Hobbies, Crafts, and Art Supplies | Pad Patter 06.03.23

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by ArmyGrl, Jun 3, 2023.

1. ArmyGrl

ArmyGrl Merlot, Cab, Chard, Reisling - all 4 food groups!

I am going to buy watercolor paints in the coming week. I'll be watching a few tutorials to figure out should I get pan watercolors or tube watercolors (leaning towards pan at the moment) and which brand. I'll likely go with a mid-line student grade quality since I'm a newbie to watercolors.

I also want to buy a speed ball carving set along with some rubber blocks. I've wanted to carve my own stamps for quite some time and I'm gonna give it a go.

And a third thing I will likely invest in is a nice set of drafting pencils (mechanical pencils). I am on the fence for this one because my favorite mechanical pencil is a Skillcraft brand, 0.5mm HB lead. But I've been drawing more and understand why different leads (soft vs hard) are warranted. I have two nice sets of wood pencils with different leads, but I prefer mechanical pencils. So I'll either buy a box of the Skillcraft mechanical pencils and different lead refills or a mechanical pencil set.

This brings up the questions:

What are your favorite hobby, craft, and art supplies (other than Photoshop/PSE digital scrapbooking :P)?

Is there any craft or art supply you bought that you now regret?

For me, a favorite purchase was the Gel Press plate. I enjoy making my own stencils from cereal box card board and sticky back foam. At the moment, my favorite acrylic paints are Master's Touch from Hobby Lobby (nice and buttery and a reasonable price). I greatly enjoy the process of gel printing and getting those solid blocks of color (or imprints from stencils) onto paper. I use sulfite paper and tissue paper...then adhere those in a collage fashion to a sturdier paper like Bristol or watercolor paper. I followed the trend of getting deli paper for gel press printing...but I prefer tissue paper. Deli is stronger, but not as transparent as the tissue paper.

Other art supplies I am happy to have in my stash are:
    Super thick Sharpie paint pens in white and black
    Posca Markers (water based paint pens)
    Colored Pencils/pencil crayons
    Simple wax crayons (Crayola)
    Oil Pastels
    Gelatos
    Stamps/stamp pads
    Watercolor pencils and crayons
    Modeling paste (for adding dimension when working with acrylics)
    Gesso (white and black)
    I like Mod Podge, Gel Matte, and glue sticks (prefer Elmer's glue sticks over UHU)
    A kneadable eraser (truly an amazing eraser - fantastic purchase - worth it if you like lead based drawing)

The one thing I regret buying is alcohol inks. I love the art form (when others do it). But it takes a lot of patience and my craft room does not get enough ventilation to work with open alcohol inks. The alcohol inks are not cheap either. So, I definitely regret buying the alcohol inks as I will not be sticking with that art form. I'd have to buy a respirator to keep myself safe...and I'm not going to do that.

I am on the fence with some Liqutex fluid acrylics I bought (got em when they were buy two get one free). The colors and quality are fabulous. But I am finding I don't like working with fluid acrylics as much regular, out of the tube, buttery acrylics. As I mentioned, I love the gel press...and the fluid acrylics are not the right texture for that process (they don't cover the gel press, they bead up).

As you can possibly tell from this thread, I LOVE art supplies and have lots. I suppose my biggest barrier to getting really good at any art form is wanting to do them all! Ha, ha, ha! But you never know what you are going to enjoy and stick with, unless you try. Watercolor is going to my next venture. I've waited some time because I feel one needs to have a little bit of drawing skill before doing watercolor.

But seriously, I'd love to know what your favorite craft and art supplies are! And if you regret an art/craft supply purchase and why?

Last edited: Jun 3, 2023
  2. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

Oh, a girl after my own heart! I haven't purchased art supplies in a long time simply because I am forcing myself to use what I've already purchased before moving on to new supplies.

I honestly don't regret any art supply purchase. You never know if you are going to like something or not, so I always say give it a try if your budget allows. I try to pass along art supplies if there's something I have that I know I am not going to continue using.

My favorite drawer in my art supply dresser is the watercolor drawer. I use a glass deviled egg serving dish as the wells are perfect for adding colors. I also have another glass piece that I think is a chopsticks holder or a name plate holder that I use to hold my brush. I have a set of Daler Rowney watercolor brushes, but I also have a couple of sets of water brushes (one is from Vicki Boutin) that I like to use as well. I have a set of Kuretake pan watercolors as well as a set of ShinHan Professional watercolors that are in tubes. I have a metal palette for those or I can use the egg serving dish. I absolutely love combining the water brushes with Peerless watercolor booklets. It's great for plein air painting. I have a Koi watercolor field sketch box as well that works great with the water brushes. I have some cheap watercolor sets from Michael's for doing coloring.

I have graphite pencils in a variety of sizes, as well as a mechanical pencil from Pentel that uses 0.5 mm lead. I love it because it's pink! I have markers and gel pens and highlighters.

I also have a set of Dr. Ph Martin's Bombay inks as well as some glitter inks from Brea Reese. I used those a lot when I was creating for Inktober.

After looking through all my supplies, I have a little itch to create. Alas! I have other things to work on right now!

3. tkradtke

tkradtke Professional Brainstormer

What are your favorite hobby, craft, and art supplies (other than Photoshop/PSE digital scrapbooking :P)?
    Yarn... I love yarn lol! I crochet as a hobby... I don't do anything fancy, but I love that I can do it while watching tv. I just bought some gorgeous hand dyed yarn to up my game... but I'm scared to use it! I feel like I need to have a really special project in mind before I start working with it!

My daughter talked me into a Cricut a few years ago and I have used it exactly once. I know people love theirs but I just haven't found a reason to use it.

4. umyesh

umyesh President of the Hangry Ladies Supper Club

I love Sharpies permanent markers. All the different colors make me happy!

Sometimes I regret buying a sewing machine because I bought a super expensive one and should've just bought a cheap one because it rarely gets used lol

5. LoveItScrapIt

LoveItScrapIt I'm a poet, and everyone knows it!

Colored pencils. I'm into adult coloring and love just sitting down at my desk coloring the day away on a Sunday. It's so calming and relaxing and I love all the colors I get to use. I have one set of cheap alcohol markers for coloring too, and I don't like using those as much. I have 3 sets of colored pencils. I've got the "professional" Prisma and love the way they lay down in my books. I also have some cheap Kalour's that are very similar to Prisma, but not quite...and I can tell. I have a regular color set of those and a pastel set of them. I use these more, just because I color so much and I don't want to "waste" the Prismas since they are expensive. lol
    I also buy notebooks, pens and journals a LOT. I use them for everything and love pretty covered ones. Especially for writing my poetry.

I guess those alcohol markers. I have tried them but I like colored pencils better. I'm glad they weren't super expensive.

6. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

I sold and gave away all my scrap supplies but I used to love coloring with copics and colored pencils. I had a very large set of every color imaginable. Stamping and coloring were so much fun and relaxing. Watercolor stamping was fun too.

I never regretted any mixed media supplies I bought but I did regret buying a sewing machine that cost a fortune and then I only used it a handful of times. I just didn't have the patience for it.

You are so creative and sounds like you've got a great stash.

LoveItScrapIt likes this.
  7. ArmyGrl

Oh no....I just took a peek at the Peerless booklets....:beat

gonewiththewind likes this.
  8. ArmyGrl

I have one from over 10 years ago. I loved making whimsical crafts and little party favors for work. It's collecting dust now. I want to improve hand-eye coordination and dexterity in my hands...so any paper cutting project these days is cut by hand. I do love the new machines though - such a professional look to the die cutting.

9. ArmyGrl

I've stayed clear of alcohol markers. I'm with ya on the color pencils too - they are incredibly yummy! I know we both love gel pens too :heartlub

10. ArmyGrl

A sewing machine is in my future. Some years back I bought a $90 machine from Walmart. The insides (gears etc.) are made of plastic. The machine may work with fabric...I got it to stitch on paper. I love the look of stitches on paper. The sewing machine is not tough enough for paper....the needle gets off sync with the bobber...and it takes about an hour for me to take the entire machine apart to get the belt (controlling the needle) back online with the bobber. It's such a hassle I don't use it. So I guess I could add that to my regret pile too :oops:

11. ArmyGrl

Thats such a lovely and useful hobby to have! I have a feeling crochet will be added my list in the future :heartlub

12. dawnmarch

dawnmarch Actually, no. You are not funny!

I tend to go from craft to craft so I do have a fabulous Viking sewing mach8ne from my quilting days. I need to get back to that.
    For my planners, I use my silhouette constantly as well as colored pencils and markers. I do some painting but haven’t really stuck with that so I have some random watercolors and acrylics around.

ArmyGrl likes this.
  13. Angela Toucan

Angela Toucan I keep looking for THAT wardrobe

I have pan and tube watercolours. I prefer pan when I'm out and about, but tubes when playing at home. Have fun with yours when you get them. I used to love playing with my gelli plate, but haven't got it out recently. My preference in physical art is mixed media, and collage.

14. tkradtke

tkradtke Professional Brainstormer

See... I think that's what got us started on wanting one. She was still in high school and there were always fun party favor type things to make. We talked ourselves into getting it during the height of the lockdowns thinking it would be something fun to play with... but then it was a pandemic, so not a lot of party favors to be made :giggle

15. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

Ok... first of all... I wish I lived near you Lisa! I think we'd get along smashingly and could talk about art supplies and hobbies and craft projects for eons and never get bored. :giggle

I am super lucky and have a huge "craft room" in my basement, which is good and bad. I love that it's out of sight, so my hubby doesn't see all my messes laid out over several tables when I'm in the middle of many projects, but it's also bad because I have the room to store so much stuff! :giggle I will say though that I use almost everything I own at least once a year. I do a lot of creative projects and I love having a varied stash of goodies to play with! Lol.

So my favorite hobbies aside from digi-scrapping right now is art journaling and also, funny that you mention it, I just learned how to carve blocks with the speedball cutters a couple of months ago. I've carved lots of the rubber blocks (bought some speedball and some generic on Amazon) and those are definitely the easiest to carve. The process of tracing a design and re-tracing with a permanent pen and then carving is so relaxing to me! I also bought some linoleum sheets and blocks to try carving those too. That is harder to carve, but you can get much finer lines in the lino than the rubber, so they both have their purposes. I also bought one tube of waterproof ink to try printing with so I could print the lines and then paint over with watercolors to fill areas in. I just framed one little print this weekend.

I also love to crochet (in the cold months) and I paint with acrylics and used to paint with oils. I used to do stained glass and really want to get back into that because I have a half finish lamp shade that I really want to finish. I quit when I had kids because it was too dangerous to leave out and I just didn't have time when they were little and once it was packed away, it was harder to drag it all back out.

The one craft supply that I completely regret buying was the dylusions ink sprays when I was getting into art journaling. They are pretty and bold colors, but you cannot paint over them. They bleed through every single layer no matter what I do and no matter how long they dry between coats. So now I have about 12 of those bottles just sitting there. Lol. I ruined several good projects before I realized they just weren't going to work the way I wanted them to.

I have also dabbled in watercolors. I have tried liquid (they works but don't seem to age well), I done the pan sets, but my favorite is a set of tubes of watercolor I bought on amazon. You buy an empty pan set and squirt a bit from the tube into the pan and let it completely dry, essentially making your own pan set. Those have the best colors that I own and don't have bits of grit in them like some of the other purchased pan sets I've tried.

Oh and I love woodworking too! Soooo many hobbies. :giggle

16. Memaw2Wm

Memaw2Wm Well-Known Member

After a nearly 30 year break, I'm starting to cross stitch again. I have a zillion counted cross stitch patterns, along with a number of unfinished projects. I stopped cross-stitching when my grandkids were born ... there just wasn't enough time or space for me to stitch or keep my projects laying out.

Youngest grandkid will be graduating high school on Wednesday and is talking about moving out to live with his older brother (10 years older). If he does, I'll get my office back. :)

gonewiththewind and Karen like this.
  17. gonewiththewind

Yay for cross stitch! I've been really limited lately on when I'm on the computer (or not) and cross stitch has kept my mind and hands busy while I'm resting in my recliner. I have finished all my WIPs and I'm determined to finish and start a project before beginning another one. Right now, I'm doing a sampler with a scripture and honeycomb/bees/flowers after completing my largest project yet, which was a full coverage piece. Oh wait. In between, I did a small iris watercolor too. Thank goodness for having multiple hobbies!

Memaw2Wm likes this.
  18. gonewiththewind

Right? They are marvelous. You can punch out a shape from the strip and then make your own palette/booklet from those without getting the entire set wet.

19. Nemla

Nemla Stretching my skill set

Oh dont get me started..
    I love Art supplies. One quick thing about watercolours, if you are going for student grade,still get the best of them. Like Cotman from Windsor and Newton,or the sminke student range,any thing else will end up frustrating you,because you have to use to much making it to wet just to get enough pigment on your brush,thereby ruining your paper.
    And talking about paper,get the best you can afford... paper is everything, I learned the hard way. Having said that,it is good to have a cheaper pad (like a Faber castell ) to practice on,and experiment with colour.. and they have 2or 3different types too.
    I love my watercolours,my watercolour pencils,and my pastel pencils. I have 2 sets of graphite drawing pencils with different lead sizes different brands. Both great. And charcoal of course....lol. also inktense pencils... and normal colouring pencils .
    Never tried a mechanical pencil for drawing.
    I love the needed eraser too.
    I do have acrylics ,but they are not my favourite medium.
    I do love the yummy thickness of oils, but I don't have many,would love some more.
    And I don't seem to be able to pass a pad of paper without having to buy it. Alcohol pens I am learning to love....
    And I am thinking hard about buying pan pastels,but so far I have been able to control my self.... so far.... lol
    I will not start on my card making supplies...
    Reading this through I guess I need an intervention.....
    Conclusion I have way to much stuff ,despite giving lots away to charities that does craft projects with kids or the elderly.
    All my quilting stuff went to one of those lately ,apart from the half finished quilt that is in my cupboard...
    So I guess that at is my regret buy . Way to much materials and threads and waddling,for a hobby that after all that ,turned out to be too structured,needing to be too precise ,and the attention to seam width drove me nuts. But I still love a nice quilt.,as long as it is made by someone else.
    Have fun with your watercolours,and your stamp making.....

20. ArmyGrl

Where I live in Missouri, there are quite a few horse farms. From time to time a really nice property with a gorgeous barn goes on sale. I can't afford it...but in my dreams I'd love to buy one of those properties and convert the barn into an art studio. The kind of studio where crafters who love to teach could rent out the barn for a few days and have art retreats. Ahhh....I have such the imagination.

Nemla and Karen like this.