Do you use the one year rule?

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by PLM, Apr 10, 2015.

1. PLM

PLM I know there's something in the wake of your smile

I don't know about you, but I am someone who has a hard time to let things go. I would keep things for memory's sake, but to be honest, the only time I am looking at it again is when I am cleaning up and wondering if I should keep it or not.
    I also have been gathering stuff for the one day I would have time and start getting creative with my hands (which is a challenge for me, since I am not a handy person).

Lately, I have been bugged and bummered because my house seems to be in a constant state of things hanging and laying around. :hissy:furious
    Allthough I am cleaning up every day... I am kind of getting tired of it.
    So, I read the one year rule: if you haven't used in a year, throw or give it away. I'm really considering to do this, 'cause it would make space free and give me some of my boxes back. :giggle

Do you use this for your cleaning/organizing or do you have any other tips?

2. lorryfach

lorryfach Likes to be chauffeured

I try to use FlyLady's rule: don't need it, use it, or love it? Then toss it! Still easier said than done, but it does help to be able to just ask "do I need this? do I love it?" I don't think I would do well with a one-year rule because then I'd have to try to remember when things happened and that would waste my energy!

3. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

My husband has that rule.. me.. I still hang on... I do want to go through things though and try that motto.. some things are so hard to let go of though and will always be I think. Just the thought of attempting to do this makes me crazy.

4. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

No way! I'm a keeper of things. LOL. Unfortunately we have a LOT of storage in our house which just encouraging me to keep more stuff. I do go through purging phases where I will finally let things go and I'm actually in one of those moods right now too!

5. QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom I'll never run out of things to do!

If I followed that rule my house would be so clean! It's always in a state of chaos. Sigh.

6. Nemla

Nemla Stretching my skill set

I have one that works.... most of the time. Pretend you are moving house, and that you have to decide what to take with you to your new (smaller) home. Only keep what you would actually pack and take with you if it was real.. you will be amazed !

7. NancyBeck

NancyBeck Happy resident of Pollyville

I like to throw things away. I hate clutter, but I live with a house full of hoarders and clutter bugs! Truth be told, it drives me absolutely crazy, trying to figure out what to do with all their stuff that they don't put away.

8. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

I'm similar to Nancy! BUT I'm making strides. I tell them they have to find "homes" for their things. My youngest boy is a hoarder. So... I've started putting things he likes to keep (that I would throw out) into his sock drawer. LOL! Once it gets unmanageable, he has to go through it and figure out what is still important and what isn't. My oldest is getting better, but we follow the same idea for the sock drawer - he will ask for a picture if he can't totally let go.

For now, this is working.

9. dvhoward

dvhoward Don't bother me before 10am!

I purged quite a bit when I had my big retirement yard sale last June. I cleared out 20+ years of teaching stuff and house things. It felt good. I NEED to do that with my craft room, FINALLY let go of the stamping and paper scrapping things that I haven't touched in 3 years.

10. lmjrocko

lmjrocko See that in my rear view mirror? That's Michigan!

I don't think 1 year is enough time. I have a 3 year rule...... Ebay is my best friend!

11. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

We are following that rule this year wing a few book exceptions.

12. SirScrapalot

SirScrapalot Tackling my to-do list with gusto

I use the one year rule very stringently when it comes to clothing!

13. bderby

bderby No, I will not tell you what "merde" means!

I need to be better about this, but I come from a long line of "we might be able to use this someday" believers and so we have hung on to a lot of things--for better or worse.

I need to definitely have a purge and plan to this summer when I have a break from school.

14. Dana

Dana Dana

i used to be better at this too .. now i think the only thing that is really keeping this organized is the fact that we've moved twice in 5 years ... that really makes you evaluate what you need/want.

15. Trista

Trista I'm Working On It

I am a keeper of things. I should definitely give the one year rule a shot. Maybe tomorrow. :giggle

16. MrsPeel

MrsPeel LOVE LOVE LOVE!!!

I did try, as I am a hopeless hoarder.... but it doesn't work with me, because I have seen Sarita wearing stuff that I had not used for almost 10 years ...like for her graduation ceremony, and for prom..... all stuff I didnt use but kept because it was so gorgeous and ...well...because I like keeping stuff LOL
    I'm trying now to get rid of some stuff and almost succeed with kitchen stuff....
    I ll try make an effort when the weather gets warmer as I need to empty my shed...only to think about it gives me shivers...

17. mlewis

mlewis mlewis

I am definition a believer in the one year rule. My husband, however, is definitely not.

18. amandac

amandac Read, or Run? Hmmm ...

Cleaning and organizing? Two words I hate!!

19. JillW

JillW I love lavend ... zzzzzz ...

Esh - I am constantly purging - I am not a "keeper" --- almost to a fault. I seem to get rid of things that I end up needing!! I just took 5 bags full of "stuff" to Goodwill last week. Every time I purge I dig a little deeper -- getting rid of more and more. The only things I do not purge are mementos and things that were my parents that they handed down to me.

20. Lindzee

Lindzee Aging gracefully

This is my life too. I am a purger, my husband keeps everything and seems to want it all where he can see it. Drives me crazy, cause I hate clutter. It's really the only thing we disagree on...