ho ho, no no

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by bellbird, Sep 14, 2019.

Christmas gift packs are available in the shops now! What do you think?

1. Too soon!

36 vote(s)
    92.3%
  2. Not soon enough!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. I've had everything bought and wrapped since Easter!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Other - please explain in comments...

3 vote(s)
    7.7%
  1. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

bwahaha i'd do every 2nd year, i'm not at the point of wanting it every 5 years yet but maybe give me a few years and i might get there ;-) if i hear a Xmas song over the in-store radio system before the end of Oct, it makes my blood boil!

KarenB likes this.
  2. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

i see your point and even as someone that technically doesn't do Halloween (ahem, except for the Bash here that i'm already excited about) or Thanksgiving, having a b'day near the end of Nov., I've been conditioned my whole life that thinking about Xmas can't start til after it! Good luck getting everything ready sooner rather than later this year!

Tree City likes this.
  3. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

It’s too soon for me. I’m just starting to get into sweater weather, shorter daylight hours and the rain. I need to get thru thxgiving first. Then I’ll get going on Xmas stuff.

KarenB and bellbird like this.
  4. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

As far as scrapping goes, I really like the Christmas in July challenges and sale, because I have so many holiday layouts to catch up on . . . and I'm usually hibernating from the heat here, so I can catch up on a few layouts. LOL I also like the Document Your December that comes in November because I can start planning for this year's album.

As far as general stores go, I like when they have sales early so I can purchase Christmas items, but as far as decorations, I'm not really ready for that. I will admit that while I was in Dollar Tree the other day, I picked up a wooden "Merry & Bright" decoration that I am going to paint. Otherwise, I avoided all the Christmas stuff they were already putting out WITH the Halloween and Thanksgiving decorations. LOL

I am planning on doing some handmade items this year, but they aren't Christmas items so I don't really need to find Christmas stuff early.

We don't put up our Christmas decorations until the day after Thanksgiving usually - although we've done it before then or after then if we've been out of town. I really loved when we did it before Thanksgiving because we went out of town and it was so nice to come back to a clean and decorated house. I really enjoyed the season that year!

bellbird and honeyandcheese like this.
  5. QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom I'll never run out of things to do!

I said "too early". But there are exceptions to every rule...

Back when I worked for a non-profit our organization hosted student missions conferences two of every three years which were held between Christmas and New Years. I worked for the media division and we were in charge of producing all the special media presentations for the conference as well as decorate the assembly rooms and all. The official push started September 1 and it didn't end until we unloaded the trucks back at the office on January 2. (We even worked straight through Christmas, although we got Christmas morning off). So, if I didn't have my Christmas shopping done and sent off by September 1, my family would have to wait until January for their presents. Now? I wish every place was like Nordstrom's who doesn't burst out the decorations until Black Friday.

bellbird likes this.
  6. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I am usually in the "too soon" camp, but funny enough I actually went to both Michaels and JoAnns last weekend looking for Christmas paper in the 12x12 section because I wanted to make a little insert for my traveler's notebook to start jotting down ideas for my boys for Christmas. They've both given me a couple good idea recently and since they are teenage boys, they are super hard to think of good ideas for Christmas presents. I didn't want to forget them before Christmas arrived. Anyway, they didn't have much of anything out for Christmas yet and I was shocked that I was actually looking for Christmas paper BEFORE it was out... since I'm usually the one complaining about it all being rushed out in July! :giggle This year I am part of the problem! Lol!

7. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

Too soon. No. I really really dislike it. It bothers me, and takes away from the season. So a money making and commercialized mess.

8. Jan

Jan I'm sorry, I can't. I'm busy doing nothing!

I LOVE the holiday season...which has always started around September for me because I used to make so many of our gifts and such. I do believe in giving each holiday it's special time. But I also appreciate that Christmas things are out early. Being on a limited budget having things out early gives me time to get the things I need without it being so stressful. Plus we live in an area that is very much away from the cities. So traveling to and from is a major planned trip with lots of errands to do on that day. I can't just run to the store to pick up this or that. We do our major shopping once a month and if we make it back to the city or town again in between those time we pick up things we ran out of or forgot to get. Otherwise friends and family who happen to be going to town pick things up for us. We are talking major 2 hour long trips one way to get to the city and 45 minutes to an hour to get to a town. Plus, the roads are going to be slick with ice and snow pretty soon and that will last until February or so. AND the days will be much shorter with it getting dark before 5 PM. So it's a big thing for us. I like that the stores have Christmas and fall things out at the same time. It's just practical up here.

bellbird likes this.
  9. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

@Jan u stated a really good case for keeping Xmas stuff available all year round !

10. LeeAndra

LeeAndra A total Betty.

I love, love, love me some Christmas but September is too soon. I was so proud that I bought the kids' Halloween costumes this week so we'd be ready for next month! :giggle

Once November 1 rolls around, I start listening to Christmas music & watching Hallmark Christmas movies but I don't decorate or do anything Christmas-y until Thanksgiving weekend. My brain & body can't handle more than a month of the way I do Christmas.

bellbird likes this.
  11. Scrapping with Liz

Scrapping with Liz Crafts for days.

Ugh! It just gives me anxiety. Makes me think about all the gifts I need to purchase. I like to push it out of my mind until at least November. This time of year I just want to enjoy the turn of the season and not have to think that far ahead.

12. KarenB

KarenB I like dogs. And maybe three people.

Oh you really made me laugh - every 5 years!!! I am with you :giggle

bellbird and SharLamb like this.