Houses in Trees | Pad Patter 8.24

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by bellbird, Aug 24, 2019.

1. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

My fave lifestyle kind of shows at the moment is The Treehouse Guys and we're probably only getting season 1 now but it speaks to the kid in me that was happy to rent Swiss Family Robinson on video for weeks back to back. They all just look magical even as an adult (although i start thinking practically about creepy crawlies in there and the convenience of electricity and plumbing and all, and it takes some of the wonder out of it).
    We didn't have a treehouse or anything apart from a standard metal swingset in the yard as kids or have any climb-able trees (just really tall straight gum trees at the first house and then nothing but new estate cleared lot in the second house so it may be part of my fascination with them but the cubby house on stilts that was in our backyard here was used a lot when my kids were little and was an added bonus in buying this house (the kids really didn't want to leave the open house inspection and we came back several times to see it-it's been recycled in to garden trellis and framework stuff now). DS will still make blanket forts to this day but outgrew the cubby physically and is just as freaked about spiders as me so there endeth the backyard treehouse and cubby stage for us.

So did you ever have or want a treehouse or cubby house?
    [​IMG]
    (aside - you may have noticed by now i have this thing where i can't seem to use the obvious name of a thread or page for the title - just can't - one of my quirks)

Last edited: Aug 24, 2019
  2. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

Never had the desire to have one. The first house we lived in when I was a child was a rental so even though it had a tree, we couldn't do a treehouse. Then my parents built the only other house I have lived in with them and there were no trees at all. At one time it was farm land. And the trees they planted are not good tree house trees even when they got large enough.

I do enjoy watching a show called Treehouse Masters on Animal Planet once in a time. The guy that builds them has a place outside of Seattle called Treehouse Point where you can stay in a treehouse that has all the amenities. That would be my kind of treehouse!

bellbird likes this.
  3. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

When I was little, we never really lived anywhere long enough to build a tree house, but I do love them. Our next door neighbors had one years and years ago, and the kids would play there all the time. After they moved, it just wasn't maintained and eventually the new neighbors tore it down. We have lots of trees, none really suitable for a tree house. There is a place close to here that rents a tree house cabin that even has a little patio with a hot tub.
    [​IMG]

4. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

Our backyard's swing set has a "fort" thing at the top. Our yard's trees could barely support a birdhouse, let alone a tree house lol, so that's as close as my kids can get to a tree house.

When I was a kid my cousins had a tree house. They lived on like 5 acres and it was all wooded--big, beautiful trees. The tree house wasn't anything special (no hot tub like that place, Jan @IntenseMagic lol!), but it was magical to us kids. :)

bellbird and IntenseMagic like this.
  5. QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom I'll never run out of things to do!

Oh, I love Treehouse Masters! My sisters and I always wanted to have a treehouse, so much that when we were locating we made our parents look at houses that had trees large enough for a house! They ended up buying a new build that it - and the entire neighborhood - had nothing but dirt! The only trees in sight were on the hills. It was a sad day for us.

Fast forward to the house I currently live in. It was PERFECT for a treehouse, except the arborist said the tree would split apart in less than 5 years unless it was cabled or taken down. Since the cabling would cost just as much as removal we had it removed. So, still no treehouse!

bellbird likes this.
  6. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

I always thought a tree house would be cool. Our yard growing up was pretty bare, but just across the fence line of the farmland behind us were 2 huge, old maple trees. They did not have branches suitable for building, but we climbed and played in those trees all the time.

Our local science museum built a huge treehouse play area - but after my kids grew up. That would have been fun.

Our current yard has many trees but they are mostly very tall and branches only at the top pines.

bellbird likes this.
  7. Pachimac

Pachimac Give me all the cliché Christmas movies

I love the show, but I never wanted a treehouse. I was a weird kid - I never wanted any hide outs. I stayed in the air conditioning eating snacks and reading books about adventure! LOL

bellbird likes this.
  8. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

I always wanted a treehouse. When the grandkids were younger, we had a huge backyard that backed up to the woods and my husband built them a treehouse. I even used to go up there with them. It was wonderful!!

bellbird likes this.
  9. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

Oh yes, I love alternative housing of all types - tiny houses, shipping container houses, yurts, treehouses, etc. I never really wanted to live in a treehouse, but I did fantasize about living in the "playhouse" that I had growing up.

Basically, there was a shed (that is my mom's art studio now), and then behind it was a greenhouse. My mom had the greenhouse built with walls and windows (reclaimed) and put down a brick floor. There was even an "upstairs" with a latter (basically just a raised platform) and underneath was just extra wood and such. The upstairs was our bedroom (my first cousin lived next door). We also had the Barbie Dream House up there with all the Barbie stuff.

My mom got new furniture and a color TV, so the playhouse got the black vinyl chair and couch, along with the B&W tv. I can remember coming home from school and watching Tom & Jerry in the afternoons.

We had a Easy Bake oven that was in the "kitchen" and we had a dining room. At one point, we thought it would be cool to have a bathroom and so we hung up old curtains around the bucket but um, the smell totally shot that idea down quite quickly. LOL

Anyway, my cousin and I, as we grew older, well, it was still a great place to be away from the eyes and ears of parents, and we definitely wanted to spend the night out there. Until my mom talked about the wood rats that were living under the wood pile that would come out at night . . . LOL . . . squeamish bunch we were!

bellbird and BevG like this.
  10. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

That's a fun show to watch- sooooo creative! I always imagine getting to be the one to decorate the inside! Never had a tree house- but a "fort" under a tree instead. It was for the neighborhood kids. We usually got into a lot of trouble because of it. lol. There is a place near us I'd LOVE to visit for a getaway: check it out!

11. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

You need to check out the CNBC show "Cash Pad". A former bachelorette (JoJo Fletcher) and her fiance (Jordan Rogers) are into fixing up places for short term rentals (AirBNB is a sponsor of the show). One of the properties they did was a shipping container in someone's back yard! Looked awesome when they were done. They have so far also done a small cottage, a warehouse, an Airstream trailer and a bank building. Except for the cottage, all very unusual. I don't think a tree house is on the schedule though :)

gonewiththewind and bellbird like this.
  12. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

I would love it... if it had all the modern amenities! :giggle

bellbird and busywoman139 like this.
  13. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I never had a tree house as a kid, but I definitely spent a LOT of time climbing in trees around our house. I would take a book up with me a read in any random comfortable nook I could find. I was never afraid of heights and would climb rather high most of the time. :giggle We also had a big old barn. One side was a hay loft, full of hay for our horses, so we'd rearrange the hay bales into rooms and make forts up there. Then there was a smaller loft on the other side that did have much in it, so I actually took a cot up there and made a little apartment/fort up there sometimes too. I would even sleep up there sometimes and all of our barn cats would love to snuggle in and keep me warm. :agree Writing this, I realize I had a great childhood. :)

bellbird likes this.
  14. LeeAndra

LeeAndra A total Betty.

Never had one and wouldn't want to live in one all the time but it would be cool to rent one for a long weekend.