Help Recoloring ...

Discussion in 'Help Pad' started by KellyM, Nov 17, 2016.

1. KellyM

KellyM Kickin' cancer's butt!

Hey Lilypad friends,
    Wondering what is your favorite or "go-to-method" for recoloring is?
    For example I want to re-color a paper that has a repetitive script on it. I want to change the background from white to off-white and also change the script color. I keep playing with the tolerance to help with my selection but I can't get all of the background or all of the script.
    Any suggestions?
    Thanks! :)

2. Rikki

Rikki Next I'm going to look up naughty limericks

I am extremely lazy when it comes to recoloring. If I can't recolor with a color overlay I usually look for something else to use. But if I really want/have to, I either use a hue/saturation adjustment layer, a color adjustment layer with blendmode color, match color or replace color.

In your case I would probably give a hue/saturation adjustment layer a try, but I am by no means a recoloring expert.

scrappyjedi, KellyM and cfile like this.
  3. klee73010

klee73010 I might have a thing for drummers

maybe color styles might help? I'm sure you'd have to do selections, clipping masks, blend modes, or combinations of these... i like to do bucket fills/color overlays with clipping masks and change opacity and blend modes of layers, too.

KellyM likes this.
  4. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

grab a paper you like and put on top and try your blend modes...you can just make a layer above fill with color of choice and blend on! woot

fruitysuet, KellyM and cfile like this.
  5. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

I think your best bet might be do a replace color adjustment layer and select your background to change the color and then select the text color and change the color, being sure to increase the saturation as that is often needed.

bestcee and KellyM like this.
  6. KellyM

Great ideas! Thanks sweet friends! :)

7. KellyM

Just tried your trick an love it @AnneofAlamo - what are your go to blend modes??? :)

cfile likes this.
  8. AnneofAlamo

I use mulitply and lighten the most, followed by overlay...but you can also play with the opacity to get a truer color, and I will stack and use different blends, under over, I am a bit wacky with playing. lol

cfile likes this.
  9. AnneofAlamo

I did a tutorial long ago, I will try and find it. We are in the middle of remodeling, and I am taking a break..lol

10. KellyM

11. KellyM