Finding Mojo again

Discussion in 'Scrapping Pad' started by littlekiwi, Mar 15, 2022.

1. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

How do you rediscover your mojo? I feel like mine has gone on a permanent holiday at the moment. I haven’t scrapped for about 5 weeks (a one kit call) and haven’t really played since the end of MOC. Yes, some of that gap was kind of planned due to changing computers and not being 100% well but now I have all my supplies and most of my photos on the new computer and I just want to scrap and take advantage of this much speedier computer I now have.

Any suggestions on how to rediscover this mojo, I just want to play!

PS: Buying new supplies to inspire me is out of the question at the moment - I only own 90% of my PC at the moment (I’m paying my friend who helped me out the last tiny bit).

ForeverJoy likes this.
  2. sm_amber

sm_amber I learn from the best..

I'd say have a look through your photos. Find some great memories that make you smile and let that feeling guide you in your creativity. Even if it means the only thing you do is find a kit you like to go with the photos. Then take things a little bit at a time. Or just spend some time looking through the gallery, or watching scrapping videos or IG feeds of scrappers you admire. Another thing that helps me is an obligation. I know it sounds strange, but when I'm lacking creativity, I'm extra thankful for my CT requirements that get me scrapping just because I have to. It forces me to think outside the box a bit and flex that creativity muscle. If you don't have any CT spots now, maybe create a challenge for yourself, or ask some scrappy friends to give you a challenge. Maybe you could do a page swap, where you make a page for someone and they make one for you - maybe getting outside of your "usual" would help?

BUT... Also, it's okay to take a break for a while (even longer than you already have). The bug will bite again, and when it does I know you'll embrace it and get right back into creating those gorgeous pages you always do. :) :beat

EHStudios and bestcee like this.
  3. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

What motivates you to want to scrap? Telling a story? Sharing photos? Pretty Product? Challenges?

If it's telling a story, then I would start there. What's a story that you want to share? About the push to finish school? About dealing with the pandemic? About getting a new computer? About your stress over not having a working computer? About a favorite memory as a child?

If it's sharing photos, look through them. Find a photo that makes you want to share.

If it's pretty product - go stash diving! What's something you bought and haven't used? Or what's a favorite product you like to play with?

Is it challenges? Grab one of the monthly challenges or designer challenges to try out. Or grab an MOC challenge that you liked, but didn't get time to finish.

Or, is it something else? Start there. See if it motivates you to scrap.

EHStudios and sm_amber like this.
  4. littlekiwi

@bestcee, my main joy is just as a fun hobby. I don’t have any new photos so for me it’s an escape from life more than anything. I’ve taken a backseat from school at the moment (not enough money to continue at the moment) so life at the moment is dealing with gluten free life (the good, bad and ugly of that) and job hunting, nothing too exciting or scrap worthy!

I’ve got a few stories I’d like to share but no photos which is the case for quite a bit of my scrapping as such at the moment.

It’s definitely pretty product that gets me - I’ve got stuff from this months BYOC I haven’t even unzipped yet as I bought it during the transition to my new computer.

Challenges also get me going but for some reason I tend to get a bit burnt out with challenges after MOC. As I wasn’t sure when I’d have my computer I didn’t look at this months challenges at all

5. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

It sounds like your mojo is there if you want to play. So just play. Make a page without any photos. Create something pretty.

Your life IS scrap worthy. Even what you might consider mundane or not important enough to scrap. Like your gluten free life, you can be taking photos of what you eat or even use brands/logos in place of photos or just simply describe the ups and downs of that. I tend to scrap little things that occur in my life. It's not always a big moment or exciting, but it's my life that I'm documenting!

LynnG, cfile, bestcee and 1 other person like this.
  6. LoveItScrapIt

LoveItScrapIt I'm a poet, and everyone knows it!

Maybe practice on your scrapping skills. I know I tend to scraplift a lot more when I'm looking for mojo, or have done all the challenges I can do. lol

I'll find some of the pages sitting in my bookmarks or faves that might seem a bit "tougher" and try to recreate them.

cfile likes this.
  7. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

do some tutorials, or have fun doing the designer a day and play with your stash :)

LynnG likes this.
  8. littlekiwi

true, I haven’t played with LOD at all except to post two layouts that I did for Gina. If nothing else it would challenge me to be more of a one kit/designer scrapper for a change

bestcee and cfile like this.
  9. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

You can mix kits of that one designer.. don’t limit yourself. Have fun and enjoy the creative process!!

LynnG likes this.
  10. ArmyGrl

ArmyGrl Merlot, Cab, Chard, Reisling - all 4 food groups!

Ha! Me too. I was gonna say something very similar - scraplift and challenges!

LoveItScrapIt likes this.
  11. Cath_

Cath_ In my polka dot dress and apron

i agree... and avoiding where to unzip too...

I have enjoyed these designer love ones, did not use any photos, story's. just placed and on some mesed with eraser, the tool to soften edges what ever.

12. littlekiwi

I've wanted to come back to this comment by Cheryl for awhile now, I don't know that I want to have the bad memories of this particular time documented permanently so while I do think for sure its part of my story I'm not sure I want to go into the really awful side of it - its probably about 60% of the entire journey so far so I've hesitated to scrap about it plus I've got no photos or journaling for it either

gonewiththewind likes this.
  13. gonewiththewind

I totally understand that. I'm still scrapping about my breast cancer diagnosis and treatment. Sometimes I'm able to create a page, and then other times it's just too much for me to process. I do try to be positive, and I know you do that too. Reliving or exploring bad times takes a lot of energy that I don't have sometimes, and I'm sure you feel the same.

I think I was just encouraging you to scrap the mundane . . . not even the bad parts of your eating journey . . . but perhaps new foods that you really like now or special brands that you appreciate that make you feel better. You might not be ready to even scrap about that, and that's okay.

I've found myself dipping into older photos from 10 years ago or 5 years ago to find happier times/memories. Perhaps finding some of those will inspire you to create. Like others suggested, find a challenge that inspires you or another layout that you might like a style of and want to emulate it.

Then again, sometimes mojo is just not there and you have to take a break. That's OK. We all have those times.

EHStudios and LynnG like this.
  14. rach3975

rach3975 Well-Known Member

If your present doesn't feel like a good scrapping subject, what about looking towards the future? Things like a travel bucket list, your dream job, etc. Or you could try a favorites view of the present, focusing only on little things that bring you joy, like your favorite song or show. Maybe make and send scrapped cards or craft home decor with your scrap supplies.

I hope you're able to find your mojo soon. It will be back one of these days. At one point I took a 6-month scrapping break then spent another 6 months making myself scrap because I wanted the memories in my albums even though I had no mojo. Finally after that year it came easier and I loved what I was creating again. It's hard to be creative when all of your mental energy is going toward the other things going on in your life.

LynnG likes this.
  15. littlekiwi

I wish I could be positive about the future but quite honestly I have no idea what it might look like and I've in a way given up trying to plan or wish for the future given my situation. Six and half years ago I was starting to look for work and everything was rosy, I had a plan but the plan/goals have changed so much in the past few years I've in a way given up trying to "plan" or "dream" what my life looks like.

16. littlekiwi

I think I've figured it out....with losing LBW and PRD which were a good chunk of my stash I'm finding it harder than ever to just scrap - I usually use at least something from the two of them in my layouts if not a whole kit

17. KimJ

KimJ Did you check in the refrigerator?

I'm sorry that you're struggling, Jennifer. Remember that you can still use those products on pages you post here for up to 50% on general pages or up to 25% on most of the monthly challenge pages (10% on BYOC). :)

18. gonewiththewind

You have been persistent and dedicated to finding employment. With the pandemic and the changes in our lives in the past couple of years, I know it's been extremely difficult. I hope you will find other things that you can dream about, even if they are small, like reading a book series or starting a collection or documenting the special things that decorate your space. Sending lots of hugs and wishes that mojo returns to you so you can create and share your beautiful pages again.

Just like life, there will be changes in the products offered here at TLP. Like @KimJ said, you can still use their products here by following our gallery guidelines. I really miss both Mirjam and Valeria as well, but I hope you will find that there are some amazing designs available here that can replace those kits that you've used consistently in the past. For PRD, I now reach for kits by Designed by Soco and Elif Sahin Designs. For LBW, I reach for Rachel Jefferies and Lynn Grieveson as well as Lynne-Marie.

LynnG and KimJ like this.
  19. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

Like Kim said, you can still use those products.

But a change in mindset could work for you as well. Scrap with whatever you want... you don't have to post everything online. If you do want to put it online, put in on your Instagram and share it there.

I changed my mindset and now scrap for me, not for any specific gallery. If a challenge works with what I'm scrapping, I might do it. And, because I'm scrapping for me, I use whatever I want. Quite often I will use kits that have been retired for many years because I love them. One designer I use has been retired for over 5 years but I love her stuff. That is what makes me happy when I scrap and I do this hobby for me, not others. JMHO

20. littlekiwi

@gonewiththewind I know there’s other designers I could use that have a similar style, it’s not that per say that’s hampering my creativity, it’s more that those designers you mentioned outside of Soco aren’t typically my style.

@KimJ I know I can use them for most challenges but I’ve shifted them into their new store so they aren’t as easily accessible if I’m working on a TLP challenge.