Does anybody start their page in PL app?

Discussion in 'Project Life/365/52' started by Carri, Feb 12, 2016.

1. Carri

Carri New Member

Quick background here...I was a digital scrapbooker years ago and then kind of let it fall by the wayside and went back to paper. In December I caved and decided to start using the PL app to do PL for 2016. I kind of feel like the app doesn't offer enough detail so for the first few weeks of January where I had done app pages, I've pulled them into photoshop and just added stuff on top of what I did in the app. I like there there are plenty of templates already and it's easy to move pictures from pocket to pocket but other then that my love of the app ends there. I feel like the app being on my phone where most of my pictures reside will get me going for my weekly pages and keep me up to date but on the other hand, I feel like maybe it's unnecessary to start there and could just begin in PS. That is, if I make it a point to move all the pictures to dropbox or my computer. Would love your thoughts!

2. Lindzee

Lindzee Aging gracefully

I did exactly that with my pictures from vacation last year. I placed all the photos in pl on my iPad then uploaded to drop box and into photoshop on my laptop. Sounds awkward but basically I had pretty complete pages really fast and just had to embellish. I used the magic wand to capture the photo layout and copied it to a blank background then just treated it like any other layout. The only difference is all the photos are on one layer. Here is an example
    [​IMG]

3. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I used my mom's phone and made an app page. I exported it, loaded it into Dropbox and then played with it in PSE. It seemed like a lot of work to me, so I don't think I would do it. But I can see how it would work for others really well!

(I'm on Android, no PL app)

4. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

On my iPad, I tried that over the 2015-16 holidays and found that it took some fiddling to make a page that was as simple as the app promised but with enough of my own additions. In the app, I left some of the spots with full white spaces - mainly square edge, not rounded - and then used an action later in PSE to modify the shadowing and add a background paper - white with texture. IN PSE also, I added the extra things I had for the 'white blank spots' and just eyeballed them onto the white area as the exported layouts are not layered so no clipping. I then I resized it to 11" or 11.5" and played with putting that over a patterned paper. That made it easy but with my touches. (full disclosure - I'm an action tester so I get to play with this kind of thing to see if it 1. works and 2. makes sense to me!)

As I'm on a Mac and my iPhone IS my only camera, it encouraged me to cull my photos more often ON my phone/iPad and also not have to use Photos in my iMac that much. (Oh I miss iPhoto!). I do have weekly albums set up so the photos go into those slots automatically. You can also see from my (few) PL layouts here, I'm not much on adding a lot of elements on top of the basics.

bestcee likes this.
  5. cookingmylife

I am still testing out this app to see if it's really going to work for me. I also am using some actions post basic creation and really don't know if it's saving me time or not - app + later actions. Obviously, I don't have all my photos til Saturday night so in the end it's really Sunday that I'm making pages.

How is it working for you @Carri?

6. klee73010

klee73010 I might have a thing for drummers

it's available for Android now... :giggle

I've played with it a bit... If I'm going to make it work for me, I need Journal cards I totally love enough to add text ahead of time, and then into the app. I'd still probably want to bring it in to PSE after to add shadows. So... all in all... I love the IDEA that it could help me get some things documented, but the actual work involved to making it useful is not something I'm keen to taking on right now. Probably need more time in a day to sit and prepare Journal cards, and organize them in a fashion that would make sense on my phone.

bestcee likes this.
  7. Danyale

Danyale Always one step behind Waldo

I just won a Android version via their social media plug and am downloading tomorrow so I can get acquainted with it. From what I understand, it is like how @Lindzee said - send the pngs/jpegs of any digi kit stuff to a file in dropbox and pull it over like you do your photos. Right? So, if you write on your card in PS or whatever program you use, then upload to Dropbox - you are good to go.

Is there no way to add an item on a item...say a flower png over the edge a photo? That way you can "build" up your page in the app? I am so curious to get started!

8. klee73010

No... unfortunately there are no layering apps for Android that I've found. However, I did pull some of Jaimee's stacked journal cards over into Google photos. Unfortunately, I grabbed the non-trimmed ones, so if the elements goes over the edge, it causes problems. Also, if you use the PL cards IN the app, you can totally use their fonts and text alignment tools (which are FANTASTIC in my opinion ), I just don't love those kits. And I haven't been able to scrap without shadows or elements. It looks plain to me. I'm practicing!

jk703 and Danyale like this.
  9. sm_amber

sm_amber I learn from the best..

I've been using the app to document our pre-2015 years.. So far I've completed Jan-April 2014 over 20 pages and feel really good about that, lol.. (I'm sharing them in an album on my design FB if you're interested.) It's very different from my normal style, but I'm accepting that done is better than perfect. :) Once I get around to doing 2016, the plan is to pull MPM cards in and use that just like I used MPM for 2015. I've toyed around with the idea of then pulling into PS and embellishing, but we'll see how it goes. I kind of like that the limited scope of not having embellishments available speeds things along for me.. I'm SO indecisive that making those decisions REALLY slows me down.. :)

10. Lindzee

Lindzee Aging gracefully

You can save the pages from PL back to drop box and use another program like Rhonna or Letterglow to embellish further. I use Jamie's stacked frames in PL also.

11. klee73010

Letter glow is not available for Android... and my Rhonna app doesn't allow me to layer. I can use it for text though. My avatar pic here in the forum is a Rhonna app design :)
    Also, Over 3.0 for iOS is supposedly awesome for layering, but it doesn't work the same for android either.

There have been several blog posts and tutorials over the past year and I devour them all... buy all the apps and then they don't work. And my phone RAM and/or memory is too full so they run really slow. Argh. But i have hope!

I've also been wondering if I can just ask my family if they have any old iPhones. Lol

12. lorryfach

lorryfach Likes to be chauffeured

13. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I finally played with it in Android. I got annoyed at the text tools on a title card because it wouldn't put the text high enough for me! LOL. I do love Peppermint's collection, but I may just have to buy it in full digitally and enjoy it in Photoshop.

I really love the idea of it, and I could see using it for little things like a playday at the park. And I do love the idea above of using it for older photos.

14. cookingmylife

Working with the iPhone app today, I too can see it working for a lot of items. Pages while traveling can get started and then add the other stuff via actions later. This is just some photos I took today. I don't want to end up paying for Dropbox storage so I'm not keeping a lot there. btw, about 10 min from start in the app to resizing for upload. Not bad for time.

[​IMG]

15. klee73010

I had that for awhile, but don't anymore and don't remember why. I will look at it again.

@bestcee there is a way, but I don't remember how!!! I fiddled with it on one of my cards, too. I was able to move the text left/center/right, but also up and down on the card, and the spacing between the lines.

16. scrapsandsass

scrapsandsass Oh Ricky you're so fine ...

I was so excited that they finally had it for Android. I love it because my laptop is a nightmare. It is dying. So anything I can do on my phone is great. Especially at those times where you have to wait prior to appointments or pickups or whatever. I just started my 2016 album with it because I loved the kit that Amber created and it was a much cheaper option (for my at-the-moment limited budget) than buying the digital PL kit... which seems so weird to me. (I know I just need to bite the bullet and buy the full digital version.) LOL. I was wondering about how to save/import the started pages to PSE though, so I guess I will do some playing around with things mentioned by you all.

17. renee82

renee82 renee82

I don't do my regular PL pages with it, but having said that, I've used it to create my Disney Vacation album as well as my yearly photo albums. I love it! When I created my Disney album, I wanted more freedom with my journaling so I exported them to Dropbox and then opened them in PSE and then when I was done, saved it as a jpeg and loaded it into the photobook program I was using. I also like to create a separate album with all of my photos. I never usually finish PL, so at least all my photos get printed this way. I also plan to do all my family vacations this way. It's such a great tool with so many different possibilities and options. :)

scrapsandsass likes this.
  18. scrapsandsass

So you export them as a jpeg and then add text over it and resave?

19. renee82

renee82 renee82

Exactly! :) I just save to my "save image" and then go to my photo stream and then save that image to drop box and then go to my computer, grab it out of drop box and then open in PSE. I do it for all my photo albums now. Let me know if you have any other questions @scrapsandsass

scrapsandsass likes this.
  20. scrapsandsass

Thanks, @renee82. You are awesome. I'm going to give it a try!