DYD 2022 | Foundation Pages

Discussion in 'Document Your December 2022' started by tkradtke, Nov 9, 2022.

1. tkradtke

tkradtke Professional Brainstormer

Happy Holiday Season Everyone!!

DYD is such a fun project for the month of December, but that can also be a very stressful time to keep up with a project when so much is going on. That is where foundation pages come in. We've got a couple of weeks before December begins, now is a great time to get a jump on your project.

The more thinking you can do now, the smoother your December will go. Things to think about:

1. What size do I want to make my project?
    2. What style do I want it to be?
    3. Not as critical at this point, but still important... what memories do I want to capture with this project?

This year I decided that I'm going to make an 8x10 book. All of my previous years have been 8x8 and I need to mix things up. 8x10 lets me do something different while still having them all line up nicely on a shelf.

So where to start? A great place to start is with a template set. Pick out a template set or two (or three or four lol!) and start adding papers and elements from this year's DYD collection or any of the other beautiful Christmas kits in the store.

Here's my example using Scrapping with Liz's new set from this year's DYD collection...

example01TLP.jpg

I just added papers from Lynn Marie's Noel and an Element from NBK Design's Felty Bits. Now all I need to do is add my photo and journaling and my page is done!

Additional template sets in this year's DYD collection:
    December Details 5 by Fiddle-Dee-Dee Designs
    December Memories - 2022 12x12 by Designed by Soco
    December Memories - 2022 6x8 by Designed by Soco

Simple pocket style pages also make good foundation pages as well. I used the Pocket Template Maker Actions by Mommyish to make a few pockets as the base of this page...

example02TLP.jpg

With papers and cards from Becca Bonneville's Holiday Hoopla and another Felty Bit by NBK Designs, this page is ready for a photo and journaling as well.

My personal plan this year is to go simpler with large photos. That sounds hard to do foundation pages for, right? I've found that Scrapping with Liz's word cutouts make great bases for these types of pages...

example03TLP.jpg

Ready and waiting for a big photo to complete the page!

So now that I've shown a few of my examples, let's brainstorm (I am a professional brainstormer, you know :lmao)what you would like your project to look like here and then when you're ready, be sure to enter Stefanie's Foundation Page Challenge!

What are your plans for DYD this year??

Last edited: Nov 10, 2022
    umyesh and Angela Toucan like this.
  2. umyesh

umyesh President of the Hangry Ladies Supper Club

I love your idea to use big photos with Scrapping with Liz cutouts! Brilliant! I need to prep a page for our Christmas pajamas this year so thanks for the inspiration!

3. mary kate

mary kate Well-Known Member

I love your pocket page with the cute holiday mugs. I need to do a few foundation pages (I don't plan to do a complete album, maybe just 3-4 pages), this is great inspiration!

4. tkradtke

Thanks! I'm really trying to keep it simple this year and her cutouts are so fun!

Thank you! I'm completely in love with NBK Design's Felty Bits... so adorable!

And... now I'm completely rethinking my DYD plan. After seeing Paislee Presses 10x8 templates, I may turn my project sideways and go landscape! Oh geez... I need to make a decision and commit to it LOL!

umyesh likes this.
  5. Lillyia

Lillyia Well-Known Member

@tkradtke Thank you for this informative piece. I just purchased a template set right before I read about the other template packs and saw your ideas. Now, I am regretting...well, almost regretting my choice. They're all really nice and I don't think anyone can go wrong with any of them. But, Tracie, I must say I am very tempted to purchase an additional template set to use for last year's album since I didn't do it. Hmmm...food for thought. :)

tkradtke likes this.
  6. tkradtke

@Lillyia You can always mix and match? Only in the years that I did a faux 6x8 book within an 8x8 photobook was I able to stick to only one template set lol! I love to mix and match with my page styles within a book.

7. Lillyia

Lillyia Well-Known Member

@tkradtke Well, you are right! I hadn't thought of that. Opens things up, doesn't it. Thanks for that eye-opening tip, Tracy!

8. jaye

jaye My other car is a Zamboni!

As Christmas is usually very low key and quiet for me I instead create a Holiday Happenings book. I put in pics of the tree going up, the first snow, the Santa Parade (always in November), baking, etc. I found this takes a lot of pressure off me to feel I need to take a photo or come up with something for December.

Just a thought in case others struggle with documenting their December :)

jk703 likes this.
  9. tkradtke

Oh I love that! I can't do daily and wanted to encompass things we did in November, so I have always called my books The Stories of Christmas <insert year here>. I love, love, love Holiday Happenings as a title!