February Book Club: Ready Player One

Discussion in 'Reading Pad' started by crystalbella77, Jan 30, 2016.

1. jsutterfield4

jsutterfield4 Member

I finished it last night! So when can we really start talking about it? I don't want to spoil things for anyone?

crystalbella77 and mrspotts like this.
  2. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I don't think this is a spoiler.

I thought similar in parts, however because I didn't live through it {1980 baby} , parts were new to me. Do you think the overkill is less overkill to younger generations?

crystalbella77 likes this.
  3. Jeanet

Jeanet CT - Lynne-Marie

I'm also from 1980 and I thought it was way overkill.

4. mrspotts

mrspotts Could I get a planner for my planner?

1982 right here...I felt in some parts it was overkill and some it wasn't. i'm not a huge gamer but I did grow up playing a Nintendo and a few games on the computer. My knowledge is basic enough that when someone talks about an old gaming system I get what they are talking about. But this book seemed to go into minute details about the games that were CASUALLY mentioned that also didn't play a big part in the story. However, some of the games that were major parts of the story I didn't know about and I appreciated the extra detail for those.

I'm waiting for everyone to get done because I want to discuss the ending.

5. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

I was born in 1971 but I've never been much of a gamer, so I barely recognized a lot of the references. However, I knew my husband would recognize them so I encouraged him to read the book, which he did, the day after I read it, while he was flying across the country for a business trip.

Surprisingly, while I thought the story was great, he didn't care much for it! :shrug :rollin

crystalbella77 and bellbird like this.
  6. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

Bwahahahahaha This made me shout-laugh!

crystalbella77 and bellbird like this.
  7. sm_amber

sm_amber I learn from the best..

Just picked it up from the library.. I'm about 1/3 of the way through another book that's due back on Monday, though, so I'll have to wait a bit longer on this one..

8. mrs2a50

mrs2a50 Pretty much the best.ever.

Born in 1970 here, and I absolutely loved this book and the 80's references. It was just hugely entertaining for me, and a lighter, non-serious story, so I just sort of went with it.

AND, I have to say ... I got one of the clues before he did ... :)

crystalbella77, mrspotts and bestcee like this.
  9. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Now I want to know which one!

10. mrs2a50

Just a partial part of the clue for the Jade Key! @bestcee

crystalbella77 and bestcee like this.
  11. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

finished it this morning - congrats @mrs2a50 you are obviously a talented gunter ;)

crystalbella77 and mrs2a50 like this.
  12. mrs2a50

13. crystalbella77

crystalbella77 Capture life and embrace it

This is me too! I am trying really hard and I haven't given up but I am not into it yet! Hoping I get there soon!!!!!

aballen likes this.
  14. crystalbella77

Anytime! I always suggest waiting until the middle of the month, which is now! Just maybe put "Spoiler Warning" or some such but you are welcome to say whatever you would like now!

15. crystalbella77

I was born in 1984 and I kind of don't care at all for the 80's AT ALL. and we weren't allowed video games and I was boring so I never was into them or even wanted them just because of not being allowed. I think that is part of what the struggle is for me? I just....don't care....about any of it. :/ I do like that it is lighter and things though so I am for sure not giving up!

16. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

i think some of his [the author's] referrencing of 80s stuff is a bit excessive (an interesting playlist would come out of this though), i don't think it's really a spoiler but he refers to japanese anime shows a lot and TBH i wasnt aware that even existed until maybe the late 90s when Pokemon etc emerged but i guess if u were a hardcore gamer in the 80s maybe that was justifiably important?? i dunno - but hang in there!

i went back to All the Light last night (i'm at about 40%) and the language and storytelling is just so different. I feel like my kids (even the just turned 7y.o.) could have written the 'i went thru the door. there was a black tunnel' text of this book. All the Light is the total opposite - i think i'm learning i prefer a middle ground with respect to style

sm_amber and crystalbella77 like this.
  17. Brandi

Brandi You're so fine, you're so fine you blow my mind

I haven't read some in a few days so I will have to start reading some more tonight!

18. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

I'm finished and I totally enjoyed it. Born in 1970 so the 80's were my middle and high school years . . . although I wasn't a gamer, I caught a lot of the pop culture references. I thought it was a fun read . . . unrealistic in many aspects, but hey, virtual reality IS unrealistic, and for that I suppose it was clever, the play on what we used to escape our realities. I'd definitely recommend it for a quick and easy read.

19. Nemla

Nemla Stretching my skill set

Spoiler alert...
    Ok I finished it. It was an easy read and ,I liked the beginning.
    The absolute lack of concern for the destruction of his home and the death of his neighbours, (ok he turned into a ball and hugged himself for a night.) made me realize that is really was a fairy tale I was reading.
    The middle left me bored to tears and I started skipping paragraphs,and descriptions of 80s songs and films.
    It did pick up though and I decided to " go with the flow. " that made it better LoL
    The descriptions of the Oasis are great,and I am sure some of the things will be our future.
    The epic battle, the happy ending ...Ahh
    Did anyone guess Arch was a girl ?

Karen likes this.
  20. tinkerbell1112

tinkerbell1112 Offical Ambassador of the Magic Kingdom

spoilers***

A little more than half way through and I will say it is getting better. I think my struggle in the beginning was too much description of songs, games, movies, videos I've never even heard of. Now that there's more dialogue and more story it's getting easier.

The description of him in his apartment (where I currently am) made me feeling VERY DEPRESSED. What a society that is if people literally spend money like that on things like that to totally escape the real world. I'm sure there are some comparisons we can find in some online things now but that description of blacking out windows and ordering everything online and no true human interaction - shiver!

Going to try to push and finish by this weekend. Have an hour or so while I'm waiting for kids at weird times after school today and going to try to push forward. I will admit I have browsed through to the end a bit just to read the scoreboards. I was getting bored with the book and needed a bit of a carrot :)

I read Vivi's spoiler above and whoa - have not guessed Aech is a girl. Though I did have a short suspicion he/she was a spy - but after browsing ahead I don't think so anymore. LOL

crystalbella77, Nemla and Karen like this.