Gift ideas Help

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by littlekiwi, Dec 11, 2019.

1. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

Now normally I’m way way way more organised or at least have some ideas floating around but this year I’m at a total loss as to what to get my mum. Previous years I’ve got her a CD from a fav musical artist, a t-shirt representing where she grew up. I did ask her and she said oh something from a specific jewellery shop (which is way way outside of my budget and she knows it, hence why she said it) so i’m at a complete loss. Years ago when she was working in an office based job, I would have got her some cheaper jewellery but she can’t wear any at her current job and buying clothes is off the table for a few reasons (she’s in a uniform for work and also at the moment has limited clothing she can wear due to surgery last month).

Making something at this point isn’t an option as I’m away next week then with family right now through til after christmas

2. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

Same struggle for me Jennifer. My parents are always so hard. They are trying to sell their home and down sizing so I have to be careful not to buy things that will clutter the house.

My dad loves muscle cars - has a mustang and a Ford Fairlane so I'm getting him a hoodie and a mug/travel mug with mustang or funny car quotes on it. He loves his coffee and going for a drive in one of his two beloved cars every day so the travel mug would be a good idea. He always wears hoodies too.

My mom - I'm not sure yet. She loves to be comfy and cozy while sitting in the family room on her laptop -so Jan's status update about the missing Clark's slipper delivery made me think maybe a nice pair of Clark's slippers for her. She loves Clarks shoes - her fave brand) and she loves slippers - so I think it's a win. And then maybe some nice soothing hand creams/moisturizers for the winter months here.

I just tried to picture their fave place to be and would they would like in those moments. Good Luck. And usually it's the thought that counts! ;)

bestcee and cfile like this.
  3. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I'm having the same problem for my Mom. I'm done with everyone else. She never gives me any ideas and doesn't really have any hobbies except reading. She already has the Amazon Prime Unlimited reading plan, so I can't even buy her a book or anything for that. Sigh. My sister and I usually resort to an Amazon gift card so she can buy something she wants, but she usually doesn't need anything. I do make her a calendar with family pictures every year, but I always want to get her something else. I think I will wander into a gift shop in my little downtown area soon and see if something good strikes my eye!

What about a gift basket with little treats in it for your Mom Jennifer? Maybe little snacks that she could keep at work and some hot cocoa packets and tea or coffee that she likes?

4. cinderella

cinderella I was alone once...best.day.ever.

I've stopped buying gifts for the adults in my family and only buy a small toy or clothes for my nieces along with some extra cash. But if I see something that I know someone will like it, I'll buy it no matter what time of the year it is. So you're more likely to get a gift from me out of the blue rather than in xmas! But if I had to buy something for a woman, I'd choose cosmetics, not necessarily make up, it could also be a hand cream, shampoo, shower gel etc. This time of the year there are special gifts boxes from various brands.

bestcee and cfile like this.
  5. littlekiwi

She works in hospitality with no office space as such so not really something that would totally work. I did originally think of a gift basket kind of thing if her surgery was still coming but that happened a month ago now. I’m hoping I’ll be inspired while I’m away next week otherwise I’m truly not sure what I’ll do.

6. littlekiwi

@cinderella - if we only did kids then no one in my family would get anything. I’m the 2nd youngest at 32 and my cousin is nearly 29.

cinderella likes this.
  7. SharLamb

SharLamb I should have been a Supreme

I’m in Cindy’s club. Only kids get Christmas/birthday gifts in our family. We told our kids YEARS ago to stop getting us gifts. We knew it was a struggle for them, and a financial burden to some. Captain Romance and I stopped exchanging gifts and even cards a very long time ago.

The best thing I can offer is an EXPERIENCE rather than a tangible gift. We live in a place that has much to offer in the way of tourist, sports, outdoor adventures, culture, dining, etc. Your mom would probably love a Girls’ Day Out with you...a movie or visit to a museum...a mani-pedi or massage...lunch or dinner. We’ve even started giving our grandkids Experience Days instead of toys and gadgets. It’s more work for us, as Amazon does not deliver those, but we find it so rewarding.

8. Iowan

Iowan Is this heaven? No, it's Iowa

How about an Amaryllis bulb in a pretty pot. It will give here enjoyment for months.

Karen likes this.
  9. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

I’m with Sharron. I love getting the gift of experiences or quality time. When my kids ask what I want for Mother’s Day or Christmas I always tell them I want to spend time with them. I also tell them I want a clean house. :giggle They’ve yet to clean the house, but they have given me their time.

My son got married this year and I know they don’t have a lot of money so I told to gift me a game night. They are going to come over and play some games with me before they head to Texas to spend Christmas vacation with her family. Playing games is something I love to do but my hubby doesn’t like to play that often, so if the kids will play games with me that’s the best gift ever!

Karen, SharLamb, jenn mccabe and 2 others like this.
  10. littlekiwi

Experiences would be an option if we knew we would be in the same city for long enough (I may be moving as early as mid to end of next month if everything goes how I’d like it to next week) and also not knowing exactly what she can or can’t do for the next few months while she recovers. I did think of tickets to our favourite sports team but all of the remaining games are on her work days - she doesn’t get a typical weekend off (her days off are Tuesday & Friday and once I get a job my days off will be Saturday & Sunday)

I am going to keep my eyes open while I’m away for something. If we weren’t having a half family get together (long story there, some family members can’t afford to travel and others aren’t talking to each other so I wasn’t even sure a family christmas was happening up until about a week ago) I would take my time and I know she’d understand.

cfile likes this.
  11. Memaw2Wm

Memaw2Wm Well-Known Member

I second (third?) time spent with your mom ... maybe take her out to eat once a month. It doesn't have to be an expensive restaurant either. Favorite coffee shop for coffee and donuts.

For Christmas this year I asked my son to install an outdoor electrical plug on the back of my house when he came to visit last month. He also installed four replacement window sashes for me.

SharLamb and bestcee like this.
  12. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

Jennifer, I say spend time with your Mom.. go to a movie when she is not working or do something on the weekend or when she has a day off where you can go and grab a coffee and maybe breakfast out... make a handmade coupon that tells her she can choose where she wants to go..

also Jenn's @jenn mccabe suggestion of a nice pair of slippers is really great especially too since she is getting home after her surgery. I love wearing slippers... I wear them all of the time and they are so cozy.

When my Mom was alive and I would get her Christmas gifts, she always loved those make up double sided mirrors with the one side with the magnifier, she loved to get a bottle of her favorite perfume, maybe a purse unless she asked for something specific.

A book is nice too .. maybe by her favorite author.

A nice frame is always nice too with a framed photo maybe of the two of you? To me a Mom loves a photo of her children :)

If you will be moving, maybe get her blank note cards with stamps too .. that is always a nice gift. yes I know people make a lot of calls and face time these days, but sometimes sending notes to people with a book of stamps is nice too :)
    Whatever you choose, I know she will love it Jennifer!

jenn mccabe likes this.
  13. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I wish my parents would do this!
    We are doing this. This year, we bought tickets for our family to go see The Piano Guys in January. It's a surprise for munchkin! And his "big" gift.

jenn mccabe likes this.
  14. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Do this. Don't let others pressure you. Put together a card or something with a paper inside that says I'm still thinking. In this time of change, I'm working on the right gift for us. No one else has to know what you write. And then you can give her something tangible - the card.

cfile likes this.
  15. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

Is there a place she likes to go for lunch? Or what about a new lunch box if she takes it to work? (I need a new one for myself lol so it's on my mind.) You could either take her out to lunch, or maybe make her something really special for dinner one night? Like a mother/daughter outing ... but at home. :)

No matter what you do, I know your mom will be happy, so try not to stress. Like Courtney said, perhaps a card would work. Or what about a framed photograph of the two of you? I'm going to give my mom a photo of the whole family for Mother's Day (I'm going to take the photo on Christmas, which means it can't be her Christmas gift, unfortunately). We try to do experiences, like others have said. For my nieces, they're getting money in their college funds and a little candy. (They'll be here on Christmas so "Santa" is giving them the candy in a stocking here at my house.)

cfile likes this.
  16. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

I am out of ideas for my parents too. I just wanted to say I feel your struggle.

bestcee likes this.
  17. littlekiwi

In the end I decided to get her a Subway gift card (she works right near one and might want a change for lunch from what her work offers) and a few little sweet treats as a stocking stuffer

BevG and cinderella like this.