Help! Old photos make me sad!

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by dawnmarch, Apr 8, 2017.

1. dawnmarch

dawnmarch Actually, no. You are not funny!

So, I've been a digital scrapper since 2006 and even though I've scrapped pretty consistently during that time, I have huge gaps in scrapping the years my kids have been growing up. Now that my kids are teens and I'm taking fewer photos, I want to go back and scrap some of those older photos. But I was looking at some the other night and they make me so sad! I want those little kids back!

How in the world am I going to scrap those if looking at them makes me feel so nostalgic and emotional?

Anyone else feel this way? Do I need to get a grip? :D

2. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

Ah, I feel your sadness, but I am also happy they are who they are now. Enjoy the good times. And yes, oh yes, some times when they are hurting now, I wish they were those little kids again.

3. AliSarah

AliSarah Oh great. Now I have pixie dust in my hair!

I think once you get through the first couple of pages, you'll find that the emotions settle down a bit. It's so hard when they are teenagers to look back at their tiny cuteness and think about how sweet they were without wishing you could go back to those (presumably) simpler times! But, once you get into the swing of the task, it gets easier as it goes!! :D

Huggles!!
    ~Sarah~

enjoyyourpix likes this.
  4. dawnmarch

Exactly!

This is encouraging! Thanks Sarah! I've never really been one to dwell on the "good old days" - I'm more of a live-in-the-present kinda person, so perhaps that's part of it. I think you are right that some of the emotional whammy of the photos would subside if I worked with them more.

AliSarah and enjoyyourpix like this.
  5. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

Yes, I totally understand. I look thru some of my old photos when the kids were little and so many memories flood to the surface. It's ok to feel those emotions and I bet as you scrap with them, they will make you smile too!

6. djp332

djp332 She sells seashells down by the seashore

I think I'm the only one who doesn't want that back. My oldest turns 32 today and she still lives at home and has except for 1.5 years that she lived with her BF and then another 4 months that she was married to him. I just want to be an empty nester! I don't think that is too much to ask for.

bestcee and AliSarah like this.
  7. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

You are not alone :) I don't want to go back either. I do miss my older kids at home sometimes, but I love my adult children! Plus I still have an 11 year old at home. I feel like I've been raising kids forever!! By the time he is out of the house, I will be 60+ and I have to say that I do in many ways look forward to empty nest times. I have loved them at every stage, but having a grand baby around from time to time reminds me that I do not want to go back to having little ones all the time.

When I started scrapping in 2006, my older two were 15 and 11. I have so much of their younger days left to catch up on. It does make me a little nostalgic sometimes, but more often I just smile or laugh recalling some of our adventures when they were little. I think had I been scrapping their little photos when they were teens I might have been a little more emotional, just because the teen years are HARD!

djp332 likes this.
  8. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

I have done a bit of this recently, and admittedly, I'm an emotional creature anyway . . . but I had a few sniffles looking through photos. I did have more than a few giggles, too! What helped me get over the emotional crying part was thinking about how grateful I was that I had all of the photos, and that I now have time to scrap them. It's like a gift. I used to fret about how many unscrapped photos I have. Now I'm just grateful to have them . . . I think I have guaranteed scrapping material for the rest of my life! LOL Sending ((HUGS)) to you and hoping that you find the best way for you to navigate through all those precious memories!

LoveItScrapIt likes this.
  9. LeeAndra

LeeAndra A total Betty.

So it's not the same thing but I feel that way when I look at photos of my ex-stepdaughters.

I'm still in contact with them via Facebook but I was only part of their lives for four short years. They are all now grown young women with lives of their own, and I'm so proud of who they've become but also so sad that I missed out on so much of their lives because of their biology & because their dad and I split up.

I scrapped most of their photos from before I met them & when I was with their dad but they're just sitting on my EHD. I'm contemplating printing albums for them for this upcoming Christmas & hoping that gives me some 'closure' as it were on that painful & bittersweet time of my life (and of theirs).

10. berniek

berniek I have a girl crush on the Naming Fairy

So, talk about it with her. At 32 it is absolutely time to not live with your parents anymore and both of you must be feeling this "I want my own life" kinda thing. Why doesn't she live on her own? Are there financial or other reasons for that?

I was 25 when I finally moved out (had lived elsewhere over time but always went back) and I was definitely READY. I had to wait for a rental in my price range to open up and that took about 1,5 years. I feel like I was way too old to live at home, especially after living elsewhere for two years prior (first in Rotterdam for an internship, then in Canada when I finished my education) but I just had to wait and slowly move up that list of rentals.

My cousin is also 32 right now and still living with his parents. I know my aunt and uncle really want to be empty nesters too, just like you. His reason to not move out is, he wants to buy a house and not rent. However, he cannot buy a house right now because he doesn't have the right contract work wise. Also it's ridiculous he doesn't want to rent, his parents have rented the house they live in for tens of years before they bought it. He's basically saying his parents did the wrong thing. It's also ridiculous because he has be working and earning money for years, so he definitely could afford to rent his own place. He just doesn't want to. Ugh.

11. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

As Jan has mentioned, you're not alone. My kids are still young, but looking at DD's baby photos makes me cry because it was a horrible time.
    Long story short: I have no problem imagining my kids growing up and moving out. Photos of DD and DS as babies make my ovaries high-five each other in relief: "That horrible time is over! Now for the fun part!" Well, maybe not "fun," but "less sleep-deprived" part. Cuz who knew your Saturday could be double-booked for children's birthday parties?!
    Maybe the issue is that parenting has become so intensive.
    But this is a thread about missing babyhood. I do understand (even if I completely disagree lol). Babies, in all their drooling, blobby cuteness, represent all of the wonderful possibilities a human can have. And you can dress them how you want!

12. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

oh i so so get this. I am trying to make a book for each child...highlights of their lives from adoption to them flying the nest. It is supposed to be Christmas, and I blubber thru each page. I send it to my hubby and we cry together. lol then hug and talk about those fun times..and my hubs always ends it with...see we are good parents. bhahhaha

funny story to add. last night my almost 21 year old son and gorgeous pregnant bride were over helping us put together patio furniture. He was on the ground, and his shirt rode up...(now he is skinny) but seeing his pink back and underwear....I wanted to tickle him and pull his underwear! lol I told his wife, and we laughed...she did it for me...and funny thing, he looked at me and smiled. Don't have a picture to scrap, but a new memory to cherish.

LoveItScrapIt, Karen, bestcee and 2 others like this.
  13. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

No no no...I never want to change a diaper in my life again! or have those sleepless nights when I feel like I'm walking under water in the daytime. I like my adult children a lot! but the price is going through those teenage years. They can be tremendous fun but they can also be heart clenching times.

Tree City likes this.
  14. dawnmarch

You guys make good points about how hard it was when the kids were small. So maybe the strategy - when I look at the old photos - is also to try to keep in my mind what a pain it was having kids at that age too! The costs of daycare/sitters (since we both work and have no family in town), having to do EVERYTHING for them from diapers to making every meal to driving them everywhere, baths, etc. I really love having teens - mine are actually helpful around here! Maybe that'll help slap me out of the rose-colored-glasses nostalgia. :D

LoveItScrapIt, bestcee and Tree City like this.
  15. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

As much as I don't have the same feelings you have lol, I do think it's great that you're able to see those years in that light. Maybe in another decade (or 5 rotfl), then I'll be able to see it the same way. :)

16. Juliestcyr

Juliestcyr Grammar nerd and proud of it

Oh, @dawnmarch . My girls are 11 & 9. Also, I am technically their "step-mom" but there mom only sees them a couple times a year, so, I'm their mom. But it also means that I only really arrived on the scene when they were 2 & 4. I think that does change my perspective. I used to look forward to my kids getting older. I really wanted them to be able to read indepedently. I loved it when they were old enough to come home on their own after school. But, now that the oldest is turning 12 in a month, and will be starting high school in September, I am a mess. (Also, high school starting in Grade 7 is a new thing in our area. Which is also I think part of why I'm freaking out.) I see old photos in my FB feed, and want to yell, "where has the time gone!", "but they're just babies!!" So no, you are not weird. Thank you for talking about this, because it makes me feel less weird.
    Also, as a pretty new scrapper. The way I'm dealing with these old photos, is #Throwback layouts. So, a photo from May 15, 2011 gets put in the spot for May 15 in the 2017 book, but with the #Throwback tag on it.

LoveItScrapIt and StefanieS like this.
  17. LynnG

LynnG Designer

I can so relate!! I keep thinking "we should have recorded more video when they were little" but the reality is I can't watch it because it makes me sad BUT working with these things is different I think. I love making layouts with older photos and it makes me nostalgic but not sad. I should try editing the video and that will probably be the same with that. So give it ago and, as others have said, hopefully you'll be surprised that you don't get too sad and morose! :-)

18. Sokee

Sokee What we do in life echoes in eternity

My oldest will turn 30 in a few months (how did that happen!!!?) and my youngest is turning 18 this month. I love being an almost empty nester!! The only time I get sad is when times goes by when I don't see or hear from them. Then I always ask myself 'don't I matter to them!!? My daughter is expecting her first baby so I will get to enjoy that!!!

19. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I have moments when I scrap older photos that make me sad. But, I also look around the photos - the mess on the floor, the bottles, the sippy cups, the car seats, the diapers. And I think about how I loved the little years, and the memories. But I'm so glad I don't have to wipe anyone's butt at this point! Being able to scrap a photo lets me enjoy that moment, without having to do the messy stuff again.

Now, ask me again in a few years when I have a sullen teenager and my answer might be straight tears! But I hope I appreciate being able to go the bathroom by myself still.

20. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

Just yesterday while organizing photos, I stumbled across some OLD videos that my husband transferred from our camcorder TAPES to digital. It was when my boys were 2 and 4 at Christmas and then also my son's 3rd birthday. It was the sweetest thing ever to hear them talking with their cute baby voices, but I can totally see their personalities are the same then as they are now at 11 and 13. I'm not a crier usually, so I didn't get weepy, just smiled and smiled and couldn't tear myself away from watching. :) As someone else said, just be thankful you have all those older photos and enjoy them while you have them at home!

Tree City and LoveItScrapIt like this.