Fast Scrapper or Slow Scrapper? Or, the importance of Journaling

Discussion in 'Scrapping Pad' started by chickypow, Jan 30, 2016.

Tags:
  1. chickypow

chickypow All I need is my gun, and my blankie

I'm curious. I'm a ridiculously fast scrapper. I don't know why but stuff just comes together quick for me. Unless I'm tackling something different than my normal "style", then it takes a bit longer. Sometimes I feel weird that I don't spend much time creating my pages, but if I fuss with them too much I end up ditching it and starting over. But I feel like I ought to spend more time when creating my family's memories.

So what are you all? Fast or slow?

LoveItScrapIt and crystalbella77 like this.
  2. DeniseB817

DeniseB817 Member

I take forever on all of my pages. Always did when I paper scrapped too.

3. lorryfach

lorryfach Likes to be chauffeured

I'm usually pretty fast but sometimes it doesn't click as fast, and I'm okay with that too. I'm not in a race, and it's fun either way!

Lindzee and bellbird like this.
  4. chickypow

That's a good point @lorryfach ! I just realized too that I don't journal much. I need to do more of that, more storytelling. I want to start doing more art journal pages too and those take me forever lol.

5. chickypow

It's super fun :) I've just been feeling like I'm missing something by going so quick. I'm thinking is words. I talk a lot so writing them down shouldn't be a problem for me, yet journaling IS hard for me. Weird.

6. lorryfach

lorryfach Likes to be chauffeured

I have been trying to get myself to journal more too. My problem is actually stopping to do it. Once I start, it's fine. I don't have a problem figuring out what to say. But when I do all the other parts of the page, I tend to just go "yay! save! bye!" and I need to force myself to not do that.

IntenseMagic and chickypow like this.
  7. chickypow

Haha! Yup I think that's the same as me. I get it looking how I like it then BAM. Done.

8. HeatherB

HeatherB Ain't nothin wrong with a few dust bunnies!

I'm extremely slow. Pages take me forever to finish. Even though I'm mainly a template scrapper. I think without the templates, I wouldn't finish anything!

Marlen and bellbird like this.
  9. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

if I can find what my brain and heart want on the page, I can go fast..but I get slowed down, when I can't figure out that last thing it needs...kwim?

cfile and bellbird like this.
  10. QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom I'll never run out of things to do!

Sloooooow. Very slow. Every once in a while I'll get a page done in less than an hour, but it's usually 2-3 hours per page. Sometimes more. I wish I were faster!

Then after I complete a page that's taken me FOREVER, I look at it and think - Well, I could've done that faster, couldn't I? Ha!

HeatherB likes this.
  11. kirstiegai

kirstiegai Trick or Treat, RUB by feet!

Mostly fast, I usually see it in my head first then it all just comes together

chickypow likes this.
  12. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

i'm both when i want to be - i've learnt i'm a lot faster if i stick to a kit, instead of wandering thru the stash to find the perfect element/paper/alpha etc. My time savers in Speed Scraps are usually limiting myself to a single generic photo (unless specified that i need a specific number of them), picking a kit that contains pretty well everything i need (and then going B&W with the photo if it won't match) and avoiding alphas entirely and sticking to my go-to fonts (not looking thru the whole folder) as they usually provide a recipe for what u need and what goes where and taking those overwhleming choices away from me can save me a lot of time #indecisive Templates help but there's still lots of choices to be made after that, KWIM?

HeatherB and chickypow like this.
  13. chickypow

@kirstiegai yup same here. I know what's going where so it flows fast.

14. chickypow

@bellbird I love your comment. I'm always so interested in how people tick. It's cool for me to get a peek into all yourights arty heads. Darn we are a creative bunch!

bellbird likes this.
  15. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

I'm usually an hour to 1 1/2 hours... that's for a single or double, doesn't matter which I'm scrapping. (i don't get why they are the same time either, lol!) If there isn't much to the page and it's for a challenge, then that might be faster. I don't think I've ever been less than 40 minutes for a page. 90% of the time add the date, and names or something regards to what the page is about - just something. Then about 75% I add at least the who, what, where, when, why type journaling.

I journal because I'm going to get old. lol.

I won't remember the details, names, places or anything at some point. I will love reading about my own memories one day, lol, and then sparking my memories. Looking through pictures with grandparents, and family has shown me that no one is immune to forgetting.

HeatherB likes this.
  16. chickypow

@jk703 you are so right. This is why I need to journal more. Of course right now photos are enough to remember moments but that won't always be the case. I'm usually just under an hour for a page depending on how detailed, but have little to no journaling aside from a date. Guess that's my scrappy resolution.

I don't want to be staring at photos thinking "awe that's cute but what the heck were we/they doing?"

17. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

When my grandfather passed away years ago, I remember sitting with my whole family in the den, looking at photos. We would ask my grandmother, my great aunt, and my gruncle who was in the photos, where were they, and what was going on. Some of the images had a story, but there were so many that we didn't know who was in the picture, or what was going on. When we asked my grandmother and family... we got some answers, but still many of the questions remained. I was lucky I grabbed a bunch of pictures that I wanted to keep and had written some details on the backs. Who, what, when at least - more if it was known.

Then a few years ago, when my grandmother passed, it was like deja vu. Another big box of photos, and the more questions. Many were from her college years, trips she and my grandfather had taken for business... so many experiences. The problem was... there were less people to ask. :(

That's the only reason that I learned I needed to journal. I'm going to forget otherwise... or I will not be here to remember for someone else.

@chickypow

HeatherB, enjoyyourpix and bellbird like this.
  18. chickypow

Oh wow @jk703 that's such a HUGE reminder of how important it is to record things. My dad is 78 and spend 35 years in the military, most of it overseas. He has sooooo many stories and stories about my grandpa who passed away when I was 11, I need to start recording them.....amazing stories that can so easily be lost.

Plus we have like 4 big old photo albums from back to the early 1900's (my family has always been huge into photography, they were the first in their city to get one of those newfangled camera things lol) and there is no one left to ask.

19. lmccandless

lmccandless The Force is strong with this one. Boss of the Applesauce

I am ridiculously, painfully slow. That's ok though, I made peace with it long ago. LOL

bestcee, sushimommy and bellbird like this.
  20. crystalbella77

crystalbella77 Capture life and embrace it

In general I am really fast. Like if I can sit and just do a page straight it comes together really quickly. However, lately with the baby I have to scrap 10 min here and 10 min there so it takes me a whole day sometimes. SO LAME!