DYD 2022 Hybrid Gift Card Holder

Discussion in 'Document Your December 2022' started by dawnmarch, Nov 11, 2022.

1. dawnmarch

dawnmarch Actually, no. You are not funny!

I find myself giving lots of gift cards these days but they feel so impersonal. So, I thought that hand-making some gift card holders would help show that some care was put into the gift.

I posted the final product in the gallery but wanted to also post some instructions on how I made it in case anyone wants to give it a try. It was really quite easy!

These were made with Becca Bonneville's absolutely delightful Holiday Hoopla Paper Pack and Stickers

[​IMG]

Instructions:
    • I took the adorable mug sticker from Becca's Holiday Hoopla collection and opened it on a letter sized page in Photoshop.
    • I Kept the whole sticker for printing as is and then also extracted (using quick select tool) just the front Santa coat & belt in two halves to print separately.
    • Stretched the belt a little bit on the right side (really just copied and pasted a bit of the belt from the left side) so that when I put it together, I could tuck the right belt flap into the left side to keep it closed.
    • Added little flaps on outside edges of the jacket halves so that I could fold those under and adhere to the background sticker to make the opening jacket "doors"
    Here is what the file looked like so you can see what I mean
    [​IMG]
    • Then I printed and cut out the file using my printer and Silhouette -- although you could easily do this cut out by hand in no time (just print on a regular printer and cut with scissors). I also printed out some of the cute striped paper from Becca's Holiday Hoopla Kit to use as the backing for the gift card.
    • Folded under the little flaps on the outside edges of jacket and glued them to either side of the striped paper; then lined the jacket "doors" up with the main background sticker and glued it down.
    • Used re-adjustable glue to attach a gift card
    • Used an exacto to cut a slit along the inner edge of the belt buckle on the left side for the right-side belt flap to tuck into to keep it closed. And VOILA, done!

umyesh likes this.
  2. meganmecrazy

meganmecrazy Caution: Randomly Breaks Out into Show tunes

This is super cute!!! Thanks for sharing!!!

dawnmarch likes this.
  3. Annsofie

Annsofie Crime Books & Cozy Nooks

Great card holder, thanks for the inspiration!

dawnmarch likes this.
  4. mary kate

mary kate Well-Known Member

This is so cute, and so creative. I love how Santa's coat opens to reveal the gift card: so clever!

5. mywisecrafts

mywisecrafts Pollywog

This is so cute!!! I love it!!!

6. weaselwatchr

weaselwatchr Viva, Las Vegas!

So cute! Thanks for sharing this very creative idea

7. marijke

marijke Weekends are for wine.

Great idea ... thank you for sharing ...

8. umyesh

umyesh President of the Hangry Ladies Supper Club

This is so creative! I love that you made the belt actually function! I need to try this.

9. mocamom

mocamom Runs on coffee. And with scissors.

Dang that is so cute!! And I'm so grateful for the video. My brain works so much better that way!