Hair issues | Pad Patter 2.8.17

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by scrapsandsass, Feb 8, 2017.

1. scrapsandsass

scrapsandsass Oh Ricky you're so fine ...

So... do you take care of your own hair (cut and/or color [if you do that]), or do you have a stylist? If you outsource :-)giggle) do you go to the same stylist every time? Do you ever have hair regrets or instances where your stylist has an "off" day? If so, what do you do?

I have been really sick for the past couple of months. I needed to get my hair done (desperately), but I waited until I could get into the woman I normally see. She is kind of flaky, but she normally does a good job. This time, however, it was an "off" day for her. I had a foil done to put some brighter blonde back into my hair. For some reason, it came out really really yellow even though it is the same process as every other time. And she gave me a bad cut. Like it is almost mullet-like. I didn't really realize it until I got home, but I didn't really want to go back and complain either. I thought maybe when I washed it, things would balance out (as far as color). It didn't. I took my grandma to get her hair done, and she was telling her stylist how awful my hair turned out (thanks, grandma), so Lee said that I should just put a toner on it (which made sense in my mind). I went to Sally's Beauty supply and got a toner, followed the instructions, and it didn't really help the situation, but sort of bleached everything out and looks weird in a different way. Ugh. Part of me wonders if it could be a strange reaction to medication that I'm taking (because it has caused the rest of my system to go in upheaval as well). But now I have icky hair until it grows out. Bah.

Have you had any bad hair experiences lately? What do you do??

MrsPeel, LoveItScrapIt and jesskab like this.
  2. jesskab

jesskab Watch me sizzle & twizzle

@scrapsandsass I wouldn't be surprised if it's the medication. One time I was so excited to get off work early cuz it gave me time to get my hair colored. After all that time in the chair, my white streak was not colored at all. I was so upset. They said I could go back for free, but I did not have one bit of time to do that. I always do my own since. Makes no sense to me to pay 6x as much & not get what I want. My white streak is resistant, but Garnier does the job just fine.

**I embraced that white streak in a layout this week. I hardly ever let it show, but I haven't done my hair in awhile.**
    https://the-lilypad.com/forum/galleries/i-3-shopping.290512/

MrsPeel and scrapsandsass like this.
  3. dawnmarch

dawnmarch Actually, no. You are not funny!

I hate going to the salon so I try to do as much myself as I can. I started getting grey hairs in my 20s and so had highlights at a salon for years. It was so liberating when I started getting even more grey and finally decided to just color the whole thing myself with one color. Given the cost of a cut and color every 6 weeks, I figure I'm saving about $1000 per year too!

I do go get it cut at a salon but I have a relatively easy cut. Just long layers and side swept bangs so I go to a local cheap place and just take my chances with whoever is there. :D

I've never really had any coloring disasters but I do think that medicine can affect your color. My stepmom - who has naturally white-blonde hair had her hair turn practically green one time when she was on medication.

scrapsandsass and jesskab like this.
  4. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

I go to the same guy and have for the past ten years. He cuts brilliantly even though when I walk out I feel yucky. By the next day when I use my own volumising products and blow dry it the way I like it, it looks like me again. I don't colour my hair, I have very few sparkles and quite frankly feel I have earned every single one of them.

Iowan and scrapsandsass like this.
  5. mollyc

mollyc PrettyPinkPicturesPlease

I have had bad cuts and colors and gone back to the stylists to have them re-do them. Most stylists would rather fix you and have you be happy than to lose a customer.

I do go to the same stylist. I tried for awhile going to the Hair Cuttery that is close to me but it was always a different person every time I went in, so cuts and colors were never consistent. I don't go very often, because I get my hair highlighted very close to natural color (enough to brighten it, but not so much that roots are terrible) and my cut is just long layers.

cfile and scrapsandsass like this.
  6. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

I just go to the chain haircut store near me. :) I'm a wash and wear easygoing sort of person. And I like my gray hairs. I don't plan to ever color my hair. I have fun watching my daughter color her hair though! First time, she made her hair a rainbow.

For several years I've been following a routine of cutting my hair every September so it will grow long through the cold half of the year and then in the summer I can put it up in a ponytail or clip all the time. But last summer I got tired of that look and was really happy with how it looked in September when I cut it chin length, so I was thinking of keeping it chin length all year. But I haven't gotten around to going back yet. :giggle

scrapsandsass likes this.
  7. scrappydonna

scrappydonna Blah blah blah

fortunately, i have a stylist friend who comes here in our house to cut my hair :clap so far, i haven't had my hair colored since.... a decade?? :giggle:giggle:giggle though i want to! maybe this year :D

8. QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom I'll never run out of things to do!

I've only dyed my hair once (for my wedding) and got highlights a few times, but that's it. I'm rather boring in the hair department.

Thankfully I have a wonderful stylist who has come up with the perfect cut for me. I've drastically thinning hair, along with a receding forehead sides (did that make sense?), and it looks like I've a head full of hair! I'm also half grey now, which means I'm needing to deal with the frizzies for the first time ever. I'm used to having stick straight hair that wasn't affected by anything. Sun? Straight. Rain? Straight. Wind? Tangles galore, but straight. Now, humidity? Frizzies! Ack!

I don't know what I'd do without my stylist. I used to have tons of hair, so having this happen was not fun to get used to!

9. rdjrneace

rdjrneace Following the yellow brick road on foot

I cut/color my hair every 4 weeks -- I cannot stand the gray areas of my hair.

10. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

I go to the salon, but not as often as I should. I usually wait until my roots are really bad, like very 3 or 4 months. I just don't like my natural color and think I look better with more blonde. For the last year or so I've don't blonde with some deep purple low lights and I love it!! I'm 51 and really haven't had any gray to speak of...a few here and there. I'm actually looking forward to it and hope to consider them my natural highlights :)
    I've been with this stylist for about 2 years now. The one I saw before just wasn't as convenient. But I hate changing stylists!! I've never really had anything bad enough that I needed to go back, but I like being comfortable with someone.

11. chastml

chastml Shock me, Sinead O'Rebellion

I have way too much anxiety to go to a stylist. I had a girl that I was comfortable with, but she moved to another state. Since then, I've just done everything at home. My husband helps when I feel like adding color or want a simple cut or trim.

12. LeeAndra

LeeAndra A total Betty.

Getting my hair (and brows) done is my one 'me' thing.

I was legit sad when we moved from Indianapolis to here and I had to give up my stylist. She was the best stylist I've ever had. I still miss her.

The stylist I have now is the one my sister goes to, and she's fine but she doesn't compare to my old stylist.

I've never had a professional hair mistake but I'm pretty easygoing about my hair, too, since I usually get the same type of haircut just shorter or longer. This last time she dyed my hair a little darker than I would have liked but it's not terrible just different from what I was expecting.

I've definitely had some terrible home dye jobs. One time my hair was Crayola red. I just lived with it until it faded out. :)

13. djp332

djp332 She sells seashells down by the seashore

I had the same stylist for over 30 years, and then she retired 3 years ago. My hair in my profile picture
    (<<<over there) was the last time she did my hair. It was for my daughter's wedding. I have never looked that good since, which is why I will never change that photo! lol!

The replacement hairstylist is nice enough, but each time I go (every 4 weeks), I have to show her this picture again. Then I have to tell her not to cut out my ears and which side the part goes on. At least she gets the highlights right. If she wasn't so close to my home, I would try to find another stylist who can listen to what I say and do what I'm paying her for.

14. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I have a white stripe right in the front too, but on my right side. I've had it since I was 18, but it's gotten bigger. :( I also have sparkles starting to pop in here and there, which those don't really bother me so much, but I hate my stripe. So, I color my hair every 6-8 weeks. I know I shouldn't bother because that darn stripe shows up in my roots just as plain as day after about 2 weeks. My hair dresser (who I love) loves the stripe and says I should own it and love it, but I can't seem to do it. I guess I'm too vain still. My white streak is also very color resistant, but my hair dresser has a trick where she put some bleach on it first and then the color and that somehow magically preps the hairs to be ready to accept color.

MrsPeel, cfile and jesskab like this.
  15. scrappyjedi

scrappyjedi Patience you must have, my young padawan

I am so sorry abut your hair troubles! I know that can be really frustrating.

I started getting gray hairs in college (thank you, Mathematics minor), but they never really bothered me a lot. I do color my hair off and on just because I like it a lot more red than it is naturally. I used to go to a salon and loved the girl who did it, but she took for. ev. ah. to finish. Like, I would be there 2-3 hours for just a single hair color and a trim. No highlights, nothing fancy. When I quit my job to be self-employed, I gave up those trips to the salon and just do it at home now. It takes about 30 minutes and costs WAY less now.

16. klee73010

klee73010 I might have a thing for drummers

I don't even bother. If I'm going to color it, i buy it from a box. I don't regularly get a trim either, even though i know i should. Blah...
    I used to have a stylist. Friend of a friend, i guess, but she decided to stop doing hair and i quit caring to pay for it. The last major hair stylist i saw is the lady that dyed my hair pink for me. But i couldn't keep up the maintenance. $100 for a handful of pink highlights every 6 weeks? I'd rather buy crafty things and put my hair in a ponytail. Lol

MrsPeel likes this.
  17. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

I don't bother with color and I too have the white streak which I have to say I like! Re color and your medication it can very well be a factor... get a cute wig for now if you really dislike it until your hair grows back.. I go to the same girl now for 16 years but I try and stay away from first and late afternoon Appts in case it is one of those days.. when I was getting contacts they always asked me if I was pregnant etc and I always thought that was strange but it changed the shape of your eye so the contacts may not be right... same thing for meds affecting different things on us re hair eyes etc. hope you are better soon and your hair is the way you like very soon!

18. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

my hair is manageable, when it starts getting in my face I pull up the top and cut off an inch or two...I do that for a few months, then get it all cut in a layered short shag? usually is jacked up for a few weeks. lol

MrsPeel likes this.
  19. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

Lordy, I have some hair stories. Starting way back when I decided to cut my hair from long, flowing locks into a boy hair cut. The reason? I was hot. Worst decision a 7th grader ever made. Bwahahahaha! That wasn't the stylist's fault though . . .

The next one I can remember after that was getting red highlights. They were supposed to be auburn but they were clown red. Yeah. It was a DISASTER.

Last week I got my hair done and had a problem. Last year I went dark again with my hair. I didn't like it, so I went back with my highlights. Unfortunately, that's a lot of processing for ye olde hair, so it was damaged. It's been growing out, but after this last highlight and cut, there was about an inch left of the damaged hair and it was a stark contrast, to me anyway, between the healthy hair and the damaged hair. I went back the next day and had her cut it off, rather than fight with it for another 2 months. It doesn't seem like much, but I prefer the bit longer hairstyle. It's not the end of the world, but I was frustrated.

So after my first highlight and cut, I looked like this:

2017-02-08-14.05.33.jpg

And after my second cut, I looked like this:

2017-02-10-17.21.jpg

MrsPeel likes this.
  20. mimisgirl

mimisgirl It's all about ME!

I used to have my aunt or cousin do it (both trained professionals) - but when we moved to Thailand I had to figure out a lot on my own - mostly because I have really wavy hair, and the Thai stylists did not know what to do with it, or how to cut it. A couple years back I decided to try a guy who was trained in NY and came highly recommended - I was cutting from waste length to shoulder length and wanted highlights too. He was like sure, sure I know what to do - so he got started - but what I did not know was it was a shop run out of his house - and his wife (the colorist) and he were the main stylists - and they had a new born and a 4 year old at home with them. 5 hours later (and I was the only customer the entire time), 2 trips for pizza, three nursing breaks, lol and a whole lot more - I ended up with VERY RED hair (seriously, I just wanted highlights, I think they color got left on too long during one of those nursing breaks) and an interesting cut that fanned out all around my face, lol. But I worked with it. This last week I finally cut off the rest of the weird colored bit (took that long to grow out) and have my old color back. Oh well. It was an experience for sure.