Fast Five Reading|Pad Patter 8.25

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by bestcee, Aug 25, 2018.

1. berniek

berniek I have a girl crush on the Naming Fairy

1. Do you read for fun or only when you have to?
    Fun! I love reading and lots of it!

2. Fiction or Non-Fiction?
    Mostly fiction, but I’ll read some non-fiction every once in a while.

3. Favorite Genre (No judgement here!)
    Thrillers! Or historical adventures as a light snack in between. I’m also not saying no to some good YA dystopian books.

4. (Mostly) Paper books or e-books or audiobooks?
    Ebooks and audiobooks for me! But now that I’ve joined our library I’ll read some paper books too.

5. Do you borrow from the library or buy most of your books?
    Buy.
    I’m on a subscription that gives me 8 pre-selected audio- and ebooks a month. So I pay for them, but it’s only €3,99 a month so I feel like it doesn’t really counts.
    And I’ve just gotten a membership at my library so I’ll borrow more often now.

Bonus Question: What's your favorite book you've read lately? I'm always looking for something to add to my To Be read list!
    I’m currently reading the Ranger’s Apprentice series by John Flanagan. It’s YA and rather old, but I’m hooked! I’m currently reading book number 8, 4 more to go!

Last edited: Aug 26, 2018
  2. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

1. Do you read for fun or only when you have to? Always for fun! :)
    2. Fiction or Non-Fiction? Mostly fiction, but I did read the Alexander Hamilton biography and loved it!
    3. Favorite Genre: I'd say probably historical fiction, but I'm all over the place.
    4. (Mostly) Paper books or e-books or audiobooks? Ebooks and sometimes audiobooks. RARELY paper anymore.
    5. Do you borrow from the library or buy most of your books? I'm a total library gal! They're free! Or at least me getting the most out of my tax dollars! :giggle

Bonus Question: What's your favorite book you've read lately? I loved the quirkiness of Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine. I also loved Behind Closed Doors... sucked me in quick and was a fast read... but heavy subject matter.

3. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Never heard of it or her! I'll check it out.

I know the feeling! You can do it!!

I've read 2 of those - not Robin Carr. I'm currently reading a Lisa Scottoline book "One Perfect Day". She was recommended if you like Patricia Cornwell by the library.

I just got "I'll be Gone in the Dark" from the library. Have you read that? Or is crime different than drama?

That's so cool! When we could walk to the library, we did better at going every week to two weeks. Now, it seems to be closer to once a month, with online renewal in between.

cfile likes this.
  4. bestcee

have you read The Selection or Red Queen? I never saw the divergent movies because I enjoyed the first book. I didn't want the movie to ruin it!

I had the tv show recommended to me. I didn't know it was a book series.

We still have some of those "have to" books from DH's BA in English laying around.

I do too! I'm going to try the double speed trick listed above.

Recommendation? I love those type too.

bellbird and Tree City like this.
  5. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

@bestcee interesting.. I will have to check her out.

6. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

Crime would be just one example of true life drama, and not my favorite. I'd rather read about, for example, how the family managed living in Alaska in The Great Alone, the book I just finished, or about the effects of adoption in another recent TLP book club read, When We Were Yours. (I hope I remembered the title correctly.)

7. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

@bestcee my hubby and I are currently reading books based in the WWII era. He's reading way more than me and I have to boogie to keep his Kindle current. LOL "The Ocean Liner" and "The Designer" both by Marius Gabriel, are both wonderful and have the people who really lived woven into the stories. My favorite of the two was "The Ocean Liner", but they're both good.

"Yellow Crocus" by Laila Ibrahim is Civil War period. Really an eye-opener for me and I could hardly put it down. I'm currently reading "In Farleigh Field" by Rye Bowen - WWII England and the hardships they endured. I've learned so much about WWII by reading these books. Hubby is so familiar with everything WWII but I wasn't. We watch everything we can find on Amazon Fire TV about WWII too. I'm obsessed with learning more about that war and time period.

8. LeeAndra

LeeAndra A total Betty.

I go in spurts. I suddenly want to know about something so I research and check out a whole bunch of books on that subject, read bits 'n' pieces of them, and then go for awhile without reading anything. I'm currently working through 11 books on leadership. Some are specifically about female leadership, and some about leadership within the Christian church.

I used to devour historical romances when I was a teenager but nowadays it's usually just non-fiction. I think because it makes it feel 'less wasteful' to spend time reading (and away from scrapping!) if I will learn something useful and practical from it.

3. Favorite Genre (No judgment here!):

Chick lit is fun & usually only take an hour or two to read. I don't do scary/horror or bodice-rippers in any kind of media form.

I don't retain information when I hear it so I never listen to audiobooks. It's just regular ol' books from the library for me.

I don't remember the last time I bought a book for myself. I never reread (except for Tolkien, Lewis, & Montgomery) so it seems like a waste of money.

9. amien1

amien1 I do enjoy a good exclamation point!

1. Do you read for fun or only when you have to? FUN!! I remember when I was SO excited to be done with college & to be able to read for fun again! ;)
    2. Fiction or Non-Fiction? Usually Fiction- occasionally non
    3. Favorite Genre (No judgement here!): little bit of everything, although I'm not a big fan of horror or anything to scary- I read a lot before bed & need sleep! lol!
    4. (Mostly) Paper books or e-books or audiobooks? I am still a hold out for REAL books- mostly from the library- but I did just claim my nook back from the kids so we'll see...
    5. Do you borrow from the library or buy most of your books? We go thru spurts of buying some, then lots of library. We tend to read more in the summer & visit the library a lot more then.

Bonus Question: What's your favorite book you've read lately? I'm always looking for something to add to my To Be read list! I loved Great Alone by Kristin Hannah. I have actually read everything she's written. She's from the PNW so it's easy for me to imagine the setting of most of her books! Firefly Lane is my most favorite book of all time of hers.

bellbird likes this.
  10. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

Fun... at this point in my life, why would I want to read something I don't have to? :giggle
    Fiction
    3. Favorite Genre (No judgement here!):
    Mystery, Thriller, Suspence, Magical, Fantasy, Romance, Paranormal, etc. All of it usually.
    E-books... I don't remember the last time I've read a paper book.
    Kindle Unlimited or Library.

Bonus Question: What's your favorite book you've read lately? I'm always looking for something to add to my To Be read list!

I really enjoyed a book called "The Selection" by Keira Cass... but I don't want to pay for rest of the series, so I'm checking to see if it's at the library. I also love Gina LaManna - fun, quirky, series, and I like her style. I love to read series - or overlapping characters.

@bestcee @cfile You guys might like Melinda Leigh, Kendra Elliot, Rita Herron, Tess Gerritsen, and Karin Slaughter.

cfile likes this.
  11. Tanyia

Tanyia Active Member

Even though I am 2 days late, I really love to read so I have to answer these! :)

1. Fun, I love reading a good book.
    2. Almost always fiction but I do read my share of self help, personal growth kinda stuff, too.
    3. Probably Young Adult Dystopian reads are my fave
    4. Almost always digital.... though the self improvement books are always physical.... what does that mean? lol
    5. Buy or borrow from Kindle Prime

Faveorite reacent read? The Book of the Unnamed Widwife was great.

berniek likes this.
  12. bestcee

My library had them all as ebooks when I read them last year.

bellbird and jk703 like this.
  13. kayjaydo

kayjaydo Keeping my feet firmly on the ground

Fun, fun, fun

Fiction

3. Favorite Genre (No judgement here!):
    All of them I think, YA, Romance, Historical, Thriller, Crime

Love my Kindle, the main reason being that I can make the letters as big as I need them!

Buy, Kindle in Germany don't let you use the library, and the prime books are all in German and I only like to read in English, which tends to be the original language in most cases

Bonus Question: What's your favorite book you've read lately?
    I absolutely LOVE the Seven Sisters series by Lucinda Riley

bestcee likes this.
  14. Heidi Nicole

Heidi Nicole Well-Known Member

1. Do you read for fun or only when you have to? FUN!!
    2. Fiction or Non-Fiction? Non-Fiction
    3. Favorite Genre (No judgement here!): Thriller/Suspense (the 'twistier' the better!)
    4. (Mostly) Paper books or e-books or audiobooks? 95% of the time audiobooks. (my hubby and I ride together to work and we drive and hour there and an hour home... luckily we like the same stuff!)
    5. Do you borrow from the library or buy most of your books? Definitely borrow

Bonus Question: What's your favorite book you've read lately? I'm always looking for something to add to my To Be read list! I may be late the party here... but, READY PLAYER ONE! (the book was hundreds of times better than the movie... but I enjoyed the movie too!

berniek likes this.
  15. Scrapping with Liz

Scrapping with Liz Crafts for days.

1. Do you read for fun or only when you have to? Both - I homeschool so there are a lot of things I read with my kids & then I read on my own just for fun too.
    2. Fiction or Non-Fiction? For myself I enjoy non-fiction. I read out loud a lot of historical fiction to my kids...that I also enjoy.
    3. Favorite Genre (No judgement here!): Self-help. LOL! History.
    4. (Mostly) Paper books or e-books or audiobooks? Paper
    5. Do you borrow from the library or buy most of your books? Borrow. I put so many books on hold at our Library that I think I make our clerks mad. LOL! And they are usually for my kids.

Honestly, most of my reading is for my kids.

I read Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand last year...and just watched the movie again this weekend. It made me want to go read the book again. I'm sure there's a more current one but that one is on my mind right now.

bestcee likes this.
  16. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

Both in my TBR queue! Knew u were a smart cookie!

bestcee likes this.
  17. bestcee

See? This is another movie I'm not keen on seeing. The book was good, and I think too many gaming updates would make the movie meh.

18. KarenW

KarenW Send in the Clowns

Yay! A reading question!
    1. Do you read for fun or only when you have to? fun
    2. Fiction or Non-Fiction? Both, mostly autobiographies for non fiction
    3. Favorite Genre (No judgement here!): Sci fi, cosy mysteries, action - anything but psychothrillers and true crime really...
    4. (Mostly) Paper books or e-books or audiobooks? Audiobooks mostly atm but have swung back to paper books recently
    5. Do you borrow from the library or buy most of your books? mostly buy but also get some from the library - hopefully will start my volunteer work up at our local library soon so that will increase my borrowing form there enormously otherwise it is just an awkward place to get to...

Bonus Question: What's your favorite book you've read lately? I'm always looking for something to add to my To Be read list! Anything by Fredrik Backman - love his work. Also the Crazy Rich Asian trilogy is a lot of fun.

bestcee likes this.
  19. lmccandless

lmccandless The Force is strong with this one. Boss of the Applesauce

FUN. It’s one of my favorite hobbies.
    2. Fiction or Non-Fiction? Both
    3. Favorite Genre (No judgement here!): everything except horror
    4. (Mostly) Paper books or e-books or audiobooks? Ebooks
    5. Do you borrow from the library or buy most of your books? Buy

Bonus question:
    Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind by Yuval Noah Hurari

I also really liked The Great Alone!

Last edited: Aug 29, 2018
    Karen and bestcee like this.
  20. bestcee

Oh! I'll have to check this out!

You mentioned the library is awkward to get to. One of the requirements when I look for housing is "How far away is the library?" I'm still slightly scarred by my once a month book-mobile experience as a child..... I hope you get to volunteer!!