much stuff saved for one layout. I'm curious what do you do? I'm thinking I should just skip the 12x12 jpeg size and save it right down to the 8x8 and save it both as a high res and web quality. Do you keep your web quality ones after posting around the digi world? Is there a benefit to keeping the web quality (besides time if you need to post again) or should I just delete those after some time?

Thanks for any input :)

2. gracielou

gracielou Well-Known Member

I save at 12x12 for print and I used to print 8x8 and I would just upload my 12x12 file and order prints in 8x8 and they always turned out great. I do not keep my PSD’s and I also delete my web files after I have uploaded to online galleries.

- 12x12 300 res for print (jpeg)
    - 2x2 or sometimes 3x3 300 res for web and I export for web in PS with file size under 240

LeeAndra likes this.
  3. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

I pretty much do the same as @gracielou :) I save at 12x12 300dpi and then when I want to print 8x8, I just upload the 12x12 and order in the 8x8 size. I don't save PSD's either...except for my PL pages and I'm really not sure why I save those. I just never really felt the need to go back and change anything about my layouts. When I do by chance find a typo, I can pretty easily correct in on the jpg or I just don't worry about it. I do keep my web layouts (@250) for a little while...no real reason for it, just makes it easier if I do by chance need to upload it again some time lol.

4. enjoyyourpix

enjoyyourpix My mama don't like you

I save the full size as a psd (12x12). If it's a CT layout or challenge, I save it as 600x600 or 700x700 and post on the internet. I usually wait to save the full size jpg when it's time to print. I go through the layouts, fix spelling errors and sometimes add more photos or journaling.

DisneyMom likes this.
  5. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

I never resize them to 8 x 8 and that's what I print for my books. I send 12 x 12's to the printer. I even get my 12 x 12's printed in 4" x 4" prints (Instagram size) at Walgreens. The bigger the better for any printing.

I just save 1 PSD 12 x 12, 1 12 x 12 JPEG, and 1 550 x 550 for the web.

DisneyMom likes this.
  6. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

I agree with multi saving the psd and the jpg... why I do that no idea. I hear tif files instead of psd is smaller, but I figure if I am getting close on space on my EHD I will go back to earlier years and delete psd files. For now I have room.

DisneyMom likes this.
  7. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

I save the .psd until printed, a 12x12 album copy, and a web version (700x700).

8. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

I save as TIFF instead of pad (smaller file size & no real difference in quality as far as I know) but other than that, same as most 12x12jpeg 300dpi for 8x8 or 10x10 printing & a 72dpi version for galleries ( I really need to delete several years worth of Tiffs but hang on to them til after printing b/cos typo's bug me & I'm not good at seeing them til after the fact!)

cfile likes this.
  9. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

I don't use PS. I use Paint Shop Pro's native format of pspimage. I did a test once of the same layout in both formats and the PSP format actually was smaller in size than the PSD format so I just keep using it.

As for what I save, I save in 12x12 a pspimage and a jpg. I resze the jpg to 600x600 and smaller than 250kb. I then add the 600x600 image to my spreadsheet of all layouts I've done where I track what I used to do the layouts.

When I have printed 8x8 books, I just upload the 12x12 jpg.

10. kimingvtx

kimingvtx I'll try anything once!

Pretty much the same. I save the Tiff file, the 12x12 300dpi, and then the web image. I moved all my kits etc to a hard drive so I still have plenty of hard drive space. I could go back and delete the web images of those that I've already posted, but I haven't yet.

11. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I pretty much do the same thing as you @DisneyMom except I don't do the 8x8 size because I print 12x12. I don't mind the extra space saving all three versions takes up because they each have their uses for me, even later on I've gone back to reference each of those files for various reasons. hard drives are cheap! :)

DisneyMom likes this.
  12. krscraps

krscraps I'm a nerd.

I save 12x12 jpg and psd. I should go through and clean it out, but storage is cheapish. I usually only back up my jpg pages though.

cfile likes this.
  13. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

I save three versions to begin withe via a free action - 12" layered .psd, 12" 300dpi print version and 72dpi web version. This is the basic option with the ability to edit any of those choices. What I also like a lot is that if I see something or change something after I've done this save, when I run the action again it will override the first save so no version 1, 2 or 3 to confuse me.

Screen Shot 2018-06-26 at 9.51.00 AM.png

At the end of each month if I'm diligent, I delete the web version and after printing I delete the print version. The .psds I keep cause...well cause I do! and yes, EHDs are cheap so none of these are ever saved on my iMac hd even to begin with.

DisneyMom likes this.
  14. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

When I finish a layout, I save a 12x12 printable version, a 600x600 web version, and the .psd.
    12x12 will be my printable version regardless of what size I print - 10x10, 12x12, 8x8, 6x6. All the printers I've used are fine with the larger file
    600 x 600 get deleted when I sort my layouts (see below).
    .psd I save. I have gone back and "Scraplifted" myself by changing out the photos and a few elements on a PSD to make a new layout quickly. Cheryl @gonewiththewind gave me the idea.

Sorting my layouts:
    I store my layouts in a folder called "Desktop Pages". And every so often, I go through and file them from that general folder to my EHD. The EHD has a 2 folders: Finished Pages PSD and Finished Pages jpegs. Inside each is a folder per year since I got my digital camera, and a folder called "Older". As I file the .psd and jpeg, I delete the web files.
    I have started, with my last book, moving my jpegs inside a folder called "Printed (book name)" inside the year folder. Because I realized I have no idea what I've printed unless it's PL!

15. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

I save PSDs, a 12x12 jpg, and my web versions . . . but only for about a year. I don't hold on to PSDs for more than a couple of years because I've been scrapping for a decade and never have I ever wanted to go back to revise one. Well, there was the 2016 MOC assignment to re-do a page that might have made me briefly wish I had the PSD.

And when I go through my somewhat yearly purge of PSDs, I also delete the web versions because not only have I never needed one after I originally made it, it would be easy enough to recreate it, even from a 12x12 JPG. The only thing I save forever is the 12x12 JPG.

I would suggest, if you scrap 12x12, save 12x12 even if you only currently print 8x8. What if someday you decide you'd like to make a 12x12 album for a relative with some pages you made a few years prior?

16. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

My process is as follows.

I have a folder named LAYOUTS IN PROGRESS. I keep the PSD in that folder until I'm completed with the layout. Once I'm finished, I save for web and that web ready version goes into a subfolder called - wait for it -WEB READY. I then post to online galleries, Facebook, Flickr, blog, etc. Once I'm done with that, I'll move the PSD to my LAYOUTS folder that is sorted by year. Inside each year subfolder, I have an Excel file that has a list of all the events/photos for that year. I'll add the web ready version of the layout onto that Excel file (it makes it easy for me to see what's left for me to scrap and what's finished). Once that's done, I delete the web ready version.

I'm way behind on printing, but when I'm ready to print, I use an action to save my print ready versions and then upload them to whatever printing service I'm using. I then delete that jpg. The only thing I keep are PSDs.

Here's my reasoning for keeping PSDs. I had a great aunt that passed away and my mom asked me to scrap a slide show for her. I was able to use my PSDs and quickly change out photos, titles, journaling - and I had a custom slideshow ready in just a couple of days rather than months and months. This works for last minute gifts as well. Once I started doing this, it just made sense for me to keep the PSDs. I have plenty of space, so it's not an issue.

Maybe that will give you some ideas?

DisneyMom and bestcee like this.
  17. mcurtt

mcurtt give me all the paleo brownies

Well, I scrap in 8.5 x 11. I save my psd files, I also create a 300 dpi in jpeg. And then there is the web version. I'll keep both the psd and 300 dpi jpeg forever. About once a year, or whenever I think of it, I'll trash the web version.

I've been a digi-scrapper since 2006 using Photoshop. A few years into it, I was convinced that I needed to trash my psd files because they were taking up too much room. So I did and I regret it to this day. Many of those were heritage layouts, and I could have added / changed info on them if I had the original psd. Like so many people here have said, memory is cheap, get an EHD for your psd files if you are running out of space.

18. Psychozoe

Psychozoe Well-Known Member

After im satisfied with my psd or tiff, i save a 12x12 300 res original
    save for web 500x500
    save for web 600x600

i dont save my psds. only once or twice in 9 years doing digi have i regretted it. If I were on a CT, however..I would save them for a little while

19. sakura-panda

sakura-panda Well-Known Member

I scrap 12x12, 300 ppi.

I save the *.psd, *.jpg (flatten layers and save), and *_600.jpg (flatten layers, resize to 600 pixels and save). They all go into different directories. I copy the smaller versions to a directory called "All Pages" and use those to sort for my albums. The larger ones are copied to another directory for printing. Those I delete as I print, but the original saved files are left alone.

I have not been printing as I went along; I started digi-scrapping in 2005 and I am wrapping up my 2005 album now, so I haven't yet gotten to where my pages are all printed. I save all the PSDs because I don't notice some typos until after they are printed and I like having the option of fixing and reprinting.

(I guess this is where I mention that I digi-scrap chronologically, usually from most recent to oldest, and I paper-scrap chronologically oldest to most recent, and they are only now starting to overlap. Just to keep things confusing, I Project-Life-App-scrap chronologically from whatever is the oldest photos on my phone -- currently 2016 -- to the most recent. I get a lot of use out of that directory that has all the layouts together in true chronological order!)

20. LeeAndra

LeeAndra A total Betty.

I like to live on the wild side & the only file I keep permanently is a 12x12 300 DPI JPG.

I save a temporary layered TIFF of my page to my hard drive if I don't finish in one sitting. I save a temporary 700x700 72 DPI to upload to galleries. I delete both within a week or two.