Help! Tech Question

Discussion in 'Scrapping Pad' started by adriablack, Mar 10, 2019.

1. adriablack

adriablack Well-Known Member

Hello! I haven't digi scrapped in about 2 years, but was a semi-regular at the Lilypad prior to that. I recently got back into scrapbooking during Calvinball this month. However, I have discovered a tech issue with some of the items I had purchased here and at some other places. When I was regularly scrapping I had low performance laptop so I was storing all my kits on an external drive. Unfortunately that laptop bit the bullet and I am on a new PC now. But there are several designers' products that appear to be "locked" and so I am not able to use them. Does anyone know a solution to this? They are on the same external drive, just using them on a different PC now, so I'm struggling to understand why they have become locked. I suspect it has to do with making sure that people aren't sharing the files (with others) once downloaded, but I would really like to be able to use the products I have already paid for. Some of the designers I have noticed this issue with are Just Jamie products (which I had quite a few of), Little Butterfly Wings, Paislee Press, Sara Gleason, and Valorie Wibbens. If anyone could help me, I would really appreciate it. Otherwise half my supply stash has been trashed. :(

2. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

Oh no! I've never had that problem, but does this Western Digital page help you? It talks about read-only access as well as folder ownership issues. IDK if your EHD is WD, but maybe that'll get you started or on the right track?

bellbird likes this.
  3. SeattleSheri

SeattleSheri Movers, cleaners, great hair. I'm a socialite!

How frustrating!! Hopefully Sara's link provides some useful info that helps resolve your issue.

I will start by saying I am not a fan of WD products, I've had 2 of their hard-drive's die after very short periods of time, so I won't buy them anymore. Have you tried moving the files to your new computer (vs. accessing them from the EHD)? I would bet money it has something to do with your EHD and not the files you DL'd here.

Good luck, I hope you find a solution!

4. adriablack

Thank you! I'm working on going through the process on the WD page. The external I have is a Seagate but seems to be the same issue. It's just odd to me that only a few designers' products had the issue, so that's why I thought it might be some kind of encryption in their files. I have even (about 6 months when the original laptop died on me) taken this drive to a computer tech to try and get it fixed and he didn't have a clue why he couldn't get it fixed. I'm just frustrated with this issue. Ugh.

5. adriablack

No, unfortunately it won't let me move them, copy/paste them or open them.

6. Tree City

Crossing my fingers you figure it out! Hopefully that link is helpful, or maybe Seagate has a web page with similar info but geared towards their products? Anyway, good luck!

7. adriablack

So I went through the WD and then the Seagate troubleshooting for this issue with no luck. *Sigh* From what I've found it sounds like Windows 7 & 8 encrypted files on their own (why only part my digi stuff is encrypted is still beyond me), and now that I have a new computer using Win 10 it cannot access those files without having the old computer to grant it permission. So utterly frustrating. Be careful anyone who is not yet on Windows 10 with your digi stuff, apparently backups won't save you :(

8. SeattleSheri

SeattleSheri Movers, cleaners, great hair. I'm a socialite!

I did a quick search for "convert read-only files on external hard drive" and found a bunch of different solutions. I don't know what operating system you're on, but I did see several solutions for modifying the permissions. Good luck!

ETA: looks like we were posting at the same time and you've already tried this :(

adriablack and bellbird like this.
  9. Tree City

Oh no! That's so frustrating. I'm sorry! :badputer:throwpc

10. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

just a random thought - do you know anyone with a win 7 or 8 computer to see if you can access your files that way? As to how you’d use them on your machine after that i’m not sure, maybe you would need to resave them so they aren’t encrypted

11. Angela Toucan

Angela Toucan I keep looking for THAT wardrobe

You need to check the share settings on the external drive, it could be set to read only, alternatively some folders on it could be read only. That can happen automatically when using with a different operating system due to the way the operating systems are different. If anything is read only, then simply changing the settings will fix it.

If it's an encryption problem you'll need a Windows techie to help you. I know some but they are in the UK. My husband and his work colleges sorted stuff like that out for me. All my old stuff on the old drive is fully accessible now, but I don't know what they did.

adriablack and bellbird like this.
  12. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

Wanted to say welcome back Andrea and sorry I'm not much help, I haven't heard about this problem before when changing between laptops with different operating systems and different brands of EHDs but I can understand how overwhelmingly frustrating it must be, what a terrible thing to find just as you want to come back to scrapping - i wonder about the read-only settings as well but I would have thought read-only would still allow products to open?? So when you say 'locked', you aren't able to open them at all? They show as thumbnails but you can't open them in your scrapbooking software?

13. carrie1977

carrie1977 Tequila and Taco Tuesday

I have had this happen to me before and, unfortunately, you aren't going to have much luck with recovering those files. I've found that it's mostly an issue with designers that use a Mac. You would have had to change a permission on all those files before even transferring them to the external. :(

14. weaselwatchr

weaselwatchr Viva, Las Vegas!

I have no advice other than I hope you get it sorted out. How frustrating

adriablack likes this.
  15. adriablack

I think it will only work on the old computer, since it was "encrypted" on that computer from what I read. I am going to ask my computer tech one more time about it tomorrow, otherwise it looks like I'm out of luck from what I've read. I actually discovered this issue last year at MOC but didn't really want to deal with it then. I'm not sure if my tech still has the old laptop (he tends to hoard things), so I may be in luck there if he does.

16. adriablack

Thanks for the welcome!

It shows as read only, but it also has a literal lock on the icon. It won't show previews just the general icon with a lock on it. But nothing I have done removes the read only status (even tho all the permissions show as having full control), or the lock status. The odd thing is that the files I had already imported to light room will SOMETIMES open. And any files that I still had zipped (I had a huge downloads folder that hadn't been processed, since I kinda quit suddenly) will unzip and open as normal.

17. adriablack

Ugh! That makes a lot of sense why only a select group of designers are in that status. Unfortunately, they were some of my favorites :( Thank you for your help, nonetheless!

18. adriablack

That seems to be exactly what has happened. They are read only & locked. But nothing I do has been able to resolve it. I have taken it to a tech already once, but he didn't really have any idea how to fix it. He may have the old computer still, so I may try that route tomorrow. Otherwise, I guess I need to go shopping!

Angela Toucan likes this.
  19. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

If it's any help, Laura and the team can reset orders from the past! I've done it when my computer died previously. It was super inexpensive. Just as a possibility if you can't get a workaround!

gonewiththewind and adriablack like this.
  20. DigiGrace

DigiGrace Make mine a purple passion

Andrea @adriablack - Hopefully your tech will have the old computer and will be able to fix the problem.